What caught your eye on the news today!

• Creator
    Topic
    kezo
    Participant

I thought I would make a thread on what caught you eye in the news good or bad. This follows on from last week when I posted about the MP Lee Anderson who suggested we could cook a meal from scratch for 30p and foodbanks weren’t needed if we could cook.

So today another Tory MP Racheal Maclean the safeguarding minister has said “That people struggling with the cost of living should take on more hours or move to a better-paid job”

How does a comment like this help the most vulnerable in society. Those that can’t work, the disabled pensioners or even those that can only take up low paid work for what ever reason. I find Mp’s and ministers are so out of touch with with the public, the comments they come out with are beyond nonsense.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 691 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      wmcforum
      Which Mobility Car

What cheered me up was the fact Jack Monroe is making a claim for libel against Lee Anderson.

Wigwam
        Participant

You would be absolutely right kezo, if that’s what she said – but she didn’t. The whole Sky interview is online.  As is the full interview with Lee Anderson describing his involvement with his local food Bank and the initiatives they are taking to help people manage better.

But looking at the facts would get in the way of a good headline…

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

I think that the term Food Bank is something of a misnomer, they should be called Help Centres. They offer advice with debt, support to access benefits and they all offer cooking advice as the parcel is not full of ready meals but mostly dried and tinned product that are ingredients for meals. Also the parcels are much more than food there is cleaning products, toothpaste, soap etc.

Lee Anderson may be doing great work with the food bank in his constituency, I imagine every single MP in the land is doing the same.

kezo
            Participant

You would be absolutely right kezo, if that’s what she said – but she didn’t. The whole Sky interview is online. As is the full interview with Lee Anderson describing his involvement with his local food Bank and the initiatives they are taking to help people manage better. But looking at the facts would get in the way of a good headline…

I don’t know @Wigwam, but what I heard Lee Anderson say In Parliament  and then defended his actions the next day was enough for me. I personally find comments like this quite bigotry especially from Mp’s who are by large so disconnected with the public. I

Wigwam
              Participant

Kezo, you might find you change your mind about him if you watch his interview. I think it was with GBNews. He does not come across to me as one of those MPs who are disconnected with the public.

ajn

I had an agreement with some to add to a food bank via a Supermarket due to an exchange of pond fish recently..

I do usually drop the old buy one get another free in there anyway…

However did about 15 boxes of cereals the other day at Aldi/Lidl I do think breakfast is important even though here’s lots of breakfast clubs now for kids, hopefully it will help the families not quite in that bracket for this breakfast club..

I think you make a good point too wmc..

wmcforum
                  Which Mobility Car

Kezo, you might find you change your mind about him if you watch his interview. I think it was with GBNews. He does not come across to me as one of those MPs who are disconnected with the public.

Yes, he is totally connected:

Anderson was at the centre of controversy during the election campaign after saying that “nuisance” council tenants should be forced to live in tents and pick vegetables. 

Anderson was also investigated by his party over claims of antisemitism during the campaign. The investigation followed allegations that he’d been a member of a Facebook group in which conspiracy theories about George Soros – who is Jewish – were promoted. 

He was on the receiving end of further criticism in 2020, after co-signing a letter with a number of other Tory MPs and peers in the Daily Telegraph which alluded to “cultural Marxism”. The term refers to what is widely acknowledged as an antisemitic conspiracy theory. 

Anderson made headlines again when he said he would not be watching the England football team in Euro 2020, and objected to players taking the knee before games as an anti-racist gesture. He also described Black Lives Matter as “a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life”.

Wigwam
                    Participant

Quite a slanted view there wmc. Can’t speak for your first comment, don’t know the source but anyone opposed to George Soros,  Cultural Marxism and BLM seems ok to me!

kezo
                      Participant

Yes, he is totally connected: Anderson was at the centre of controversy during the election campaign after saying that “nuisance” council tenants should be forced to live in tents and pick vegetables. Anderson was also investigated by his party over claims of antisemitism during the campaign. The investigation followed allegations that he’d been a member of a Facebook group in which conspiracy theories about George Soros – who is Jewish – were promoted. He was on the receiving end of further criticism in 2020, after co-signing a letter with a number of other Tory MPs and peers in the Daily Telegraph which alluded to “cultural Marxism”. The term refers to what is widely acknowledged as an antisemitic conspiracy theory. Anderson made headlines again when he said he would not be watching the England football team in Euro 2020, and objected to players taking the knee before games as an anti-racist gesture. He also described Black Lives Matter as “a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life”.

So not just a slip of his tongue with his latest outburst then.  TBH I don’t trust any of them.

If they wanted to show any compassion on the cost of living crisis the ideal thing for me, would have chosen at least a pay freeze if not a cut in their salary’s.

I have not watched Andersons interview as suggested by Wigwam and so can not comment on his findings and it isn’t worth rattling our feathers over politicians.

kezo
                        Participant

Anyhow back to some more unfortunate news. Diesel has hit a record high at a fraction under £1.80 a litre.

Maybe there will be some exciting news tomorrow rather than shooting’s police attacking pallbearers or politicians un useful outbursts 🙂

wmcforum
                          Which Mobility Car

Quite a slanted view there wmc. Can’t speak for your first comment, don’t know the source but anyone opposed to George Soros, Cultural Marxism and BLM seems ok to me!

I’ll pass your comments on to the Nottingham Post – https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk-world-news/lee-anderson-who-controversial-mp-7069211

BigDave
                            Participant

I had an agreement with some to add to a food bank via a Supermarket due to an exchange of pond fish recently.. I do usually drop the old buy one get another free in there anyway… However did about 15 boxes of cereals the other day at Aldi/Lidl I do think breakfast is important even though here’s lots of breakfast clubs now for kids, hopefully it will help the families not quite in that bracket for this breakfast club.. I think you make a good point too wmc..

What always strikes me as odd, are the things some people put into the boxes/trolleys beyond supermarket checkouts for donation to food banks.

I do once recall seeing in one (alongside the usual cereals, tins, pasta etc) a full 12 pack of Fever Tree tonic water tins, a jar of sliced lemons and pack of swizzle sticks. All that was missing was the gin (and ice)!

Obviously, the donator’s view of what is a necessity for those unfortunate enough to need to rely on a food bank, was somewhat lofty.

Saying that, if a decent bottle of gin had been included, I would have been quite appreciative of it!

kezo
                              Participant

What always strikes me as odd, are the things some people put into the boxes/trolleys beyond supermarket checkouts for donation to food banks. I do once recall seeing in one (alongside the usual cereals, tins, pasta etc) a full 12 pack of Fever Tree tonic water tins, a jar of sliced lemons and pack of swizzle sticks. All that was missing was the gin (and ice)! Obviously, the donator’s view of what is a necessity for those unfortunate enough to need to rely on a food bank, was somewhat lofty. Saying that, if a decent bottle of gin had been included, I would have been quite appreciative of it!

Certainly is an odd thing to put in the foodbank trolley, even more so a good quality tonic. I make do with Schweppes.

Tanqueray No.10 is my go to gin 🙂

kezo
                                Participant

Starting the morning off with a bit of good news first. 🙂

Ukraine’s deputy defence minister has said, more than 200 Ukrainian soldiers are being evacuated from Azovstal steel plant in the city of Mariupol after weeks of resistance.

Some 53 troops are being taken to hospital in the Russian-controlled town of Novoazovsk. Another 211 people are being taken to Olenivka, about 55 miles north, through humanitarian corridors, she said, adding that they would be exchanged with Russian military prisoners before returning home.

Anyone got room for a granny flat!.

A Conservative MP and her wisdom has suggested people could “incentivise granny annexes” to save money amid the cost of living crisis.

Speaking in the Queen’s Speech debate on making Britain the best place to grow up and grow old, former minister Jackie Doyle-Price said the government should be “encouraging people to make better use of their housing asset for the whole of their family”.

She told MPs: “We can incentivise granny annexes, we can make sure that young people have got some hope by having greater access to the wealth in their parents’ home.

“And I tell you, if we can do that, we will actually save money in the health service because unnecessary hospital stays are much more expensive than dealing with the little inheritance tax problem, which might unlock some investment.”

kezo
                                  Participant

With fuel  prices at an all time high, it is scandalous how these company’s continue to profiteer during the current times.

Tharg
                                    Participant

“Slanted view” about Anderson and his views and past transgressions? Don’t know the primary sources but Wikipedia covers them in detail. Moreover, the Daily Mail reports the same facts as gospel so they MUST be true.

Wigwam
                                      Participant

@kezo.  It’s from the Politico London daily newsletter. Free subscription.

kezo
                                        Participant

‘How to steal a Russian tank’: The extraordinary resistance tips the Ukrainian government is giving civilians

Made me chuckle when I saw this 🙂

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/how-to-steal-a-russian-tank-the-extraordinary-resistance-tips-the-ukrainian-government-is-giving-civilians/ar-AAXFiG3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5f33a9242387412cbff773039afd7e5a

Wigwam
                                          Participant

And yet there is no link to the alleged website which suggests it’s just maybe not true.

wmcforum
                                            Which Mobility Car
                                              Wigwam
                                              Participant

Thanks wmc. Interesting…

kezo
                                                Participant
                                                  kezo
                                                  Participant

The big question is will the electorate let them get away with it, at the next elections.

Participant

Mr Justice Swift again(he of the dla payment sccam).. Allowing the Rwanda flights.. good govt man and no doubt will be a lord or a sir shortly.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                                      Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kezo
                                                      Participant

Mr Justice Swift again(he of the dla payment sccam).. Allowing the Rwanda flights.. good govt man and no doubt will be a lord or a sir shortly.

Lets hope the plane is full.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 691 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.