joss
    Participant

Place holder

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #128529 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@joss thats a pretty good price as well, for the AMD Ryzen 5 although i have the 2400g version it played steam games online like resident evil rather well and gta iv good once you tweak the settings abit. Got me threw lockdown.

#128531 Reply
    Tharg

@joss and @rox thank you very, very much for your help and advice. Will read and investigate asap. Currently buried under Asda delivery. Cheers,all!

#128579 Reply
    Tharg

@joss and @rox Gents. Thanks again for advice. Screen of the Samsung now held by just two screws and about to come apart so will have to order now. lol I will go with your recommendation, Joss. Just to be sure, the machine you mention is the HP 15s-eq1510sa 15.6″ Laptop – AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD for just shy of £500 from Currys PC world? Thought I ought to double check just in case a glitch sent me the wrong link.

So have I got the right one there? Will order this morning if it is.

#128586 Reply
    joss
    Participant

@Tharg yes the link is correct. Go get it before lockdown. Here is the link again

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-eq1510sa-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10207935-pdt.html

Just be aware! this is on line Price. If you go to shop they may want to charge you more. If so argue the toss as its urgent.

Also don’t fall for the extended warranty. Its bullshit and a rip off.

Let me know how you get on Tharg

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by joss.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128589 Reply
    Tharg

Mate, thank you again. Will go off and order now. They offer next-day delivery free here and I ain’t going into their disease-vector shop in any way! Sorry to hassle you with double-check – just fully aware that Murphy.com will get you if it can!

#128590 Reply
    Tharg

I absolutely despair of companies in this place! Despite saying overnight free delivery. They also say no deliveries available. Unable to get any sense from helplines/chatline/phonelines. I be safe to order from another supplier? I know some of ’em can be well dodgy.

#128593 Reply
    Tharg

@joss Please ignore above question. No-one, anywhere has one of these for sale/delivery. Currys DO have one but only for collection from about 50 miles away. How difficult can it be to post a bloody computer?

#128594 Reply
    Tharg

@joss I really am so sorry to be such a pain. One simple and I hope last question. Have given up on your original choice. Would a “HP 255 G7 15.6″ Laptop – AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD” do the job? It’s the only one I can find of same spec. It is £80ish more expensive but I’m getting that desperate I don’t think I can be too fussy.

#128615 Reply
    joss
    Participant

@Tharg  be aware so of these come with FreeDos operating system! Not what you want. They do a win 10 version though.

Personally I would make the 100 mile round trip to get the original one I suggested.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128624 Reply
    Tharg

Thanks Joss. Will look into it.

#128663 Reply
    Tharg

@joss Following your advice I checked and the device in question does have Win 10 so have placed order. Curiously, the only source which will deliver is Currys but via Ebay. Ordering direct, no delivery.

#128665 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Turned into an epic this did lol. Hopefully you get this one ok.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128668 Reply
    Tharg

Epic. Yup – so sorry to have had deluge you with it. But with your help I reckon I’ve got the right appliance. Will just take  me three or four days to get it working! lol

#128670 Reply
    Tharg

Also, meant to say – would have loved to take a 100miles round trip. A chap’s Mini would have loved it as well, nice countryside ride. Sadly, health issues prevent. Mrs T still in recovery and I’m not happy being out for more than half an hour. Can’t wait until next week, Samsung will be is bits by then!

#128684 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Gorilla tape 🐵

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128705 Reply
    Tharg

Already using that. Just about holds as long as I don’t think about folding the screen. Sticky stuff also catches the shedding screws/bolts and give me a hint as to where I should try to reattach them.

#128814 Reply
    Tharg

Test post, please ignore if it gets there

#128822 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Looks like a test post to me ✅

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128852 Reply
    Tharg

Test msg was to check whether Windows would let me post on here. It stopped me doing it yesterday by taking off “name” and “mail” entries, above, which were always automatic before. Just did it again. This is second msg this morning. First one just disappeared on “send”. Try again…

#128853 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Okay then. That seems to have worked at last. The thing had signed me out. Now put that right. Back soon with comments on new machine and the whole Windows thing.

#128859 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Ahhh the old signed out trick lol, done that often.

Looking forward to new machine comments Tharg

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128861 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

As you may have guessed, I actually did a set of new mek comments. In first post which suffered a mutated algorithm and entered singularity never to be seen again. Back soon.

#128885 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

+Right then. At last a chance to say something without a pot-roast   brisket demanding my attention. Much to say. This will be long post. So…

Good things:  dead easy to set up once I had shut up the annoying doxy blathering. Had it running in about two hours. If memory serves, the Samsung took about two days. Very quick when switched on. Takes a matter of seconds before you get a screen capable of doing something. Old one took two minutes or more. Similarly on shut down; seconds as opposed to minutes and lots of things to click. Also allows me to chose when I want updates done rather than just taking over and shutting me out for two hours or more.

Bad things: Microsoft/Windows control-freak circuits seem unaddressed. I had to agree to let Windows access, inspect and even delete my Gmail. If I didn’t agree it would not finish setting up and letting me use it. Have now stopped it doing that and am wondering what nasties it’ll chuck at me for doing so. I do not want the Cloud storage thingey. Some of my documents will probably contain contain bank stuff and passwords and I do not trust it. So dug through many screens of settings until I find “unlink this machine”. I did this. Following day, cloud is back again. Windows does not tell you that unlink means for just a limited period. Back to screens again until get to another thing, name escapes me, which takes the whole Cloud access away. This seems to work.

Above point illustrates the whole Windows/Microsoft lack of ease-of-use. It is so not intuitive. Especially when it means you won’t be buying something from them. I need a simple word processor (can I use that description anymore?). Only want it to write letters, print recipes etc. Samsung had a basic version of MS Word which I could use free. Seems fair when I’m paying a fair bit for MS software. Not so on this thing. Want me to pay for the whole, mega-supercharged, go-faster Word and a lot of other stuff the functions of which defeat me. Punted around a bit on the machine and found Wordpad which appears to be free and does the job.

Still difficult to know what things the machine will do. For example, despite owning the Samsung for 10-15 years I only last year discovered the big list of stuff you get when hitting the start button. It initially reveals a list of some ten or so things. NOW I know that you can scroll down this to reveal many more. Scroll bar is hidden, invisible, unless you pull across slowly with cursor until it lights. Basic error, I know, but if a thing is invisible how do you know to look for it. Similarly, at startup, pretty picture plops on screen with a few msgs from Windows. Nowhere does it tell you to click once on screen to make anything happen.  Took me a while to get this.

Anyhoo, it works. I can send emails and post stuff here and order supermarket stuff. Happy bunny. Must now go and do veggies to accompany Brisket. Thanks again for all help. Gods know what I’d have ended up with without your advice. Cheers!

#128888 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Good things: dead easy to set up once I had shut up the annoying doxy blathering. Had it running in about two hours. If memory serves, the Samsung took about two days. Very quick when switched on. Takes a matter of seconds before you get a screen capable of doing something. Old one took two minutes or more. Similarly on shut down; seconds as opposed to minutes and lots of things to click. Also allows me to chose when I want updates done rather than just taking over and shutting me out for two hours or more.

OK Tharg, welcome to the world of Solid State Hard drives. Fast as lightening and no defragging ever. Automatic trim software Keeps everything sweet. As for the choosing when to allow windows to update is a tick box exercise. In order to make life easier with win 10 let me suggest you visit then book mark Win 10 Forums.

Bad things: Microsoft/Windows control-freak circuits seem unaddressed. I had to agree to let Windows access, inspect and even delete my Gmail. If I didn’t agree it would not finish setting up and letting me use it. Have now stopped it doing that and am wondering what nasties it’ll chuck at me for doing so. I do not want the Cloud storage thingey. Some of my documents will probably contain contain bank stuff and passwords and I do not trust it. So dug through many screens of settings until I find “unlink this machine”. I did this. Following day, cloud is back again. Windows does not tell you that unlink means for just a limited period. Back to screens again until get to another thing, name escapes me, which takes the whole Cloud access away. This seems to work.

Bad things: Microsoft/Windows control-freak circuits seem unaddressed. OK Tharg, depending on which version of windows you have, things have moved on a pace. Many of these issues have been fixed.  I am on win 10 pro version 2004. OS Build 19041.572. There is a new version but I will wait a while before installing that. Do you know what win version you have? Again let me suggest a youTube channel I follow [/quote]that is very helpful with all things WINDOWS 10 Britec09

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#128889 Reply
    joss
    Participant

I will reply to rest later Tharg, can’t concentrate now

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
Reply To: The PC and all tech related stuff. coming soon
Your information: