Electricity tariffs and setting up of EV home charging procedures

• This topic has 125 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

I’ve noticed we have more posts relating to electricity tariffs and setting up of EV home charging procedures and was wondering if there was enough interest to set up a permanent sticky.

There is a fair amount of money to be saved charging from home and getting the correct tariff could save more.

I don’t really have much expertise in the topic but I’ve noticed there are those who’ve been using a number of tariffs and actually change tarrif between summer and winter so there must be money to be saved for members to go to the bother.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Brydo.
      • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by wmcforum. Reason: Too niche

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Hi My charger is now offline and I’ve rebooted it but to no avail. I’m not having much luck unfortunately with the EV set up yet I’ve applied all the relevant settings on the Ohme app but one thing is when it has charged that the Cupra app is also charging but is it possible to stop that and rely on the Ohme app only?

E-sim connectivity issue

API change by Cupra / VW as a whole

Software glitch

Turn power of to the charging by turning the MCB off in the conumer unit for a couple of minutes and turn back on

Plug your car in for a minute, see if it wakes up!

Footloose
        Participant

Hi Kezo

thanks for that however forgive my ignorance as I’m not familiar with APO or MCB but I followed the reboot instruction again by powering off for 15 minutes then back on and green light back on in the app so my off peak schedule starts at 1am-5am so hopefully it’ll go okay but will the Cupra app stop charging when Ohme gets to the 30% requested from my schedule?

Footloose
          Participant

So this morning I charged my car(1-6am)as my Ohme app along with my tarrif stated it would be 9p per me therefore i only charged 20% as I’ve not been getting the off peak rates from EDF even though my account states Go electric (june25)and the customer service from EDF has been awful as no one seems to be available that has knowledge of their own EV tarrif or issues so can anyone recommend a better energy supplier that also works well with Ohme chargers and as I am going to change to dual to include gas I believe to do that I sign up for variable first and then select an EV tarrif?

kezo
            Participant

So this morning I charged my car(1-6am)as my Ohme app along with my tarrif stated it would be 9p per me therefore i only charged 20% as I’ve not been getting the off peak rates from EDF even though my account states Go electric (june25)and the customer service from EDF has been awful as no one seems to be available that has knowledge of their own EV tarrif or issues so can anyone recommend a better energy supplier that also works well with Ohme chargers and as I am going to change to dual to include gas I believe to do that I sign up for variable first and then select an EV tarrif?

Octopus/Ovo are the better one’s however, if you currently have a smets 1 smart meter, you will have to go onto their standard tarrif untill they can install a smets 2 smart meter, unless they are able to read your current meter, which will then take 14-21 days after switching before you can join their intelligent tariffs.

Footloose
              Participant

Hi Kezo
                thsnks for the advice and I was looking at octopus and Ovo tonight and either looks good especially Ovo so maybe change to them and I’m sorry I’m persistent it as mentioned in a previous post i have a few health concerns currently a double transplant being one of them and whilst I’m still working.I’m trying to make things easier but this has tested me no thanks to EDF but it’s maybe just me being stressed but thanks so much for your replies and guidance 👍

kezo
                Participant

Hi Kezo <p style=”text-align: left;”>thsnks for the advice and I was looking at octopus and Ovo tonight and either looks good especially Ovo so maybe change to them and I’m sorry I’m persistent it as mentioned in a previous post i have a few health concerns currently a double transplant being one of them and whilst I’m still working.I’m trying to make things easier but this has tested me no thanks to EDF but it’s maybe just me being stressed but thanks so much for your replies and guidance 👍</p>

I quote @Phaedra ‘s reply to you on your previous June thread when you were about to have your charger fitted.

“If you’re reading you electricity costs from an In Home Display they don’t read both peak and off peak tariffs.  I’m on Octopus Intelligent Go so 7.5p/kWh from 23:30 – 05:30 and about 28p during the rest of the time.  (actualy my tariffs changed today so 7p off peak and 22.41p peak)

My IHD was reading £7 or more after a charge but it was basing it on the wrong price per kW, about 28p instead of 7.5p

It then started reading it the other way round! so while it now reads £2 – £3 for an overnight charge it still reads the peak use during the day at the same rate!.  I asked Octopus about resetting or hitting it with a hammer but they said IHD’s are basically useless and not to bother with it!!!”

Ele
                  Participant

Seems Ive already been on this months lower BG Standard rate all through June lol

Thought so at the time

Strange but welcome

Rico
                    Participant

I am with ovo as it suits me better, I get 6.8p a kw just for the car (they control the ohme charger) when ever grid is low to medium (you get slots) but they will still charge you in the last hour even if grid goes high as they have commited to that time slot.

it is also a addon and not a tarrif so you can go on any of their tarrifs you want.

works out fine for me, I also get £10 credit every month for powermove and keeping use low during peak times.

Footloose
                      Participant

Hi

As mentioned previously the IHD is useless as when I’ve checked my electricity usage on my account (HUB) it stated the correct amount so I’ll check the hub from now on but not sure the point of a IHD as the readings/amounts are way off?

kezo
                        Participant

Hi As mentioned previously the IHD is useless as when I’ve checked my electricity usage on my account (HUB) it stated the correct amount so I’ll check the hub from now on but not sure the point of a IHD as the readings/amounts are way off?

My IHD lives in a drawer unused!

Brydo
                          Participant

If you have an air source heat pump Octopus Energy have improved their Octopus Cosy tariff. This youtube video outlines the changes.

DisabledPaul
                            Spectator

Cosy is NOT a good tariff if you want to run you ASHP efficiently..

Basic principles of ASHP/GSHP are to run them “low and slow” basically at the lowest flow (water) temperature that is enough to heat your house.

Cosy works on the principle of ramping up your heat pump for a few allocated time slots that are slightly cheaper than SVT. it does not take into account that there will much higher peak rate paid by the customer for  the time slots when cooker dinner etc.

Really not a good tariff, anyone who runs their ASHP using the most efficient settings will agree

kezo
                              Participant
                                kezo
                                Participant

Interesting discussion Paul on octopus heatpump & tariff, in particular their heatpump.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6533864/octopus-cosy-6-actually-ready-for-market

BillyDavey
                                  Participant

Just ordered our XC40 Recharge so this topic will interest me.

At the minute we are with Eon who have a 6.2kwh nightly charge between 12midnight and 7am on their EV Tariff.

We haven’t had any contact from anyone regarding a charger as of yet. How long does it usually take?

Brydo
                                    Participant

Paul this is where a home battery makes a difference as the battery can see you through the expensive period.

I would say to anyone who can afford it to get a home battery. It can be used as i noted above and in the warmer months you can charge it up on a cheap rate and then sell iit back to the grid for a profit.

Brydo
                                      Participant

@kezo yes its not getting good reviews but they supply Dialken ASHP just now and hopefully will give a choice in the future.

Just to remind everyone that they don’t supply to Scotland only England and Wales.

Brydo
                                        Participant

Anyone who takes energy storage, production and use to the next level should have a look at “speak to the geek” on youtube.

kezo
                                          Participant

Anyone who takes energy storage, production and use to the next level should have a look at “speak to the geek” on youtube.

Wre you refering to me then 🤣

From what I got from MSE, is the Cosy tariff was ok for the Octopus h/pump, as its capable upto 65c, which requires a different mindset than running one at minimum temp’s.

Brydo
                                            Participant

@kezo you could be one and the same person lol.

Octopus Energy Go For Electric Cars Just Got More HOURS

DisabledPaul
                                              Spectator

Interesting discussion Paul on octopus heatpump & tariff, in particular their heatpump. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6533864/octopus-cosy-6-actually-ready-for-market

I’m not sure why anyone would consider the Cosy 6 ASHP its one one the worst performing units, stats on MCS website.

DisabledPaul
                                                Spectator

Paul this is where a home battery makes a difference as the battery can see you through the expensive period. I would say to anyone who can afford it to get a home battery. It can be used as i noted above and in the warmer months you can charge it up on a cheap rate and then sell iit back to the grid for a profit.

Clearly you don’t have a ASHP or home battery storage, I have 27Kwh and ASHP energy rated A house and I can assure you battery don’t see you through the peak periods

People can regularly report daily usage of upto 100kWh just because of ASHP usage in winter time

I suggest you join this group https://www.facebook.com/share/NSQwksBaGSL3QU73/

DisabledPaul
                                                  Spectator

FYI Cosy 6 MCS

Brydo
                                                    Participant

Paul, you are correct i have neither battery storage nor an air source heat pump. So i will gladly accept your first-hand knowledge in this instance.

Your numbers however are frightening and giving me pause for thought as I am in the process of installing a 9kw air source heat pump, 45kwh battery storage and another 5/6 kwh solar array together with my existing 3.6kwh solar array.

DisabledPaul
                                                      Spectator

Paul, you are correct i have neither battery storage nor an air source heat pump. So i will gladly accept your first-hand knowledge in this instance. Your numbers however are frightening and giving me pause for thought as I am in the process of installing a 9kw air source heat pump, 45kwh battery storage and another 5/6 kwh solar array together with my existing 3.6kwh solar array.

9kw Heat pump? thats a large heat loss, is there no way you are able to reduce the heat loss of the property, its always the best route to go regardless of how you heat the home?

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.