Motability question? We can answer it.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #173917 Reply
    Brydo

There are many questions members have about the motability scheme such as :-

Can I extend my lease?

Can I change my car before my contract is up and if so will it cost me anything?

How much is the GCB and will I get it if I have a few scratches?

What happens if I lose PIP?

If you have any questions about motability, then this is the place to come. We have many knowledgeable members only to willing to give advice. Many of our members have been on the scheme for decades and know virtually everything there is to know about the scheme.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177065 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

if you receive wpms or afip there is a grant from the veterans agency ref auto gearbox its £660. the paperwork is simple and the grants dept from mota will sort it all for you.

#177067 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’m a disabled driver who had his license to drive manual cars taken away from me when I became disabled with DVLA replacing it, rightly so, with automatics only license and I’ve complained to Motability many a time about the way we are treated and although there sympathetic and tell me they’ve made a note on my account that’s as near I’ve ever got with help towards the extra cost of automatics.

These days though I’m more annoyed about the cost of hoist for our cars but again all you will hear from Motability is the sound of a violins playing in the background while they talk with a sympathetic voice.

#177108 Reply
    joss

These are all things that could be easily sorted out from the £2.5 Billion Motability are sitting on. Just think of the interest that amount of money is accruing. That in its self would go a long way to meeting the cost of auto boxes.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#177133 Reply
    Volkswin

Hi Glos Guy, thats what I thought maybe the rep ws getting mixed up with grants available to ex armed forces personnel.

It does stick in the throat a bit that we always ending up paying around at minimum of at least £1000 premium more than the manual equivalent vehicle, especially as my wife has no option other than to drive a automatic.

#177134 Reply
    Volkswin

Hi Mitch, unfortunately my wife does not receive any of the benefits/awards you mention.

Maybe the rep was thinking of these.

#177135 Reply
    Volkswin

Hi Chris K, my wife is in the same situation, had her license for a manual taken away and had to do another test as she can only drive with a left foot accelerator as such she struggles to drive vehicles with a bellow type accelerator pedal.

She also needs a vehicle that is able to have a hoist fitted for her motorised wheel chair, as she has difficulty stretching she also needs a vehicle with a auto tailgate, so we are used to paying £2000 plus AP, with the recent rises in AP the vehicles we would normally look at are now in the £5-6000 bracket by the time you include the adaptions.

#177137 Reply
    Volkswin

Hi Joss,

Agree completely even a 50% contribution towards the difference between the Manual and Auto would be welcome.

#177573 Reply
    Nick

Hiya,

If I cancel my order for a new car, how long before I have to give the current car back?  I’m already on extension so should be immediate?

Thanks

#177577 Reply
    Rene

I would assume you can keep it for as long as you extended it for.

But it’s something that’s down to the discretion of Motability, so your best bet would be to ask them – as far as i know, there’s no particular ruleset anywhere online, so mileage may vary.

#177663 Reply
    Michelle Fryer

My motability car was involved in an accident. There was no blame on me and the other party has taken full responsibility.  The other car is a write off and I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for mine to be assessed.  I have a hire vehicle at the moment.  I am so worried that if mine cannot be repaired that I have to join the nightmare of waiting for a replacement.  Would the insurance replace my car for the same model, how does it work?

#177679 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My motability car was involved in an accident. There was no blame on me and the other party has taken full responsibility. The other car is a write off and I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for mine to be assessed. I have a hire vehicle at the moment. I am so worried that if mine cannot be repaired that I have to join the nightmare of waiting for a replacement. Would the insurance replace my car for the same model, how does it work?

Hi Michelle. I’m sorry to hear about your accident. Motability operate a bit differently to other lease car providers or some company car schemes, so it’s difficult to give a full answer without knowing the full picture with your car. It seems odd that you haven’t heard anything after 3 weeks.

If you car can be repaired then you will be provided with a hire car for the duration that your Motability car is off the road. However, you do not have to accept the standard car that they offer if it doesn’t suit your needs. Our Motability car had to go in for accident damage for a week last year and I said that we needed a decent sized SUV to accommodate my wife’s wheelchair, so we were provided with a Mercedes GLB.

As your car is probably less than 3 years old I would think that it’s unlikely that it would be a write off, but if it is and you need a new car then this is where the Motability scheme is unfortunately quite inflexible. Firstly, I don’t think that it works like private insurance where you might get a like for like replacement if the car is under a year old. You would definitely be able to order a new car but I believe that it would need to be from the current list of what’s available (I don’t know this as a fact though, so best to check with them if it happens). Also, many company car schemes allow people to use cars that have been returned early from other drivers for the remainder of their lease, which is great as you always have a decent choice of cars to choose from if you are waiting for a new car to be built. Motability doesn’t do this. As you are an established customer I don’t believe that you will be left without a car, but with many new cars taking anything between 6 and 18 months at present a hire car would cost them a fortune, so there might be some flexibility now but if there is I haven’t heard about it.

As you are understandably worrying about this I would call Motability (rather than the insurance company) and ask for some clarity on what your options are. Let us know what happens.

#177700 Reply
    Michelle

Thanks.  There’s a delay at the repair centre for the repair assessment, as they have a backlog of cars to assess.  I think I’ll ring motability, so I have an idea of potential options.

