Xc40 R Design Pro auto B4

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117741 Reply
    Macca

Ok so as this model has dropped in AP by £400 this quarter, and metallic is now included again, it’s got my attention enough to get back to the test drive that I had booked at the beginning of the year, but had to cancel when my wife was unexpectedly hospitalised.

The encouraging thing is that the motor group that supplied my wife’s current Hyundai, also has a Volvo dealership. On liaising with them we have agreed a discount in return for our loyalty to the group. It’s a family business and service with their Hyundai dealedship over almost 4 years has been spot on, and reviews of the Volvo dealership suggest they operate to the same standard.

They offer a days test drive but aren’t running them currently due to coronavirus precautions. So whenever that can be arranged we’ll have one out for the day and see what we make of it over that extended drive.

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121800 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Deffo a case of don’t ask don’t get, well done sir 👍

#121803 Reply
    72 dudes

Yeah, I asked last year and didn’t get!

At the time Johnson’s of Solihull and Gloucester were doing £500 off the XC40.

I was told “No, we’re not doing that here”.

Normally I’m quite happy to negotiate, but it was quite clear they weren’t going to relent.

#121816 Reply
    Brydo

Great pillboy, it pays to ask, I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t do it.

#121817 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Especially at the minute where dealers are itching to get the business in

#121828 Reply
    Stephen roberts

@pillboy Please excuse my ignorance, but what offer did volvo swansea price match?

I ordered a R Design pro last week. I just phoned volvo to enquire about it and they didn’t know what I was talking about, and wouldn’t budge on my AP.

#121829 Reply
    PillBoy
    Participant

If you look in ‘Q3 Deals and Offers’  there are details of deals and discounts offered by individual dealers.

Johnson’s of Solihull and Gloucester were doing £250 off the XC40.  I then took this information and contacted dealers slightly closer to home and managed to get them to price match.  I then returned to my original dealership armed with the knowledge of a few other dealers offering a discount, and they agreed to match it.

It’s basically making them work for our business, rather than the other way around.  Obviously there are not always discounts available.

#121835 Reply
    Stephanie O’Donnell

I’ve tried 3 Volvo dealers so far this week in and around Edinburgh and non were willing to offer any discount of any description 🙁

#121850 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

I think the issue with Scotland is that most of the dealers are owned by massive parent companies who don’t need the volume trade of Motability and want to preserve the margin. Volvo Aberdeen and Inverness are both Arnold Clark, Volvo Dundee and Edinburgh are both John Clark. And that’s just Volvo! In Aberdeen Arnold Clark does Volvo, Nissan, Toyota, Kia, Ford, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, and Jeep (probably more too!). John Clark does BMW, Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda, and Mini. The independent dealers up here are few and far between and it feels like they may be the ones more inclined to offer an incentive. Of course, especially now with people more reluctant to travel, they know they have a captive audience up here. Even if I could find a deal elsewhere the cost and inconvenience of travelling to get it would be prohibitive. I held out for a few weeks before ordering my first motability car and it got me nowhere, there was literally no hint of any movement. In the end I had the benefit of having a privately owned car to use as a bargaining chip so I managed to gain a little more than they wanted to pay on trade in value. It’s a postcode lottery folks 😆

#121864 Reply
    Stephanie O’Donnell

@Bowly101

I think you’ve described the position perfectly.

Volvo Edinburgh have apparently been inundated with orders. On a positive note, they delivered the car to me in Fife, to test drive for the complete day and collected it at 5pm. The communication has been both friendly and professional. I’m happy to concede defeat re a discount on this occasion.

#121897 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

So did you decide to order Stephanie? If so what’s your combo?

#121911 Reply
    Stephanie O’Donnell

@Macca
    I have an appointment on Sunday to order. We’ve finally decided on the Inscription Pro in Onyx Black with Blonde interior.

The dealer has also agreed if the price drops next quarter we can cancel and reorder but he thinks the AP may go up rather than down 😔

#121927 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

That’s exactly the combo of the first one we ever looked at in Warrington Volvo. Not my choice but it did look superb in the showroom,

I’m sure you’ll be well happy with it.

#121930 Reply
    Stephanie O’Donnell

@Macca

Our other car is a CLK amg convertible (which my son can no longer get in and out of) and it’s metallic black with cream leather interior too lol!

In all honesty I would have been happy with any of the colour combinations but the two male family members insisted on black.

#121936 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Lovely choice Stephanie  👏👏

I ordered beginning of July and was given end of September for handover. I’d be interested to know what lead time you’re offered. 👍

And very nearly snap. I owned an E Class Coupe that I absolutely loved but had to sell it as I could no longer get out of it without a military operation. I’m much happier with my small SUV’s now.
    I’ll always remember it as my last hurrah now! 😂☹️

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#121939 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

There is nothing like getting the keys for your brand new shinny Motability car have fun.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#121956 Reply
    PillBoy
    Participant

I’ve been given the date of 30th October for delivery.

#121962 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

Hello new to forum/motabiliy, My Wife and I got an appointment next week at Volvo with an interest in a xc 40 auto, the r design.

For decades always had Volvo   s 40’s, until a neighbour smashed a merc sprinter high top into our owned over 10 years s40 getting off his drive.

#121972 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

So are you tempted by the Pro for just a few quid more? Which colour you drawn to?

#121973 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Hi ajn,

You’ve picked a good time to join if Volvo info is of interest! There’s a lot on here for you to work through to narrow your choices down. In fact I understand the wider community being a bit bored of XC40 conversation, but it’s definitely the car of the moment. Having had several Volvo models over the years I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of their ‘cheap’ model, it’s a really nice drive. It’s a shame that they’ve dumbed the spec down a bit with some of the nice cosmetic items disappearing, although it still remains the nicest looking motor available on Motability IMO. Anyway, good luck with your viewing, it’ll be interesting to hear your views. 👍

#121974 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

By the way Macca, I totally copied you in the end! My family banned me from red leather, so I reverted to my first choice and went with the R Design Pro, and without paying extra for the blue or white I felt that the red was the  best choice. As far as extras, I ended up ordering the versatility pack to have keyless entry, although I’ve noticed that they seem to have removed the under seat storage from the pack. Yet another small reduction in trim level. Ordered 13th August, estimated delivery mid October. 🤞

#121975 Reply
    ajn

Hello macca, tbh we’ve always had aged Volvo’s so this is going to be an eye opener..
    My Wife seems to have a dislike to chrome around windows, lol.

We like the r design but not with nubuck seats if possible.

Black will be the main colour through out maybe.

I do like the grey though, how much extra is a r design pro macca

#121976 Reply
    ajn

Thanks for any replies in advance

#121979 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

The Pro is just £200 more, but you get the 20″ wheels, heated windscreen, bendy headlights etc.

#121980 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Full charcoal leather will cost you an extra £900. I thought we would go for that but after a 2 hour test drive on a belting hot day, we decided the nubuck was fine.

#121981 Reply
    Macca
    Participant

Good choice Bowly101, don’t seem to see many about in Fusion Red.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Macca.
Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 136 total)
Reply To: Xc40 R Design Pro auto B4
Your information: