Quarter 2 1st April 2024 – News and updates

• Creator
    Topic
    monty
    Participant

What are people hoping for realistically to come on for the next quarter?

Viewing 25 replies - 326 through 350 (of 430 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

High up for me to get in and lovely at my local dealer 5 miles away

solent60
        Participant

it is indeed Solent as you know I’ve loved my Chr well the new model was £2495 now £1545 and another £750 off I’m ordering in morning in metallic silver no heated seats but everything else I’m very happy

Glad for you Mike. I really enjoyed my 3 years in the C-HR I had. I’d have loved the new GR Sport C-HR (or Corolla GR Sport) but the sportier Toyota’s are a little out of my price range at present.

Happy day for you tomorrow then Mike what with ordering a new C-HR. Go easy on the Bailey’s today though. 😉

Andy
          Participant

This Motability push to try and get everyone into EV’s is what will make me leave the scheme once our current lease is up in 2027.
            For people who can’t afford to private purchase, it is going to be increasingly difficult to not end up in a potentially unsuitable car.
            Motability needs to have a good hard look at itself imo.

Participant

This Motability push to try and get everyone into EV’s is what will make me leave the scheme once our current lease is up in 2027. For people who can’t afford to private purchase, it is going to be increasingly difficult to not end up in a potentially unsuitable car. Motability needs to have a good hard look at itself imo.

Same here, they’re definitely on a mission with this. I was hoping to be able to extend my next car by 2 years but now you can’t even do that. Already starting to regret my return to Motability after a break of a few years.

ScotT
              Spectator

Unfortunately there will be no ICE vehicles at some point and currently the only real alternative is EV’s

Elliot
                Participant

The deals Motability will be getting on EV’s at the moment makes it a no brainer for them. The discounts available are astronomical as nobody is buying them. Then take the VAT off and they’re quids in.

Glos Guy
                  Participant

Unfortunately there will be no ICE vehicles at some point and currently the only real alternative is EV’s

With the delayed deadlines, the exceptionally slow take up of EVs amongst private buyers, and the fact that the average age of cars on our roads is 9 years old, the situation that you describe is at least 25 years away. That’s 8 or 9 Motability leases away!

solent60
                    Participant

That ban on ICE cars is still 11-years away yet. Plenty of time (and plenty of car manufacturer’s) are still producing petrol cars for those who can’t charge at home. The hope is that in that 11-year period, the country finally gets it act together & installs a helluva lot more charging points than there is now… way more. Until it does that, it’s a big “no” from millions of car drivers – me included.

NanasRob71
                      Participant

The installation of rapid chargers is doing very nicely.

I’ve had my BMW i3s for over three years now and the increase in chargers has been very apparent. We frequently do a Surrey to Northumberland trip with no destination charging, which means over 1000 miles with public charging.

It’s honestly not a problem. Even on our last trip in November we noticed two major motorways services, Scotch Corner and Watford gap have both added twelve new rapid chargers.

We didn’t queue a single time.

I’d just like to bring some actual real-life experience from a wheelchair user.

It can get frustrating when I hear how bad the charging infrastructure is from people who have never used it.

ScotT
                        Spectator

That ban on ICE cars is still 11-years away yet. Plenty of time (and plenty of car manufacturer’s) are still producing petrol cars for those who can’t charge at home. The hope is that in that 11-year period, the country finally gets it act together & installs a helluva lot more charging points than there is now… way more. Until it does that, it’s a big “no” from millions of car drivers – me included.

Exactly this, there is no real need for panic, its simply a the process of a transition period.

Participant

Toyota motability man just phoned asked if could be there 9am in morning to order that’s no problem do I just take driving licence national insurance number and pips entitlement certificate ?

Rich44
                            Participant

There’s nearly 1000 cars on the scheme Inc variations and only 229 of them are EVs.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of Motability like RAC response times, lack of hire cars, excessive “profits” etc but they’re not ramming EVs down anyone’s throats the vast majority of cars aren’t electric

Remember the push to electric is government driven, also manufacturers are probably behind this as much as Motability given the huge fines they face if they don’t keep % ice to EV right.

I get home charging is a big issue for a lot of people that needs addressing but honestly if you make changes at home an EV can be a total no brainer (at least for us we’re lucky as we can get an EV really cheaply). We’re lucky we have an air source heat pump and in December we got a 4kw solar install. Today we’ve been running the house and still exporting 1.6kw this plus an EV saves a fortune each month vs diesel and heating oil.

I’d strongly urge anyone sceptical about electric unless you tow get an EV for a long test drive you’ll be surprised

blackj
                              Participant

Using public charging ie garages would make the cost of running an ev far to expensive for me. Octopus 7.5 pence rate is the only way I can afford it. If I didn’t have a home charger it would be hybrids.

moggy
                                Participant

Wow some people just don’t get it. The ban on ICE cars have effectively already started. Yes I know you can buy an ICE car but manufacturers must sell 22% of new cars which are EV or face a £15000 fine per car. In a few years it will be over 50% and by 2030 at least 80%. Many manufacturers won’t sell ICE cars well before 2035

Motability are offered good deals on EV’s because the manufacturers need to meet the 22%, what do you think it’s going to be like when they need to sell over 50% Don’t blame Motability if they’re not offered the same incentives for ICE cars.

kezo
                                  Participant

Toyota motability man just phoned asked if could be there 9am in morning to order that’s no problem do I just take driving licence national insurance number and pips entitlement certificate ?

Yes mate 🙂

Participant

Many thanks Kezo

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

@Rich44 and @moggy some valid points, but do keep in mind that a few years ago there were over 4,000 cars on the scheme (and some years before that around 6,000) and none of those were EVs or PHEVs, so the reduction in choice of ICE cars has been catastrophic, especially if you want a decent size SUV (as many of us need for access and wheelchairs etc). Add PHEVs and well over one third of the vehicles on the scheme are EVs or PHEVs. That does not reflect the current market in any way whatsoever. Private buyers are shunning EVs yet Motability customers are effectively being pushed down this road (as per @MFillingham thread on this subject). We are many years away from the overall market reflecting the shape of the current Motability offer.

KevC68
                                        Participant

In the interest of balance, the 2035 deadline used to be the 2030 deadline, and I wouldn’t bet much money that it doesn’t become something different again before we get there. The EU already made its first concession on the 2035 deadline a year ago.

Oscarmax
                                          Participant

We are fortunate we have solar panels, a battery, a PodPoint 7kW charger and our own drive, we can charge up off peak or off the panels, however we are the minority the majority of Mobility customer do not have these facilities.

kezo
                                            Participant

In the interest of balance, the 2035 deadline used to be the 2030 deadline, and I wouldn’t bet much money that it doesn’t become something different again before we get there. The EU already made its first concession on the 2035 deadline a year ago.

I get that and you are probably right but, due to the ZEV mandate Motability will transverse into an all electric Motability scheme far sooner than the retail auto market in general, as manufacturers will offload to avoid hefty fines.

In comparison BEV’s account for only 6% of private buyers, leaving lease schemes to pick up the marketshare.

moggy
                                              Participant

Well in a few years time over 52% of new cars must be EV, Private buyers better adjust pretty Quickly if they want a new car. Manufacturers simply will not give you the choice. There’s no way they’re going to pay £15000 per car.

ScotT
                                                Spectator

With the delayed deadlines, the exceptionally slow take up of EVs amongst private buyers, and the fact that the average age of cars on our roads is 9 years old, the situation that you describe is at least 25 years away. That’s 8 or 9 Motability leases away!

that’s wrong, once the dead line passes in 11 years there will be no NEW ICE as stated above. however anything could happen

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

that’s wrong, once the dead line passes in 11 years there will be no NEW ICE as stated above. however anything could happen

You’re quite right. I was being a bit tongue in cheek to make a point. However, I agree that anything could happen – and probably will.

2 years ago many of the EV enthusiasts on this site ridiculed me when I said that the 2030 cut-off would have to move back at least 5 years. All the usual tripe about being ‘anti EV’ and being in ‘denial’ for stating what, to me, was the blindingly obvious based upon take up rates. Since the 5 year shift the take up has slowed even more amongst private buyers. I know that Labour (who will, without doubt, be in government later this year) have said that they will revert to the original dates (or have they now gone quiet on that, as they do on so many things that they sound off about?) but they have a major problem. Consumers aren’t with them on this pace of change and are voting with their wallets. Labour will want two terms in Parliament to enact the programme of change that Starmer envisages (which, hopefully at some time before the election he may share with us!) so they won’t want to be enforcing policies that are deeply unpopular. I’m with @KevC68 that things may well change – again.

kezo
                                                    Participant

It wasn’t long ago, the ban was 6/7 years away and now its 11yrs. No one here today will know what’s going to happen in 10 or more years time!

NanasRob71
                                                      Participant

It wasn’t long ago, the ban was 6/7 years away and now its 11yrs. No one here today will know what’s going to happen in 10 or more years time!

But all the main car manufacturers are committed to BEV, look at BMW. They can’t just stop and immediately start building ICE cars again.

Also remember that year on year all manufactures need to be selling an increasing percentage of EV vehicles. This kind of juggernaught can’t just be stopped on a political whim.

Viewing 25 replies - 326 through 350 (of 430 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.