#177745 Reply
    Paul

Hi all,can someone with more brain cells than me clarify this email from my dealer please?

“I have just checked on the Qashqai delivery and it is currently showing back order I have just emailed Nissan dealer support for an update as the car was showing a delivery date before they updated the system.

Once I have an update I will of course let you know.”

My confusion is the “Qashqai delivery” section.Car was ordered oct 13 2021 .was told feb,then april .

Is it built and delivery is delayed or did dealer mean build slot?

Thanks in advance

#177757 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Paul. It sounds as though your dealer had a build allocation slot, so placed the order with the manufacturer (which is good news in the present climate), but it had originally been allocated a build date but has now moved back in the order process with the build date now removed or moved back. This happens quite a bit but customers rarely know unless their dealer is switched on and checks regularly. Then, of course, not all dealers communicate this to customers! It sounds as though you have a good dealer and they are checking regularly and keeping you up to date.

#177833 Reply
    Paul

Cheers @Glos Guy

#179476 Reply
    andybram

Why do threads have to wait for mods approval? And they decide if threads are good enough for the forum? Not only is Motability becoming a joke so is this forum!

I started a thread asking “why Motability” basically asking why is there only Motability doing this scheme, it’s supposed to be a charity yet is owned by four big banks, pays its staff huge sums like it’s boss on around £2 million a year, it’s going downhill faster than a 10 ton truck, it doesn’t care about us and it’s just a massive money making machine.

Why is there only Motability? Why has no other charity started up to rival Motability? I would jump at the chance of moving from Motability as I expect would many others.

I think these questions would have made an interesting thread but no the mods on here didn’t seem this discussion relevant or didn’t like it, are they in bed with Motability? I’d assume so if they don’t like discussions on this. Disgusting.

#179497 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

The reason your thread needed to be moderated is you are trying to post it from a non signed in account and all posts from such are inspected before approval as stated a couple of weeks ago in an effort to stop spam and trolls.

#179502 Reply
    Peter

@andybram

“Why do threads have to wait for mods approval? And they decide if threads are good enough for the forum? Not only is Motability becoming a joke so is this forum!”

Unfortunately, in common with lots of other sites, there are more and more idiots/spammers/trolls appearing.  Moderators do a thankless task with no pay.  Yes, the site owners and moderators can decide what goes on as on every other forum.  If you think this forum is becoming a joke, might I suggest you start your own off.  I’m sure everyone here would be happy to visit and let you know what they think.

There are already plenty of threads dumping on Motability where the points you mention have been done to death.  To insult the Mods and call them disgusting is pathetic.  If I was a mod, you would have been barred for it.

If you don’t like the forum – leave.

#179507 Reply
    joss

@vinalspin @Peter

Thank you for your posts regarding @andybram. Saves me a lot of typing. Cheers

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179535 Reply
    andybram

Firstly I haven’t seen any trolls making threads, the odd post literally over the space of months but no threads, and I look on here every day.

Secondly even if threads have to be approved fair enough but there is no reason for my thread not to have been allowed. It was for a discussion on Motability and their monopoly on this scheme. I don’t care if someone above says most of the points have been discussed because that’s utter nonsense, it’s like deleting every thread on delivery times, or bmw or charging EVs, it all been discussed over and over and over again, that’s what forums are for, you know to discuss topics. I fully expect all the threads below that have already been discussed over the past 6 months to be deleted, of course they won’t. Discussing how Motability is going down hill fast, their monopoly, pay big wigs hide sums, being owned by banks, all while supposedly being a charity with helping us at heart (ha) would have been a very interesting discussion but the gastapo say No to this discussion, I wonder why?

And as someone has basically asked me to leave, I will do just that but I’ll leave you with this, this forum is becoming a shambles like Motability and not only do I hope a new charity  appears to rival Motability but hope someone starts a new website and forum to rival this place which can only be called a load of nonsense. Good once upon a time but those days are sadly gone.

#179544 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

You could register an account and start any thread you like?
    It only takes a couple of mins.

#179545 Reply
    Paul

Was just going to suggest same thing@ DBtruth.

registering would of saved all this.Although i think the subject content being deleted is @andybram main issue.

#179787 Reply
    James

Hi everyone so I have a question for a friend of mine, He ordered a motability car in May last year and it will be ready for pickup in early April it has a £2499 advance payment due

He said he might be £300 short on the advance payment when its handover day I told him to call motability and explain or I could lend him the money.

He doesn’t want to take the money from me and he doesn’t know what motability will say if he calls and explains? What would you guys do?

#179788 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Hi everyone so I have a question for a friend of mine, He ordered a motability car in May last year and it will be ready for pickup in early April it has a £2499 advance payment due He said he might be £300 short on the advance payment when its handover day I told him to call motability and explain or I could lend him the money. He doesn’t want to take the money from me and he doesn’t know what motability will say if he calls and explains? What would you guys do?

In my humble opinion your friend would be better of excepting your offer to lend him the £300 shortfall, cant see Motability helping

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#179790 Reply
    James

Ok I will tell him that

Hopefully he takes your guys advice, I said the same thing that I can’t see motability doing anything about it

I can’t see the dealer being happy either if you go down on delivery day without the full amount of money :/

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 121 total)
Reply To: Motability question? We can answer it.
Your information: