What caught your eye on the news today!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #185368 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I thought I would make a thread on what caught you eye in the news good or bad. This follows on from last week when I posted about the MP Lee Anderson who suggested we could cook a meal from scratch for 30p and foodbanks weren’t needed if we could cook.

So today another Tory MP Racheal Maclean the safeguarding minister has said “That people struggling with the cost of living should take on more hours or move to a better-paid job”

How does a comment like this help the most vulnerable in society. Those that can’t work, the disabled pensioners or even those that can only take up low paid work for what ever reason. I find Mp’s and ministers are so out of touch with with the public, the comments they come out with are beyond nonsense.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #189437 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Oh, dear. She’s off again…

#189441 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Before I scrolled down to see the picture I was thinking what has Nadine Dorries or Priti Patel said/done now.

#189494 Reply
    Brydo

It’s only a matter of time wigwam.

#189543 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Never gonna happen Brydo.

#189544 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well that’s alright then..

#189546 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i would lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#189554 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Only time will tell wigwam but if we continue to let ourselves be led by the fools who voted for brexit and BJ we deserve everything we get. Both have been disasters and we voted for neither.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#189556 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No, Brydo, time will not tell. There is no way that Sturgeon and her acolytes can make Scotland independent.  They had their chance and lost the argument.

That she wants to repeat the same question rather than a fairer one like do you want to remain part of the UK or leave the UK says it all.

#189566 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I can not see Sturgeons dream for independence happening in my lifetime, her dream of taking Scotland back into the EU will take an age if ever, even if candidate status is agreed. Sturgeon  did not get a majority in the election and had to rely on a collation to remain in power, so the chances are she will not be in power next time.

Even on the very very slim chance of this happening, it would be imperative to move all national (UK) interests such as Trident south of the border, plus there would be a huge financial settlement in gaining independence.

Sturgeon had her chance at independence and lost in a democratic vote. Just like the remainiacs lost and the brexitards won democratic vote 🤣

#189571 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

so this is the second vote in a generation and we will keep having them this generation until i get my way!!!

and we will look at changing the rules so i dont actually need a majority.

#189579 Reply
    Daf

No one in their right mind would want to continue with the status quo would they? The fact is that the Westminster Parliament is not only inept but structurally corrupt. I have no doubt that when the Scottish people decide the time is right they will regain control over their own affairs and do a damn sight better job than BJ and their ilk. The will of the people will prevail no matter what the imperialists say.

By the way I dont remember seeing anywhere that you can only get divorced once in a generation? That is what Scotland wants an amicable divorce so that it can go it’s own way. Had the Scots known that Little Britain was going to vote for Brexit I have no doubt the result of the referendum would have been very different. As a result they would have not only avoided BJs corrupt, inept government but also the disastrous effects of Brexit.

Personally I have no doubt that within the next 5 to 10 years we will see a Free Scotland and I for one wish them all the very best.

#189597 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

IMHO Bojo and Sturgeon are as corrupt as each other. Will they be in power for much longer. I highly doubt it. On this note it might be wise to hold tight and see.

On top of that what happens to those to the south who cross the border for work, its highly likely it will no longer be possible for them thus loosing their jobs. Sturgeons finances have proved  more than once not to be in order. If and a big if Scotland joins the EU, it would be used as a puppet similar to Ireland is and as I stated previous the loss of jobs with UK national interests etc, North sea oil/gas days are limited.

For me if I were in charge would want to think about it logically and financially. For this reason I don’t think Sturgeon is stable enough to do it for the love of her country. Whilst Boris on the other hand sells off whats left there will be little to salvage anyway.

#189619 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i dont think it will happen.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#189626 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #189630 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

They (politicians) are all chancers

#189642 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I certainly don’t want to “con” people into voting for independence but I think everybody knows what they are voting for if they vote SNP.
    Independence will of course have financial consequences, there’s no doubt about that, and the cost of all the bits and pieces should be laid out in front of the voters so an informed decision can be made.

Saying there was a vote in 2014 and it was decided then is correct but it should be up to the Scottish Government to decide if and when another vote is taken not the English government. The Scottish people will soon kick out any government who would do this so we should decide when the time is right and the SNP ran the last election on the independence ticket and they were returned as the biggest party in Edinburgh.

SNP are not my obvious party to vote for, they are a bit too left wing for me but they are the only party offering independence so they get my vote.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#189643 Reply
    Daf

I think there will be a second referendum with or without Westminsters blessing. If the Scots vote yes then it will be up to the UK government of the day whether or not they have the courage  to comply with the settled will of the Scottish people.

Brexit was always going to put a severe strain on the Union, especially the “Boris” version which resembles a slow motion car crash. I believe, as many warned, that Brexit might just be the source of the impetus to accelerate the process of self determination for Scotland.

One thing is for sure the next few years will be very interesting!

#189649 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Independence will of course have financial consequences, there’s no doubt about that, and the cost of all the bits and pieces should be laid out in front of the voters so an informed decision can be made.

I agree everything should be laid bare truthfully for voters to see. Something she  has never done previously is set it out truthfully. I can imagine there would be huge financial consequences as Ive stated previously, on top of that no funding from Westminster.

Do I agree with another referendum no. Reason why is we are a democratic society and if another were held and the answer was still no would she want another in 5yrs and so on. It would never be laid to bed. Just like brexit should not continue to have referendums just because one side was not happy because they lost and it wouldn’t in my opinion be democratic.

Also consider what the next government will do, sturgeon only got in this time with a collation government, so that tells me her popularity is waning.

If the good people of Scotland do choose independence I wish them all the luck but at the end of the day it will have no affect on me.

#189650 Reply
    Brydo

I agree Kezo it would have absolutely no effect on the English people.

#189666 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well-known for it, of course…

#190038 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I have this sneaking feeling that he might call a General Election as a last shot to hang onto power.

#190042 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Sunak and Javid quit….. Sunak quitting actually made my evening I even had a drink or two 🤣

I have this sneaking feeling that he might call a General Election as a last shot to hang onto power.

I feel what you have said is getting closer day by day.

#190044 Reply
    joss

Sunak and Javid quit….. Sunak quitting actually made my evening I even had a drink or two 🤣

I feel what you have said is getting closer day by day.

Well the news yesterday of Rishy and Javid resigning from the government is a step closer and massive pressure on bojo. Can’t wait for today’s resignations.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#190045 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

So my celebrations were short lived when I heard who is taking over from Sunak.

The situation as I see it has gone from very bad to very very bad = We are doomed.

Sunak registration letter stated:

“the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously”

I do wonder if he wrote that with himself in mind!

#190071 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Sevenoaks MP Laura Trott resigns from Department of Transport

Downing Street cat Larry ‘resigns’ and says he can’t live with Boris Johnson anymore

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/downing-street-cat-resigns-and-says-he-can-t-live-with-boris-johnson-anymore/ar-AAZexSL?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=32da0b8b07d44186b1c6ecd57395a070

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 161 total)
Reply To: What caught your eye on the news today!
Your information: