Quarter 2 1st April 2024 – News and updates

• This topic has 430 replies, 102 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by kezo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    monty
    Participant

What are people hoping for realistically to come on for the next quarter?

Viewing 25 replies - 376 through 400 (of 430 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

@capturetheloss You should not have to pay to have your supply de-looped, when having a charger fitted or should you be the one contacting the DNO to arrange this!

Do you know if the same applies in Scotland, Kezo?

homeowners wanting an EV charger or other renewables, installed “will no longer have to pay” towards the costs of any reinforcements to the network capacity, as the costs will be covered by the DNOs.

There is a “High-Cost Cap” threshold. If the capacity required exceeds £1,720 per kVA, the connecting customer may have to pay some costs but, it’s highly unlikely the capacity required would exceed this threshold when having the likes of an EV charger installed.

In other words, it applies to Scotland but, the correct form must be filled in and sent to your DNO. Ohme should arrange all works required and be the ones filling out any forms 🙂

Brydo
        Participant

@capturetheloss my sister had her supply de-looped and didn’t pay a penny.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
          Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Abercol
          Participant

We had a looped supply, I contacted SSEN, the DNO for North Scotland and it was unlooped and the incoming fuse upgraded to 100a free of charge.

They dug up the footpath outside the house, closed part of the road and had it all done in a couple of days. The actual electrics part was done in about an hour, different companies, one to dig the hole, one to do the electrical work and one to fill the hole back up and make it look the same as it was before they started.

If you request an upgraded incoming fuse you will need to ensure the tails to your consumer unit have been upgraded to 25mm first (they insisted on that). This can be done by your electricity provider (the one you pay your bill to) or you can get an electrician to do it as we did, think it cost us £50.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

KamKam
            Participant

Cheers folks – I’ll let Ohme know hopefully they can start things moving (maybe)

capturetheloss
              Participant

Unfortunately I did get an email from the dno saying we would have to pay for the supply to be unlooped . We were getting our driveway done soon too. It was causing both stress and arguments with my husband and I that it was going to break us. We decided for the best of our relationship and metail health not to go down the electric route.

Rich44
                Participant

Which DNO said that?

Ioniq
                  Participant

@capturetheloss

You should not pay for unlooping your supply UNLESS you asked your DNO to do this. When Ohme surveys and installs you charger, they will arrange the unlooping with your DNO.

@KamKam

My supply was unlooped by SP Energy Networks, my DNO, they also installed polyphase, or Three phase into the house. It did not cost me anything.

But, unlooping is done by Ohme, you should not get involved. Your only input is to inform Ohme when your DNO  has completed the job.

Rich44
                    Participant

How on Earth did you get 3 phase free? Thatust be so galactic level jam there lol

Ioniq
                      Participant

How on Earth did you get 3 phase free? Thatust be so galactic level jam there lol

Yup Rich, the DNO  are future proofing.

Unfortunately,  no current energy companies have a 3 phase domestic meter for installation. Apparently Ovo are trialling one soon. I,ve contacted a few energy companies, about a 3-phase meter and they dont have one yet. Maybe the next year or so. Av got 3-phase but cannot use it…that should change in 6 months or so.

KamKam
                        Participant

When Ohme surveys and installs you charger, they will arrange the unlooping with your DNO. @KamKam My supply was unlooped by SP Energy Networks, my DNO, they also installed polyphase, or Three phase into the house. It did not cost me anything. But, unlooping is done by Ohme, you should not get involved. Your only input is to inform Ohme when your DNO has completed the job.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, I’ll hold off contact Ohme. I’m sure I’ve got the installer coming out May 15th, so hopefully clearer by then!

Ioniq
                          Participant

When Ohme surveys and installs you charger, they will arrange the unlooping with your DNO. @KamKam My supply was unlooped by SP Energy Networks, my DNO, they also installed polyphase, or Three phase into the house. It did not cost me anything. But, unlooping is done by Ohme, you should not get involved. Your only input is to inform Ohme when your DNO has completed the job.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll hold off contact Ohme. I’m sure I’ve got the installer coming out May 15th, so hopefully clearer by then![/quote]

@kamkam

Just to let you know, from completing Ohme Home survey to fitting the charger took 7 Months.

Hopefully your install goes quicker.

KamKam
                            Participant

Currently on month 4 💀

capturetheloss
                              Participant

It doesn’t matter now as we are going the hybrid route.

Also we just had our driveway done so wouldn’t want it be dug up again..

capturetheloss
                                Participant

The thing is noone was telling us this. No information given about all of this.

Also the car was going to be ready within weeks so can’t wait months for it to be done .

Ioniq
                                  Participant

It doesn’t matter now as we are going the hybrid route. Also we just had our driveway done so wouldn’t want it be dug up again..

Dude, they dont dig up your drive to install the cable. They dig up the pavement and dig a 1m square  next to the house wall. They then send a “mole” which burrows a hole from the pavement to the outside wall of your house. A red sleeve is fed through the tunnel and the electrical cable runs through that.

Quite handy to know in case others are thinking the same thing.

Also, I had my EV for 3 months before the charger was fitted. Its not ideal, but at least you learn about external charging. Its better now I have a home charger for sure, but you do adjust to the new regime, and procedures.

KamKam
                                    Participant

Also, I had my EV for 3 months before the charger was fitted. Its not ideal, but at least you learn about external charging. Its better now I have a home charger for sure, but you do adjust to the new regime, and procedures.

So I’m most likely going to be in that position for a bit. How often were you charging, how long typically and if you don’t mind the average cost?

Participant

Motability have agreed to end my lease and due to it being a “Mechanical Termination” i get my AP back from the Vauxhall Astra (£1400 at the time). Can now put an order in for a new car.

Busy week ahead looking at cars on my shortlist.

Car History:
                                        Ford Fiesta
                                        Vauxhall Astra Mk6
                                        Mazda 3
                                        BMW 2 Series Coupe
                                        Mercedes A Class
                                        Vauxhall Astra Mk8 (Lease ended early)
                                        Renault Austral (On order)

Ioniq
                                        Participant

So I’m most likely going to be in that position for a bit. How often were you charging, how long typically and if you don’t mind the average cost?

Kam. I used the granny charger to keep the var topped up British Gas EV rate at night.

I used fast chargers a couple of times a month an that cost about £30/ Visit. It seems a lot but half of what i was spending on my ICE. Car.

Go find your local chargers and install the Apps on your phone. Not all work contactless only. The App is a must.

Its a learning curve you have to go through. You will find a solution that works for you. It is very frustrating at the beginning though…lol

Brydo
                                          Participant

@Capturetheloss your situation is a great example of why everyone should come to the Forum and ask the question, no matter how trivial or in-depth it may be. There are loads of very knowledgeable people on here and the replies can save a lot of searching for information and a lot of time saved.

Ioniq
                                            Participant

@Capturetheloss

If you have the Hybrid it still needs charged.

Because you changed car, you should be on Ohme,s system to install a charger. As you are Hybrid there is no rush to install the charger, its free and just let them do it.

They should not have to touch your new drive and you can tell them so when they visit.

Its up to you…but free is a good thing, why not??

kezo
                                              Participant

@Capturetheloss If you have the Hybrid it still needs charged. Because you changed car, you should be on Ohme,s system to install a charger. As you are Hybrid there is no rush to install the charger, its free and just let them do it. They should not have to touch your new drive and you can tell them so when they visit. Its up to you…but free is a good thing, why not??

I believe the op is looking at a FHEV (sef charging)

It depends on hoe the op’s electric supply is looped, to whether holes need to be dug in their drive, next doors drive or the drives either side of them.

kezo
                                                Participant
                                                  Brydo
                                                  Participant

@capturetheloss are you going for a plug in hybrid? Or a mild hybrid? I certainly wouldn’t get a plug in hybrid without a home charger as you would be charging most days and a lot of hybrid chargers only charge at around 3kwh so you would be charging away from home for hours.

kezo
                                                    Participant

@capturetheloss are you going for a plug in hybrid? Or a mild hybrid? I certainly wouldn’t get a plug in hybrid without a home charger as you would be charging most days and a lot of hybrid chargers only charge at around 3kwh so you would be charging away from home for hours.

As you know I’m loking at a PHEV (electric local/Hybrid long journeys), so wouldn’t charge when I’m out. Even with 7kw onboard charger which most have it wouldn’t be worth the hastle anway. At home I’d probably charge off 3 ping plug (2.3kW) about 5 – 6hrs overnight. Why, I only think I have 22kW chargers in garage and I’m too tight to buy a 7kW 😂

MickC
                                                      Participant

Motability have agreed to end my lease and due to it being a “Mechanical Termination” i get my AP back from the Vauxhall Astra (£1400 at the time). Can now put an order in for a new car. Busy week ahead looking at cars on my shortlist.

Did you have to pester Motability how long did you have to wait for the mech termination to be agreed.Did you have to be without the Astra for a long time,did they supply a hire car.

What are you fancying as your next car ? all you need is £200 you could get an Enyak Sportline if EV gives you a buzz.

Viewing 25 replies - 376 through 400 (of 430 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.