The PC and all tech related stuff.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #102269 Reply
    joss

Place holder

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by joss.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165998 Reply
    brydo

Not sure what that is Plato, so probably not. Could you point me in the direction of a link?

#165999 Reply
    Plato
    Participant

Basically, you go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 click the “Download Tool Now” and you run it and pick “upgrade this pc” , and follow the instructions and pick keep all files and programs etc. basically keep all. Then continue. And it will replace the windows in its entirety without changing anything drastic

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Plato.
    #166005 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yes Plato tried the both of them but no joy, ive tried most of the basic stuff but nothings working.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#166006 Reply
    Plato
    Participant

And what about making a usb and doing it from the bios?

#166012 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

i have a usb but not sure how to do it from BIOS. I’m familiar with getting in to BIOS not sure what to do when in.

#166015 Reply
    joss

Brydo my advice is to leave the bios alone if you are not confident. You can real screw up things if you don’t know what your doing in there. @Plato no offence.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166016 Reply
    Plato
    Participant

Not offended, he either knows how to boot from device or not, I don’t know his level.
    And to be fair i should catch up where this stemmed from, I don’t even know why here in first place

#166113 Reply
    Brydo

Attention all geeks, YouTube is full of clips showing how to update to windows 11 when your existing computer is not up to spec. Some look a bit too complicated for someone with my basic knowledge but if you see any you think would be doable please post here.

Thanks

#166151 Reply
    joss

Brydo forget updating to Win 11. Win 10 is good for another 4 or 5 years of support. Even then, they would probably extend again.

Britec09 on Youtube is a great channel to follow for computer updates,you should follow him and look through his post videos. Very knowledgable guy.  https://www.youtube.com/c/Britec09

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166155 Reply
    Plato

Totally what joss said, I won’t be touching 11 for a long time, just remember windows to most people is just a launcher for chrome or apps. Next to nobody uses “new windows features”

#166159 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yes Joss but my 1903 windows 10 isn’t supported, so if i cant get it to update windows 11 seems a better option than buying something new.

#166175 Reply
    joss

@Brydo you can’t buy windows 11. The only way to get it is via an update to win 10. However, if you buy a new machine you could get win 11 OEM that way.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166181 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

So far my son and I have done 5 “test” upgrades to Win 11, only 1 of them worked.

My main PC, his and his partners gaming PC’s and gaming laptop all failed and reverted back to 10.  The only thing that it worked on was my new laptop which has very little on it apart from Windows itself.

Clean installs on all 5 worked perfectly, the only real annoyance is the insistence to have a Microsoft account and an Internet connection to be able to install it.  There was a “secret” way to opt out on the trial version but that no longer works.

My laptop (which I hadn’t set up a Microsoft account for upgraded OK without being asked for one.

Will we be switching to it any time soon? short answer is no.  I’ve left it on my laptop as it hardly ever gets used just to see how it runs.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#166194 Reply
    struth
    Participant

amazingly my processor isnt supported by win11.. its an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 ghz.

so i have no choice to make

#166199 Reply
    Brydo

Struth there are a number of YouTube videos that show you how to get windows 11 even if your processor is not supported. They are a bit technical , the procedures so don’t know if you are ok with that or not. I am a complete novice but will likely give it a go in the future.

#166211 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Struth there are a number of YouTube videos that show you how to get windows 11 even if your processor is not supported. They are a bit technical , the procedures so don’t know if you are ok with that or not. I am a complete novice but will likely give it a go in the future.

cheers will take a looksee. im not overly fussed if i cant get it. its a cheek to say a processor like that isnt supported especially as its intel. microsoft wanting to sell more computers no doubt

#166251 Reply
    c2clo
    Participant

I have been following this thread with a wry smile. Before retirement I built, managed and looked after large amounts a lot of Windows PC’s starting with Win2, over the years. When I retired I bought myself an iMac and to be honest have never looked back. Yes iMac’s are expensive, yes they are difficult to upgrade or fiddle with, but they also work. My current iMac is 2011, and other than op sys upgrades, has not rebooted for over 12 months, has not crashed once and all the software I need is provided for free by Apple or Open Source. A machine built 10 years ago will run Windows faster and more reliably than any PC I have ever come across, including Win 11 as part of the Insider Program.

Yes I know iMacs aren’t for everyone in the same way as PC’s aren’t either. Mine is linked to two Synology NAS servers (heartily recommended) and links seamlessly to everything I have ever tried to connect it too. I am so glad my fighting with PC days are over.

I hope you all manage to get Win11 up and running, using the excellent support on the forum, but if not try an iMac, they really are worth the expense. Just a thought, ask yourself how much you have spent on PC hardware in the last ten years and will your latest pride and joy still be working in 10 years, running the latest software/operating system.

SEAT Tarraco 2.0TSi 190 4Drive Excellence with Pano Roof and leather seats!

#166660 Reply
    Brydo

Man versus machine and on this occasion Man won YESSSSSSS.

Version 21H1 installed and working, I’m being supported again and it feels good lol.

#166677 Reply
    joss

@Brydo  how did you get it sorted out ?

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166682 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Not sure joss, downloaded a few things, like Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components and lenovo diagnostics and WuReset, ran them, then tried to update and it worked, as if by magic lol. It didnt update straight away to 21H1 it took a number of updates to get to this but I’m there now so hopefully all is good.

#166683 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Oh and i hit it so maybe thats what fixed it lol.

#166687 Reply
    joss

hahahahahaaha a good wallop often fixes things. well done Brydo

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166692 Reply
    Brydo

@joss I’ve lost count of the number of hours I’ve spent trying to sort it, so I feel great, really really pleased with myself lol 😂

#166703 Reply
    joss

And so you should Brydo. This is how you learn to do things on your own merit. Kudos to you

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166705 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well done, Brydo. While I have understood little of this thread, I DO know the sort of problems faced dealing with Microsoft Mayhem and rejoice in your success at beating it. Your comments remind me of a friend who worked with all sorts of electrical and digital kit. When all else fails, he said, try the “two-foot drop-test”

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)
Reply To: The PC and all tech related stuff.
Your information: