The book club

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138834 Reply
    Brydo

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are.

I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

Viewing 11 replies - 226 through 236 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158679 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Haven’t read Crispin’s Gilded Fly. Will put that to rights as soon as. Know what you mean about Charles Grey. How louche can a chap be!? Perfect for Gervase Fen. Currently halfway through latest Dresden. So he’s half brother to a vampire, eh? Seems like his late mother needs a series of her own!

#158716 Reply
    struth
    Participant

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are. I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do. So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are. I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do. So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

what do you like, might help.. i love all the flashman books, and there are a good few from george mcdonald fraser. but lots of others too. ludlum books are good as are fredrick forsyth

#158744 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nearly forgot. Charles Gray was Mycroft Holmes to Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock in the wonderful Granada series. Delightfully menacing.

#158915 Reply
    Georgie

Highlight of The Gilded Fly – the large, bald parrot in a 1940 Oxford pub that sings extracts from the 19th century German poem Die Lorelei at chucking out time.

😀

#158918 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Next on list! Just finished Blood Rites from Dresden. Best yet. Like his stricken half-brother vampire. Some great nasties in it too. Just love the dog who has just been named “Mouse”. Reckon he matures to be size of a medium pony. Shall order Gilded Fly straight away.

#159626 Reply
    Georgie

I confess the Gervaise Fens aren’t in the same league as Lord Peter Wimsey and certainly not as good as the Bryant and May’s, but they are nice enough for a bit of light reading.  G.F. is a little too ‘perfect’ an amateur sleuth for me.  At least Wimsey, irritating though he could be at times, had his PTSD to make him human and possibly keep him humane, and Sherlock his opium habit and bad violin playing (I always imagine it’s bad, any way).  Good characters need a flaw, or an ‘Achilles heel’.

#160003 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

HOT NEWS! Dare I say, Read All About It..? Bryant and May have a new tale, released just a few days ago: London Bridge is Falling Down, available on Kindle now. Just a little bit of good news to lift one’s spirits a tad. Now if someone could resurrect Iain M Banks and his Culture series I would be very happy. Surprised, but happy

#160009 Reply
    Georgie

That is good news!  It came out in hardback last week, but I’m collecting the series in paperback so I’ll have to wait until . . . 24th March 2022.  Wah.  Why there has to be an eight month gap I have no idea.

#160014 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My problem is resisting the urge to abandon the latest Dresden File to read the B&M. I will resist… I will be good…

#160062 Reply
    Georgie

Have you read any more of the Falco series?  Though others have come close, that one is still my absolute favourite set of books.

#160070 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

No, Georgie. No more Falcos (Falcae?). Whenever I’ve been ready to go get one, something else has come up. Shall put that right soon. Currently well into Dead Beat from Mr Dresden which I am enjoying… they seem to be getting better the more of them that I read. His character-definition improves much in this one (Waldo Butters is excellent) and he does not seem to crowding them with too many people, things and story strands.

BTW, was corresponding with someone about science-fiction novel series and the subject of Iain M Banks’s Culture series came up. Have you read any of his stuff?

Viewing 11 replies - 226 through 236 (of 236 total)
Reply To: The book club
Your information: