Xc40 R Design Pro auto B4

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117741 Reply
    Macca

Ok so as this model has dropped in AP by £400 this quarter, and metallic is now included again, it’s got my attention enough to get back to the test drive that I had booked at the beginning of the year, but had to cancel when my wife was unexpectedly hospitalised.

The encouraging thing is that the motor group that supplied my wife’s current Hyundai, also has a Volvo dealership. On liaising with them we have agreed a discount in return for our loyalty to the group. It’s a family business and service with their Hyundai dealedship over almost 4 years has been spot on, and reviews of the Volvo dealership suggest they operate to the same standard.

They offer a days test drive but aren’t running them currently due to coronavirus precautions. So whenever that can be arranged we’ll have one out for the day and see what we make of it over that extended drive.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117743 Reply
    Brydo

Macca we are going for a meeting next week, this is what they do now to ensure the car fits your needs. Then, if it doeas, a test drive is organised, fifteen minutes on your own.

We are wanting the Inscription Pro Diesel, but unfortunately they only have a petrol.

Out of interest how much discount did you agree on and did you add any extras?

#117745 Reply
    Macca

The AP of £1999 will come down to £1625 Brydo.

I’m really interested in upgrading the nubuck interior to full leather but currently that comes at full list price. So we’ll make a decision on that later on.

Something tells me that if we do order one, but leave it with the nubuck interior, the moment I open the door on collection I would have big regrets.

#117747 Reply
    Macca

What I will say Brydo, is that when we test drove one at the beginning of the year for about 40 minutes, that had a D3 engine and I thought it was very refined.

#117749 Reply
    Macca

I did have an interest in checking out the Kuga ST Line X, but the AP shot up from £2795 to £3295, and lucid red paint would add a further £200 to that.

Three and a half grand for a kuga? ….. err no thanks.

#117752 Reply
    Brydo

Macca we have the xc60 diesel just now, it is coming up to five years soon but we don’t want to give it back. We are hoping the xc40 is equally good, I see no reason it won’t be, and look forward to keeping it five years also.

In five years time we will have many BEV SUV on the scheme and then I will have the car I’m after, assuming I’ve not snuffed it by then lol.

#117753 Reply
    JS

its good that the family run dealership has seen the benefit of retaining you as a customer Macca. im sure once you remind them that obviously they get under Motability rules the first dibs on the Buy Back Option on your Santa-fe which should bring them a tidy little profit that they would be willing to Do something on the Leather Wink Wink (sales staff love a Wink). good luck.

#117755 Reply
    Macca

Yeah, the Santa Fe has been a belter and has only got 17k on the clock, so it will be a great buy for sure

#117757 Reply
    Haley

I’ve been stalking the forum for a while as trying to make a decision on which car to choose. This will be our first Motability car and the XC40 is our top choice as it looks to fit our needs perfectly. We took the t4 auto out for a spin yesterday (closest they had to b4) loved the car but it’s the first time I’ve driven an automatic found it a bit strange not using a clutch and went to change gear a few times but sure I’d get used to it. The thing I did find though as it didn’t pull out of a junction as quickly as I’d like but this might be me not being used to autos and being a bit too gentle. Really not sure whether to try the t3 manual or just go for the b4. Has anyone tried the manual ?

#117762 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

This has dropped firmly into my top four now, but in Inscription Pro trim.

It ticks every single box and has a full column of green on my spreadsheet.

Elec leather seats, LED’s, cruise, etc. The only option I’ll want will be rear tints.

My only niggle is the B4P engine. I’m seeing reports of real world mpg of  ~27.

Calcs on fuel difference based on my mileage (~10k), between the BMW320i Sport will mean an additional £1,400 over 3 years. The difference almost cancels out the increased AP.

Shame the D3 is just shy of double the cost.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117764 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Welcome Haley, I changed to auto’s about 13 or so years ago.  I thought the same at first and even though I can’t really change now, it makes driving so much more easy and is preferable to me. I can just about still drive a manual with a light clutch but it’s not nice. I’d say keep at it. In a while you’ll wonder why you thought that.

That said some auto’s, especially with some CVT, gearboxes are poor to respond from standstill.

A solution might be to request an extended test for 24/48hrs. It may help to sway you either way.

A note on the B4 engine though, is that it will more than likely only return late 20’s to low 30’s in mpg.

Either way, good luck.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117770 Reply
    Haley

Thanks an extended test drive sounds like a good idea. I think most cars are going to be autos in the future so will be something I’ll need to get used to.

#117772 Reply
    Ade

Agreed, when you drive an auto – you realise how brilliant it really is…no more bouncing your left leg on the clutch pedal in stop/start traffic. I thought I would hate an auto until I bought one 30 years ago and just loved it.  I asked the salesperson to reset the MPG counter and took an XC40 on a short 40 minute test drive a couple of days ago. It is a well built, refined and quality car, unfortunately it was a diesel..

#117781 Reply
    Haley

Yep the real world mpg is definitely a concern. The t3 seems better in that aspect, shame the diesels have a crazy price tag. I really want the r design pro so it’s down to the t3 manual or b4. This is also the first suv type car I’ve driven so another reason it probably felt strange to drive.

#117796 Reply
    Macca

My wife is actually the motability customer but she doesn’t drive. These days I have the pleasure of osteoarthritis in both knees and both feet, with the left knee being the worst.

I can certainly relate to getting to the point where being stuck in slow moving stop start traffic was a painful nightmare.

I switched to an auto in 2016 and in no time at all wondered why the hell I’d ever driven a manual.

I’ll never go back to a manual now and I think no matter what car you drive, you learn about the car as you go and adopt your driving style to it.

I’m not expecting mpg to be fantastic but it will stay in eco mode, and I’m quite a casual driver. We only do 5000 miles a year, and realistically the mpg of the auto XC40 B4 will be similar to the big auto Santa Fe that we’re currently running.

#117798 Reply
    Macca

What’s your colour preference Haley?

For me the Fusion Red looks superb. I was never a fan of a black roof but it I actually like it with the red body.

I’ve not had a red car since I was in my 20’s. It was an Opel Manta GTE Coupe, and I loved it, …. until a taxi driver pulled out of a junction and kindly wrote it off for me.

Ironically it was that shunt that led to me having knee surgery which all these years later has been the catalyst for the current arthritis problems.

#117800 Reply
    Macca

and Bursting Blue comes in a close second, just a shame it comes at a £250 premium…

#117801 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

After the fiasco with the Tiguan and not being able to get the diesel Ateca I rang my local Volvo dealer,.  I explained I needed to order a car that day, the Motability chap was at the post office and I was promised he’d ring back in 10 mins.

Two hours later he rang, yes we can supply an R-Design Pro or Inscription Pro no problem 🙂  I asked how long it would take and he said “Pretty quickly”, I pushed for a more accurate timescale and got back a small laugh and “Hopefully October but could be November”.

I put the phone down and rang the Seat dealer, how soon can I get an Ateca Xcellence Lux?, “They’re at the docks so about 7-10 days from Motability giving us the OK”.  The 1.5 TSI petrol Ateca has better fuel consumption that the T3 and from what I’ve read the T4 isn’t any better.  The Volvo diesel versions are just too expensive.

But of course everyone’s taste in cars is different 🙂  For me I would have had the Tiguan (which has just arrived in the UK!) but not at the new stupid AP of £2,899, an absolutely ridiculous price increase of £1,150.  The Kuga is nice but to get heated seats and a couple of other bits it would have to be the ST-Line X which was already overpriced at £2095 and has now increased by a further £200.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#117802 Reply
    Matthew

Tough choice between the two both look so good …high on my list when it’s time to change

#117805 Reply
    Macca

We’ve checked out the Tiguan and Ateca, both decent packages, but my boss (wife) is a petite 4’10” and the seat squabs in both cars are too long so she ain’t comfortable.

We have found that the XC40 seat size and height are ideal for her, and because the R Design has seat extender cushions its good for my long ropey legs too.

#117806 Reply
    Haley

I love the black roofs and it looks brilliant in both of those colours. It was the bursting blue that we test drove yesterday which looked good but wouldn’t pay the extra over the red. It was the red that initially took my eye but I’m leaning towards the thunder grey. It’s nice that a car has so many great colour options. I looked at the Tiguan also which is a great car and I’m a big vw fan but my husband drives a transporter and they are just too similar inside so it’s nice to have a completely different type of car. Sorry to hear about your joints I work in orthopaedic theatres and know just how cruel arthritis can be, another plus for the Volvo is they have such a good track record for safety.

#117808 Reply
    Macca

Yeah, the safety angle is important as my wife had to be cut out of a bad traffic accident years ago and even now makes for a nervous passenger, hence my relaxed driving style.

#117809 Reply
    72 dudes

It feels as if I keep banging on about the XC40 T4’s fuel consumption and defending it.

Ours just went over 1000 miles yesterday when we did a round trip of 150 miles, mainly A14/A1. The Volvo app gives us a detailed breakdown of every trip, including fuel used and economy.

On the outward trip I drove, set the cruise at 76, (2000 RPM) with the occasional burst to get past  traffic. I drove in Comfort mode, that journey gave 39.6. I am an Advanced Driver

Mrs 72 dudes drove on the way home, she doesn’t use cruise control and varied her speed between 60 and 70 in Eco mode. She achieved 42.0. It was a blustery day but otherwise conditions were good.

While at our destination, there was several miles of stop start short journeys.

Overall, our average since new is now 32.9.

Our average in our previous Audi Q3 1.4 with cylinder deactivation was 36.1.

I guess what I am saying is don’t discount a car you like on a few reports of poor fuel consumption, as you’ll be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

In bionic Rusty’s case, the sums do sound too much, but try re-working the figures at 33 mpg.

#117811 Reply
    Macca

Well said 72 Dudes, there are so many variables in the mix here I simply would not make a decision based on a few journo reports

#117812 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Apart from the colour options, that are very different, these are the main differences between the Inscription Pro and R Design.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#117813 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I prefer the colour options on the R Design but the power passenger seat, for the wife, and the front and rear park assist and rear parking camera swing it to the Inscription Pro for me.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 136 total)
Reply To: Xc40 R Design Pro auto B4
Your information: