The book club

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138834 Reply
    Brydo

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are.

I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

Viewing 15 replies - 251 through 265 (of 265 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #162650 Reply
    Georgie

Sorry, I posted my first draught by mistake.  And still missed the typo!

#162652 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Horribly overpowered with a 35hp engine Tharg. Most of the old slipper boats had petrol engines about 8 or 10hp like a Morris Vedette or even single cylinder Stewart Turners. Torque rather than horse power mattered to push them along at the maximum 7mph allowed on the Upper Thames.

#162653 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Beautiful boats indeed. Would not choose to con one below Teddington though. No draft at all and Mama Thames can be pretty brutal with her tides.

Knowing the way movies are made, I reckon the Riva in the Indiana Jones thing probably was totalled. Unforgiveable. Those are the most beautiful launches. Ever. On bucket list to go to Monte Carlo and hire one for a day or so (only place I know they can be rented).

Even worse is the From Russia… climax. They bought some five or so Fairey Huntsman launches and sank, blew up, dismembered four of them! Very painful to watch. Huntsman and Swordsman possibly the best British classic launch. Have heard of power-boat enthusiasts in tears when watching it.

#162664 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I had a set of fenders off a Riva on my sailing dinghy. Closest I got to one..

#162675 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Those slippers look so fast that you them to have a Volvo petrol V8 hidden away somewhere. Forgot about pace restrictions on non-tidal Thames.

Some Rivas of course have two of the buggers buried in the back. Saw them for hire in Monte Carlo when at a conference there (couldn’t afford it under own steam). Very frustrating seeing them floating elegantly in harbour begging to be taken out. Couldn’t even afford to sit in one!

#163067 Reply
    Georgie

Hello!  I’m back.  Finished Wild Chamber a couple of days ago – the ‘who’ who ‘dunnit’ was more than usually unexpected, and I’m not entirely sure it satisfied – they were too much an incidental character.  Still, even if the conclusion was a bit of a squib (imho), the Game itself was well worth the candle.

So last night I Took the plunge, Bit the bullet, Seized the nettle and veritably Crossed the Rubicon:

Shōgun

My goodness, I’d forgotten just how good a writer Clavell was.  Utterly engrossing, wakarimasu ka?  

#163193 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Felt the same meself re Wild Chamber. Kinda fizzled out. Tried another Garth Nix – set of stories in the Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz series. Hmmm. Might work out OK. Have also started Kim Watt’s second Gobbelino book. Not as good as the rest but still fun. Am sure you’ll enjoy Shōgun again.

#163195 Reply
    Georgie

I sometimes wondered what happened to ‘Gobbelino – the Witch’s Cat’ by Ursula Moray Williams.  I have a copy of the original, which includes Gobbelino saving the ship from a Sea Witch, at the cost of revealing his true nature, by climbing to the top of the mast and shouting “Fiddlesticks to you, madam!”

#163224 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Regret not read Ms Williams stuff. Will have to put that right.

#163227 Reply
    Georgie

It’s a very sweet and funny little children’s story (c. 4 – 7 yrs) about a kitten with magical powers who doesn’t want to be a Witch’s cat like his mother and sister, so he runs away, has many adventures,

SPOILER SPACE

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    ultimately has his magic taken away by the spiteful Witch and spends the rest of his days, utterly happy, as a family pet.

I still have my childhood copy, which is now rather fragile.  It was out of print for decades, but I’ve just discovered there was a re-print for it’s 70th anniversary in 2012 and I’ve just ordered a copy.  🙂

#163239 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I think we must have it somewhere. Just the sort of thing Mrs T would treasure. Will, very carefully, hunt through our vintage stuff, from Dylan to Longfellow, and see what I can find. Also, finally found her volume of poems. Will try to post some – here or on Interesting Stuff…

#164165 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Just started re-reading Lord of the rings. I forgot how good the book is.

#164167 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Too right, Fastbike. It is always on my list of “read agains”. Must do it soon. Much better than the films, I reckon.

#164175 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It’s amazing how much the film as left out Tharg.</p>

#164176 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Too right, Fastbike. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are nowhere to be seen. Tried to watch one of the films at a cinema. Had to leave – it was so loud, particularly the “hidden” underfloor bass speakers, that it physically made me want to chuck up. Couldn’t hear half the dialogue either. Too much background noise.

Viewing 15 replies - 251 through 265 (of 265 total)
Reply To: The book club
Your information: