Electricity tariffs and setting up of EV home charging procedures

• This topic has 125 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

I’ve noticed we have more posts relating to electricity tariffs and setting up of EV home charging procedures and was wondering if there was enough interest to set up a permanent sticky.

There is a fair amount of money to be saved charging from home and getting the correct tariff could save more.

I don’t really have much expertise in the topic but I’ve noticed there are those who’ve been using a number of tariffs and actually change tarrif between summer and winter so there must be money to be saved for members to go to the bother.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Brydo.
      • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by wmcforum. Reason: Too niche

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 125 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brydo
      Participant

Kezo i tried to get on an EV tariff with Octopus with my Volvo xc40 plug in hybrid and my granny charger and was told it wasn’t possible without a proper EV charger.

kezo
        Participant

Kezo i tried to get on an EV tariff with Octopus with my Volvo xc40 plug in hybrid and my granny charger and was told it wasn’t possible without a proper EV charger.

Your car or charger needs to be compatible. If you car isn’t and you use a granny charger, the tariff is not suitable, which is the same problem I’m having with Octopus with the Tucson Phev.

Have you tried Ovo, as the xc40 is compatible?

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Other than that ou are looking at the likes of Octopus Go, BG, EDF etc, with a 4-5hr cheaper rate overnight tariff.

Phaedra
          Participant

I was looking at fixed tariffs but gave up, it’s the cheap car rate on Intelligent Go that’s messing me up.

I’d really like to keep this as I’m using an extra 200kWh a month charging the car, that’s not far off my usual domestic use so adding it up it doubles my figure when looking at the various offers ask me to put my actual usage figures in.

I may be able to move just the gas but again I don’t know, Octopus only gives me Electricity or Gas & Electricity when I try to get a tariff price for.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Brydo
            Participant

@kezo i will speak to them again.

Ele
              Participant

As a family of 4 high peak low mile user I’m sticking with my BG PAYG 21.7p 24/7 standard tariff for now although been trying to get a BG smart meter install but it is proving to be a long drawn out affair.

As its invite only once your name is down

BG have 5hr half price electric on Sundays via smart which is all I would need.

kezo
                Participant

BG have 5hr half price electric on Sundays via smart which is all I would need.

Doesn’t that end in Septemer?

Participant

….I tried to get on an EV tariff with Octopus with my Volvo xc40 plug in hybrid and my granny charger and was told it wasn’t possible without a proper EV charger.

We contacted SSE (our then current supplier) to fit a Smets2 smart meter in August 2022, they did so in 3 weeks, we then left them and joined Octopus on their standard tariff, we then tried to join Octopus Intelligent Go (the app said the Kia was compatible) and it just wouldn’t work, so we joined Octopus Go the next day – all done online using their app, never spoke to them.

Currently 27.284p standard rate and 9p off peak. Only 4 hours, but no one asked us about chargers, just asked if we had an EV, in the app.

Our overall combined cost over the past 12 months has been around 17p/kw, so its lower than we were paying prior to the sky high pricing. We time shift the washing machine and dishwasher – but not exclusively as we do a lot of washing on Saturdays. Hardly use the tumble drier, so it’s done as needed, which is about 5 times a year.

We are awaiting an Ohme survey (booked in for 2nd July) and, if successful, will then switch to Octopus Intelligent once its fitted & benefit from the extra time and lower rate.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

kezo
                    Participant

….I tried to get on an EV tariff with Octopus with my Volvo xc40 plug in hybrid and my granny charger and was told it wasn’t possible without a proper EV charger.

We contacted SSE (our then current supplier) to fit a Smets2 smart meter in August 2022, they did so in 3 weeks, we then left them and joined Octopus on their standard tariff, we then tried to join Octopus Intelligent Go (the app said the Kia was compatible) and it just wouldn’t work, so we joined Octopus Go the next day – all done online using their app, never spoke to them. Currently 27.284p standard rate and 9p off peak. Only 4 hours, but no one asked us about chargers, just asked if we had an EV, in the app. Our overall combined cost over the past 12 months has been around 17p/kw, so its lower than we were paying prior to the sky high pricing. We time shift the washing machine and dishwasher – but not exclusively as we do a lot of washing on Saturdays. Hardly use the tumble drier, so it’s done as needed, which is about 5 times a year. We are awaiting an Ohme survey (booked in for 2nd July) and, if successful, will then switch to Octopus Intelligent once its fitted & benefit from the extra time and lower rate.

Phoned EDF saying my IHD is working (which it isn’t), can you upgrade it to a Smet 2. The answer no, if you want to view your usage daily, log ino your account!

So that that!

shawry
                      Participant

So when my EDF tariff ran out (4.5p/kWh) I moved to Octopus.

i had, solar, battery and the XC40

initially went onto Octopus Go (9p for 4 hours) and the smart lite export (8p)

This worked well enough, but misses a trick in that export isn’t what it could be so I’ve now moved to Agile to take advantage of the 15p export rate.

my last 6 full days charges (including SC) are: -45.2, 86.6, 53.7, -20.8, -89.0, -22.2 (so I’ve been paid 36.6p)

and today I’m currently sat at 6p cost (inc SC) a full battery with an expectation to end the day on approx -73p

I have recently got a Zappi installed, so I could move to Intelligent Octopus Go to make use of the steady 7.5p cheap rate, it could potentially work better for me as I’d still be eligible for the 15p export rate, but every time I think about switching I get a day or 3 where the rate is considerably less than the 7.5p

if you use Home Automation you can get that to maximise you import / export too.

While slightly off topic, I’ve also switched to the Gas tracker tariff as it is consistently about 1.5p cheaper than the 6.03p I was paying.

Brydo
                        Participant

@shawry what is your solar and battery sizes?

shawry
                          Participant

@shawry what is your solar and battery sizes?

3.9 Solar and approx 14.5 kWh battery (a 5.2 and a 9.5)

Brydo
                            Participant

@shawry how are you finding your battery storage, is it covering all your daily electricity demands? I take it you have two Givenergy batteries.

shawry
                              Participant

@Brydo yeah both GE, my issue really is only when we use the shower as the inverter is only a 3.6 hybrid so we have a draw from the grid then.

outside of that it’s just the odd spot where the batteries don’t kick in in time

Son works weird shifts so showers in the afternoon often but as long as it’s before 4 it’s usually less than 15p/kWh and the grid just tops off what the inverter clips at.

best thing we did getting solar and batteries

shawry
                                Participant

Junes usage to date (upto 22nd) is £4.13 including SC which is unreal.

Brydo
                                  Participant

Not everyone can afford solar and batteries but if you can afford one of the two I would go for battery storage. In the case of having an EV charger with cheap overnight electricity and being able to run your house for 7.5/9 p per kWh virtually all the time, it’s a huge saving and a bit if a no-brainer if you can afford it.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about it to get as big a battery as you can afford as unused electricity can be sold back to the grid for a 7.5p per kwh profit.

wmcforum
                                    Which Mobility Car

@brydo

What is the simple math behind a solar setup?

From your previous posts, £20k seemed to be the cost of panels and battery.

If someone pays £150 per month for their Electricity, £1800 for the year. What percentage of that can be free solar? 50%? 80%?

Assuming 50%, that’s £900 per year saving, meaning in year 23 you will be in profit

Assuming 80% that’s £1440 meaning the latter part of year 13 you will be in profit.

Are these the kind of figures you are looking at? I would love to go down the solar route but would also like the freedom to look at moving.

kezo
                                      Participant

@brydo What is the simple math behind a solar setup? From your previous posts, £20k seemed to be the cost of panels and battery. If someone pays £150 per month for their Electricity, £1800 for the year. What percentage of that can be free solar? 50%? 80%? Assuming 50%, that’s £900 per year saving, meaning in year 23 you will be in profit Assuming 80% that’s £1440 meaning the latter part of year 13 you will be in profit. Are these the kind of figures you are looking at? I would love to go down the solar route but would also like the freedom to look at moving.

From my perspective, your age at the time of installing is a deciding factor.

Brydo
                                        Participant

Wmc the £20,000 i quoted on the “off topic” section was relating to air source heat pump, solar and battery storage. For solar and battery storage, in my situation,  i was looking at £10,000ish for battery and solar. I have changed my thinking slightly in that i am going for more battery storage than i had previously with a Fogstar 45kwh system together with a 4kwh solar array.

(The process I’m going through has been a nightmare but i will detail that on the off-topic section)

So as it stands just now for solar you can get 15p per kwh for solar generation. I intend to send all of my solar to the grid so lets say my 4kwh system generates 3.5kwh that’s 3500x15p=£525 per year. To decide if this is worth your while you would need to get quotes on your specific install cost to see if the numbers make sense.

The Fogstar battery i am using, or intend to use, is 45kwh in total, 3 x 15kwh and these come in at £2,500 each so £2,000 without VAT. So £6,000 plus install, lets say £1,000.

Fill up battery @ 7.5p per kwh on overnight cheap rate .075x45x365=£1,235 for the year. Sell back to the grid what you don’t use @15p per kwh for a profit of 7.5p per kwh. Most UK houses run on about 10kwh per day so .075px10x365=£273, so a profit of 0.075x35x365=£958 per year.

I am lying in bed with a virus so my heads not 100% so please check the math to see if I’m wrong.

Every house is slightly different so you need to do your own math and if course things can change at any time so nothing is guaranteed.

shawry
                                          Participant

Not everyone can afford solar and batteries but if you can afford one of the two I would go for battery storage. In the case of having an EV charger with cheap overnight electricity and being able to run your house for 7.5/9 p per kWh virtually all the time, it’s a huge saving and a bit if a no-brainer if you can afford it. I would suggest to anyone thinking about it to get as big a battery as you can afford as unused electricity can be sold back to the grid for a 7.5p per kwh profit.

we splurged our extension savings on the solar and 5.2 battery, later added the 9.5 when our elec costs were going from 120 a month to 410.  Battery would def be first port of call for me if it was one or the other though.

Brydo
                                            Participant

Battery storage is the best option if its one or the other but solar is still a pretty decent option. Solar is cheaper now than it has ever been with decent solar panels costing less than £100. If you can get a cheap enough price from an installer its certainly worth doing as the panels will give you power for 20/25 years so a very decent long term return.

If money is not a concern i would get as many panels put on my roof/roofs as possible. I have 8 fitted on an east facing roof and 8 on a south-facing roof. I’ve had them for 14 years and they have been fantastic generating over 3,000 kwh a year.

I’m looking to fit more panels onto my south-facing garage roof and possibly even more onto my northwest-facing house roof. This will give me about 7 kWh of solar generation even with the lower output of the northwest-facing panels.

My original panels were rated at 250 watts but now 450-watt panels are available, with some even bigger. This means a standard roof will house a 3.6kwh system quite easily. If you can get one installed cheap enough it’s a great investment.

Participant

I think I’ve asked this question before but I’m still a little unsure of the answer!

If you have TWO home properties and want a home charger at each one, what’s the best solution?

I’ve already got a OHME Home Pro at one address on Octopus and considering a Zappi on Octopus at the second address. Will the TWO Apps run without conflict on the same phone? Will the car (Skoda Enyaq 85x) recognise TWO home locations for scheduled charging?

I think we’ve ruled out TWO OHME chargers on one phone App previously.

Any advice please?

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June) Build Week moved again to week 32 (W/C 5th August) Brought forward to week 27 (W/C 1st July 24)

kezo
                                                Participant

I think I’ve asked this question before but I’m still a little unsure of the answer! If you have TWO home properties and want a home charger at each one, what’s the best solution? I’ve already got a OHME Home Pro at one address on Octopus and considering a Zappi on Octopus at the second address. Will the TWO Apps run without conflict on the same phone? Will the car (Skoda Enyaq 85x) recognise TWO home locations for scheduled charging? I think we’ve ruled out TWO OHME chargers on one phone App previously. Any advice please?

It will be the same as the numerous apps already on your phone that don’t conflict with each other.

Zappi has the benifit of wifi capability, so at least after 3 yrs you won’t have to worry about paying a subscription to keep the e-sim working, as you do with Ohme chargers.

Footloose
                                                  Participant

Hi all

I am hoping someone can help please?

I’ve posted on another post mentioning I had my Ohme charger fitted yesterday (28/06)and I had put EDF go electric in as that’s my tarrif i then did an immediate charge which by the looks of things charged at peak rate 15.98 so only put in around 6kw to test and cost was correct at end of charge but last night i came home and plugged the car in around 8pm and noticed that my electricity meter showed from £3 to £6 in two days so i checked my charger and car and all seemed fine but today my electricity cost for yesterday is showing £7:76 but Thursday was £1:46?

It has led me to panic and Ohme states that EDF go electric is 15.98 peak and 8p off peak but my EDF account tarrif shows different and also less off peak to Ohme ?

im sorry if this is long winded but it doesn’t seem right in fact way off?

Any help or suggestions would be welcome and I have emailed EDF and Ohme but it seems everything is closed at the weekend?

Thank you

Footloose
                                                    Participant

Update:

I may have worked it out as Ohme has rates for go electric however I am go electric overnight so i decided to manually put my rates into the app that applies to my EDF Go overnight tarrif and enabled off peak at 8.99p(hoping it doesn’t think £8.99?).It has now recognised charging between 1-6am .

sorry I’m even doing my head in 😫

Footloose
                                                      Participant

Hi

My charger is now offline and I’ve rebooted it but to no avail.

I’m not having much luck unfortunately with the EV set up yet I’ve applied all the relevant settings on the Ohme app but one thing is when it has charged that the Cupra app is also charging but is it possible to stop that and rely on the Ohme app only?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 125 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.