Quarter 2 1st April 2024 – News and updates

• Creator
    Topic
    monty
    Participant

What are people hoping for realistically to come on for the next quarter?

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 440 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Glos Guy
      Participant

@NanasRob71 Nobody is suggesting that manufacturers should stop making EVs and the ICE cars are already being built – and are still being bought in their droves by private buyers – so they don’t need to ‘start’ building them?

The shift of the cut-off date by 5 years has already slowed the juggernaut somewhat and, as the revised date draws closer, the government of the day will have to listen to what the public wants or the juggernaut will be stopped by a stinger at the ballot box ?

Brydo
        Participant

I think I read somewhere that the UK is almost the only major country where the sale of EVs is stagnant. We are unfortunately not a “can do” country and that’s a pity.

I certainly understand that EVs are not for everyone at this early stage of adoption. On this forum in particular there are many not able to make the change due to illness of one type or another even being an anxious type of person can make the thought of finding a charger or running out of power more trouble than its worth.

My son who is in his early thirties was getting really fed up looking for chargers and every other night he would moan about it to me as i had persuaded him to make the move to a BEV. His work have now installed chargers and i dont even speak to him about it now as its “sorted”.

With regards to motability forcing EVs on to its members i dont really see it. We all know the story of spending weeks looking at a number of cars, making your choice only for it to removed from the scheme the week before you could choose. Depending on the financial outlook Motability will be every manufacturers go-to outlet for their cars or a company they avoid. So I don’t believe Motability have as much control as many think they have. Also they need to make a profit so if EVs are the best way to do that, with major discounts from manufacturers, then I say bring on more EVs.

We did see the Tory government bottle it and cave in to their “King Canute” old codger members shifting the deadline back five years. Thankfully they will be out of office very very soon and hopefully, a labour government will bring it back ?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
          Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

FiestaRed
          Participant

I think this post has gone a little off topic. It started off all about the second quarter of 2024.

Mother Nature don't draw straight lines, We're broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds..........

Rene
            Participant

Unfortunately there will be no ICE vehicles at some point and currently the only real alternative is EV’s

With the delayed deadlines, the exceptionally slow take up of EVs amongst private buyers, and the fact that the average age of cars on our roads is 9 years old, the situation that you describe is at least 25 years away. That’s 8 or 9 Motability leases away!

that’s wrong, once the dead line passes in 11 years there will be no NEW ICE as stated above. however anything could happen

It wasn’t long ago, the ban was 6/7 years away and now its 11yrs. No one here today will know what’s going to happen in 10 or more years time!

Do people realise that while the 100% ban of new ICE vehicles got delayed by 5 years, the required sales quota has in fact barely slowed down? To point out the incredibly obvious (to anyone with even just a marginal understanding of the matter), here are the numbers.

This year, 22% of all cars have to be electric. Next year, it’s 28%. 2026: 33%.

In 2030: instead of the former 100% of all sales, it’s now 80%. And you bet any penny you got that these ICE cars will NOT be your bread and butter vehicles, but the ones that make the most money. Bentley GTs, anything that has 8, 10, 12 or more cylinders. Proper expensive cars.

For you and me, the deadline absolutely is still 2030.

Again. From 2030 to 2035 the required quota rises from 80% to 100%. 20% in 5 years. From 2025 to 2030 the quota rises from 28% to 80%. 52% in 5 years.

Those 5 years absolutely make zero difference to any of us. The 20% ICE cars they’re allowed to sell in 2030 to 2035 will be cars with a base sticker price of at least £70.000 for a base model, because that’s where they make most of their money.

I explained that in another thread: any ICE car sold over the allowance costs a manufacturer £15.000, as was mentioned here as well. Whereas a sold EV can result in a tradeable credit for the manufacturer.

Even IF they extend the deadline by another year/s, the required quotas year to year will still rise. There still will be less and less incentive for manufacturers to produce ICE cars.

And, btw, before Glos Guy comes in with “they vote with their wallet” and some other unsolicited political quips, no. They don’t. The way this will go (not might, will) is that they’ll offer cheaper base model EVs, basically Fiat 500 size. Small (or more accurately, cheap) ICE cars will simply seize to exist.

To further the point per example, VW delivered over 400.000 cars in 2022. That requires them to sell 88.000 EV, or pay £15.000 pound for every car out of those 88.000 that isn’t an EV. Paying £15.000 on a £22.000 car, do you genuinely think they’ll continue selling it? Once the ratio for the quota becomes so unfavourable that a noticeable percentage of cars basically are given away for free due to the fine, they’ll cease to exist. Likely replaced by something like an ID2 or even ID1 (Polo/Up), which will be “more affordable” (but still vastly more expensive than the ICE predecessor).

In regards to your “political analysis”, i haven’t forgotten who introduced this measure. You can rail at Labour as much as you want, in the end they just need to point out that the ZEV Mandate is the brain child of the Tory party, introduced/announced by one of the many PMs of the last few years. In fact, so much so that after Windbag Johnson announced his “Ten Point plan for a green industrial revolution” in 2020, the Tory party doubled down on it in 2023 after reviewing the policies.

All Labour needs to do is “ignore it”, and if they’re, contrary to any political reality, pushed by Tories on this, they just need to point out that it was their idea in the first place.

Prior: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
              Current: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

moggy
              Participant

Rene you are absolutely correct. I don’t understand how people can’t see this.

V8bart
                Participant

Why are people talking in absolutes? 80 percent of people HAVE? to be driving electric? They don’t, we can chose to drive whatever we like/need.

This is a target set out for manufacturers to meet, not a legal requirement for owners!

If the market demands ICE, they will have to provide it.

Rural owners with no driveways and no charging points available for many miles can’t and wont switch to electric.

Demand dictates supply, not the other way round. It’s even more relevant for disabled drivers.

it’s a fact  that “affordable” ICE vehicles on motabiliy is at an all time low, and this is a problem.

wildgoose2
                  Participant

Oh my gosh!

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Glos Guy
                    Participant

It could be that I made a mistake, but I’m pretty sure that the BMW iX1 on my short list had gone up by £250 yesterday. This morning the price is actually £250 lower ? It will be good when the official manufacturer April price lists appear, as past experience leads me to always a tad wary of the Motability website!

MB5
                      Participant

The IX1 prices certainly look £250 cheaper than last quarter (you can still see Q1 prices on BMW’s site). Every reduction is welcome, but would have hoped for a little more than that if it was going to persuade me to go for an xDrive at £6249!

kezo
                        Participant

It could be that I made a mistake, but I’m pretty sure that the BMW iX1 on my short list had gone up by £250 yesterday. This morning the price is actually £250 lower ? It will be good when the official manufacturer April price lists appear, as past experience leads me to always a tad wary of the Motability website!

Was it £5499 last quater for base M Sport?

MB5
                          Participant

Yep. Not going to post the Q1 link here to avoid confusion, but M Sport started at £5499 last quarter.

MickC
                            Participant

Oh my gosh! Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Glos Guy
                              Participant

The IX1 prices certainly look £250 cheaper than last quarter (you can still see Q1 prices on BMW’s site). Every reduction is welcome, but would have hoped for a little more than that if it was going to persuade me to go for an xDrive at £6249!

Yes, the prices on the Motability website are now £250 less than last quarter, but I’m sure that yesterday they had gone up by £250. The price that I amended my notes to yesterday is now £500 lower today as a result. As I said, I might have made a mistake, but it wouldn’t be the first time that the Motability website has given duff info on day 1 of a quarter change, only to correct within 24 hours. Could be a simple case of someone adding a +£250 to the database when it should have been -£250. Or it could be me having a slightly premature senior moment ?  Either way, it’s good news, even though I’m still frustrated that the petrol or PHEV X1 didn’t join the scheme.

Glos Guy
                                Participant

Was it £5499 last quater for base M Sport?

Yes, although I’d pay £1k extra to get the Technology Plus Pack (worth £2,890) that adds folding door mirrors (can’t believe they are no longer standard), Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Access inc hands-free tailgate, High Beam Assist, Head-up Display, Live Cockpit Professional, Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror, Wireless Charging and Parking Plus (which adds 360 degree camera and live recorder to the standard front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera and automated parking).

JMC
                                  Participant

BMW really are taking liberties with their added ‘extras’  Thats nearly 3k for those items which most are standard on lots of other ‘cheaper’ cars!! I noticed skoda are the same.

Rich44
                                    Participant

Yeah the previous Enyaq trims were pretty bad. The current ones are a lot better. It’s private because both BMW and Skoda are going to allow people to buy extras later I see the software is already there in the Skodas

MM5
                                      Participant

The 7 seater options again are not great for me. Either too expensive ap or terrible “range”. I don’t know if I’m being picky but I think I will leave the scheme in October.

capturetheloss
                                        Participant

I am new to motability and this forum.

So we have been searching for months for the perfect car and wanted the Yaris cross but then we seen the byd dolphin. We ordered that byd car and started the process of getting ev points fitting. However on discovery that out home is on a looped system we had then discovered that we would need to contact our local dno. The dno said that we would have to pay for the unlooping of the electric system so that we can get a charge point fitted. This means digging up our garden, the front street and also next doors garden. Also they didn’t not indicate how much this would be and when this would be. We looked at the charging infrastructure in our area and it is pitiful. The rapid chargers would be in the next city centre a place we don’t often take out car. The charging points in our town are not great and they on 7wh so woul take hours to charge up. Also alot of these car parks have a time limit to when they close and they are also a distance away from our home.

There is the option of the big shipping center but even on the rapid charging points it is going to be costly to charge up. Currently we have a hybrid and pay £40 a month to fuel up. The charging points are going to cost more especially if we do long journeys to top it up to get home.

We have been on a few long days trips recently and we noticed the lack of charging points in the locations we have been. The infrastructure isn’t there and also what about people getting theirs unlooped. If there’s a backlog for doing so from the dno and then come 2030 or leading up to it everyone wants it done it will be even more of a backlog. Also they didn’t say how much it would be to do.

When we visited dealerships they just said oh you need a driveway and a charging point and your good to go but they didn’t advise us of these issues or they were not aware.

We canceled the byd dolphin and began our search again starting afresh. Alot of the cars were uncomfortable to sit in due to the seats being moulded too much or they had very old looking displays.

So it was betweej a juke and captur. We had test drove the juke and I felt like I was in a rally car. The next week we we rnt to a dealership to try the captur and we loved it. We rest drove a model that’s a spec down to the one we were looking at but we lived it the comfort and the dash was great and my husband felt he was commanding when driving haha. Also we liked how you can move the back seats forward to give more space when you have the seats folded down in case we have large items..

So we places an order for the capture engineered a couple weeks ago I’m black. We got a phone call to say that the black option would take months to come and if we wanted the car we could get it in the grey with the black roof. I actually like the grey as it shows off all the curves and the different parts of the car.

So looking at the prices of the new quatre we were glad to have ordered it before the price changes as it is 300 quid more now. We will get 55 quid back thanks to the 750 down payment. Also noticed that the juke has gone off the scheme and also the byd has a higher price band now.

So that’s our story so far.

kezo
                                          Participant

@capturetheloss

You should not have to pay to have your supply de-looped, when having a charger fitted or should you be the one contacting the DNO to arrange this!

ScotT
                                            Spectator
                                              JMC
                                              Participant

Yeah the previous Enyaq trims were pretty bad. The current ones are a lot better. It’s private because both BMW and Skoda are going to allow people to buy extras later I see the software is already there in the Skodas

exactly why we went with the ZR-V advance instead of any skoda SUV. Everything is standard on the ZR-V. Nothing else needed except maybe a 360° camera instead of the reversing one we get.

KamKam
                                                Participant

@capturetheloss You should not have to pay to have your supply de-looped, when having a charger fitted or should you be the one contacting the DNO to arrange this!

Do you know if the same applies in Scotland, Kezo?

cantona7
                                                  Participant

I like the look of the Audi Q3 and even the Q2 but the lack of interior spec or tech pack is disappointing. Does anyone know what the AP price rises to when you add these extras? (air con, parking assist, leather seats etc)

Rich44
                                                    Participant

I had numerous DNO visits. Initially they upgraded me from 60A to 80A because we were looped.

Later they came and ran a new cable in and unlooped is and fitted a 100A fuse. We weren’t charged a penny by UK power networks

Rich44
                                                      Participant

Not really sure you can compare the ZR-V and the Enyaq, ones an EV the others a hybrid.

Also not really sure I agree. Looking at trim levels and price the Enyaq Sportline 85x is £900 cheaper now than the ZR-V advance and an almost identical spec to the advance except the Enyaq has AWD. All the safety gear is the same, power boot on the face they’re basically the same aside pan roof and the Skoda has 20/21″ wheels

The only difference is the Honda has a pan roof as standard. However the boot is nearly 50% smaller than the Skoda. I think other than fuel type and dimensions they’re incredibly similar cars. Probably comes down to do you need the extra boot space and do you want petrol or electric. I did consider it it’s a lovely car, but I wanted to stay 100% electric as I just hate ICE now.

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 440 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.