Motability question? We can answer it.

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo

There are many questions members have about the motability scheme such as :-

Can I extend my lease?

Can I change my car before my contract is up and if so will it cost me anything?

How much is the GCB and will I get it if I have a few scratches?

What happens if I lose PIP?

If you have any questions about motability, then this is the place to come. We have many knowledgeable members only to willing to give advice. Many of our members have been on the scheme for decades and know virtually everything there is to know about the scheme.

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 732 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ahmeda123
      Participant

Hi im a newly passed 17 year old and was wondering if id be able to be a named driver on my dads motability car we live 5minutes away from eachover and was also wondering how we’d go about getting a car he gets full rate of pip and I am also his carer

David M
        Participant

Hi, I’m looking to go back on Motability after something like 4 years. I went onto their site and started an account. When I filled in the details for going on the car lease scheme it stopped me at the DWP check because I have an appointee. Thing is the appointee (my Mother) is now 89 years old and in poor health. The DWP had told me over the phone that it will take months to change over from appointee to me but that I should be able to apply in my name. Seems that’s not the case.  My mother is still able to sign on my behalf but we don’t know how long she has. What would happen if the car was down under my mother as appointee and she was no longer around?

kezo
          Participant

Hi im a newly passed 17 year old and was wondering if id be able to be a named driver on my dads motability car we live 5minutes away from eachover and was also wondering how we’d go about getting a car he gets full rate of pip and I am also his carer

That very much depend on the BHP and insurance group of the vehicle.

For petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles, you can only get a vehicle with an ABI Insurance Group rating of 16 or lower and a power output of 120 brake horsepower (bhp) or less
            For electric cars, you can only get a vehicle with an ABI Insurance Group rating of 21 or lower and a power output of 140 bhp or less

https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/faqs/can-young-drivers-join/

Does your dad already have a Motability car or is he thinking of getting one?

If your dad is thinking of signing up for a Motability car, you can be a named driver as long, as the above conditions are met. However if you are thinking your dad will get a Motability car, to pass onto you and its not for the benifit to your dad, be carefull! Also you as a named driver will not accumulate any no claims bonus by using a Motability vehicle.

Ahmeda123
            Participant

Thanks for the response off course not however someone said if I don’t live with him I can’t be a named driver

MFillingham
              Participant

Thanks for the response off course not however someone said if I don’t live with him I can’t be a named driver

You don’t have to live with the disabled person to be a named driver.  It does get complicated if you are the only named driver as they may need convincing that the car isn’t for your benefit.

As with everything in life, some people have taken the Micky and used the motability car for their own car and that’s not what the scheme is for.  Thus they now get understandably concerned when a sole driver lives away from the disabled person.  If you leave the car with your dad, that’ll help settle their nerves.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Kjid5
                Participant

Hi my PIP is due for renewal March 2024 and the window to order my new car opens 10th February (lease ends May 2024). Despite DWP first contacting me about the renewal last July I have even had an assessment yet just text messages saying they’ve still got my forms etc.  I’m sure motability understandably won’t let me order a new car but what will happen when my lease expires if this situation continues? Will I be left without a car? Sorry if this has been asked before I did go through several pages trying to find similar questions but am unclear.

ksb3
                  Participant

Thanks kazo, have visited kia and ford Pentagon.  Will dwell on it for bit. None interested in taking my old car from me. Looking for best way to sell it. Hoping dealer would have took it to offset AP.

Participant

Hi my PIP is due for renewal March 2024 and the window to order my new car opens 10th February (lease ends May 2024)…

I believe you only have to fulfill the “12 months left on your award” rule on your initial or first lease. I am in a similar situation, well under 12 months remaining,  reassessment forms sent in, but with no updates at all, and have just ordered a new car myself. I started my application online via the motability account and it did take overnight for them to confirm my eligibility but then went through without issues.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

ksb3
                      Participant

Hi All,  just like to pick your brains again. with another question. Have decided( almost ) on a Ford Kuga ST line X edition in black.  Took one out for test drive and was very nice. Only problem I had was the Door pillars are very thick and you can`t do the look over shoulder when coming on road / motorway at an angle. Have noticed that there is a Kuga Graphite version with driver assist pack which does blind spot assist. But AP on this is just under £4000.  Are the AP prices set in stone or has anyone managed a discount ? The ST Line X is £3245.   AP. If  I could get £500 off the Graphite, it would be a great deal. Thanks in advance for any help .

cazzab71
                        Participant

Hi have you tried a test drive in the seat ateca, great visibility driving position, if you go for the top spec auto it has 360 top View cameras and heated front seats , power boot release and lots of safety features for AP of £2495 unfortunately no heated steering wheel or powered seat, if you go for the lesser spec it does have heated seats and powered seat but no 360 camera

ksb3
                          Participant
                            1. Thanks cazzab will look at the spec, and most of all pay a visit to garage to sit in one
                            Geriboo
                            Participant

Seat Ateca Auto Xperience Lux has heated seats, heated steering wheel, leather seats, powered tailgate, 360° camera, blindspot warning, 19″ tyres,  self parking for parallel and bay parking.

Ive driven the lower spec xperience for the last 3 years.  Only once did I miss having the blindspot warning. Mirrors are great and great visibility.  Has been a really good drive, but I’m changing to new while I can.

With the £750 help, that brings the AP down to £1745. Plus, depending, on how much you can get,  another £250 off for Good Condition Bonus.

Kjid5
                              Participant

Thank you so much Colin, that’s taken a weight off my mind. Now to start working out what to replace my ( excellent) Mitsubishi outlander PHEV with 🙂

cazzab71
                                Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hope you like the spec and if you get chance to test drive one hopefully you will  love it?I’ve got the xperience lux it hasn’t got heated steering wheel and as far am I’m aware neither has the new version but I could be wrong, but I think the ateca is a fantastic car no problems with mine had it 5 years</p>

Geriboo
                                  Participant

Oh. My Seat rep said it did and it appears on Listers Seat site. Oh well,  good job i canceled then.  ???

The only persistent issue I’ve had is a howling rear passenger wheel when I reverse.  Full 4 brakes replacement, but it didn’t resolve. Got so fed up before Christmas went back to dealer.

They found it’s a fault with the caliper. I haven’t bothered to go back tbh. I was booked in to get it sorted and I ended up waiting over an hour for them to replace it. They then told me the wrong part had been sent, then I was told the part hadn’t been authorised.

I had a couple of nice cups of coffee and watched half of the muppet movie while I was there.  Decided not to bother to return.

Kjid5
                                    Participant

Hi my PIP is due for renewal March 2024 and the window to order my new car opens 10th February (lease ends May 2024)…

I believe you only have to fulfill the “12 months left on your award” rule on your initial or first lease. I am in a similar situation, well under 12 months remaining, reassessment forms sent in, but with no updates at all, and have just ordered a new car myself. I started my application online via the motability account and it did take overnight for them to confirm my eligibility but then went through without issues.

just to confirm I have one month left on my PIP. Window opens to order new motability car 10th February. I’ve spoken to both DWP and Motability and I’m allowed to still order my car as the delay isn’t my fault it’s the huge backlogs DWP are having to deal with.

Kjid5
                                      Participant

Handover dates. What happens if your new car is available after your order window opens but before the lease handover date? Is the handover date set in stone as the first date you could take delivery of the new car? Even if it’s available from stock?

Glos Guy
                                        Participant

Handover dates. What happens if your new car is available after your order window opens but before the lease handover date? Is the handover date set in stone as the first date you could take delivery of the new car? Even if it’s available from stock?

I’m afraid that you can’t take delivery until your current lease ends, unless you are on an extension as these can be terminated at any time.

PR
                                          Participant

I read on a Facebook site that when it gets beyond the middle of the month prior to plate number change i.e. mid February and mid August that Motability tell the dealerships to hold off registering a car until the new month for the small increase in second hand value the newer plate number provides.  Does anyone know whether this is in fact the case?

Also, if the car has to go offsite to an Adaptations fitter, does that tend to go on trade plates or after registration?

kezo
                                            Participant

I read on a Facebook site that when it gets beyond the middle of the month prior to plate number change i.e. mid February and mid August that Motability tell the dealerships to hold off registering a car until the new month for the small increase in second hand value the newer plate number provides. Does anyone know whether this is in fact the case?

I wouldn’t say so.

Sir Limpalot
                                              Participant

Good morning all

Just a quick question regarding the tyre repair/inflation kits that are often supplied in lieu of a traditional spare wheel…. If one has cause to use the kit what, if any, is the procedure for replacing the repair “gunk”?  Does Kwik fit/the dealer replace it or is it left to the lessee to replace it themselves? If so, is there a need to replace it like for like from the dealer or is it permissible to purchase a similar item from a store  like Halfords and if so, what brand is best?  Have never needed such but whilst waiting for my new car on March 15th my mind has been on such things?

Regards

ChrisK
                                                Participant

@Sir Limpalot

I’ve been lucky too and never had to use the gunk cans but my understanding from others is the dealer would replace the can free of charge but you would think as KwikFit would be the actual repairer of the tyre that they would replace it at the same time.

You could of course buy your own if you wanted but MB would not bare that cost.

Sir Limpalot
                                                  Participant

Thank you Chris?

Markymate
                                                    Participant

@Sir Limpalot  Had a puncture on the motorway and used the tire repair gunk. Worked a treat, until I got the tire replaced.  Got a new kit free of charge from my SEAT dealer.

Sir Limpalot
                                                      Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 732 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.