The book club

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138834 Reply
    Brydo

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are.

I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

Viewing 13 replies - 276 through 288 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165569 Reply
    Georgie

Shogun is done with and back on the bookcase.  Sayonara, Anjin-san!

Started A Morbid Taste for Bones this morning.  Hello, old friend. 🙂

#165580 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Of the Cadfaels’s which I’ve read, I have to say that Morbid Taste for Bones is really the best.

Am now halfway through the latest of Laurie King’s Russell & Holmes series, Castle Shade. As ever, utterly enjoyable. All the novels are, obviously, set in the past and she always chooses a prominent character for each setting. These choices are always intriguing, involving and seduce you into finding out more. “Guest” for this one is Queen Marie of Romania in the 20s and 30s. A granddaughter of Victoria, she was well regarded by populace and became a powerful statesman (statesperson sounds wrong, sorry) – totally against the odds for a female at the time. She took on the WW1 Peace Conference single-handed and got what she wanted for her country.

#165585 Reply
    Georgie

Russell & Holmes – I never knew about those.  Now I do.  Looked at the concept and like what I saw.  More books for the Wish List!  Still have a few Bryant & May and three more Gervaise Fen to buy and read first, though, and I’m thinking of thinking of getting Asimov’s Foundation series, too.

So many books: So little time.

#165673 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thought I’d mentioned Miss Russell here before. Obviously didn’t. Sad omission because I’m sure you’d like to take a look. Help to read them in order. First one might seem a bit slow because there’s lots of setting up. Persevere, though, it is well worth it. Ms King is a delightful writer always choosing and making intriguing characters and setting her stuff in fantastic locations. There’s one set in 20s Venice with Cole Porter and his “set” of feckless hangers-on. Marvellous entertainment, particularly when the extremely gay Porter clashes with straight authority.

#165740 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Now, maybe it’s just me but there seem to be a whole bundle of books with OAPs, sorry, mature retirees, acting as detectives. Bryant and May, obviously; then there’s Osman’s Thursday Murder Club series and now I discover a new series called The Marlow Murder Club by Robert Thorogood (chap behind the Beeb’s Death in Paradise tv series).

Meeja sources say there are many more, relatively new works of the same ilk. Suspect the Marlow set may make it on to TV. Osman’s first novel is, allegedly, being filmed by Spielberg. As one who is north of three-score and ten, I don’t know whether to be worried or grateful.

#166122 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

All praise to Minerva! Have launched back into the exploits of Marcus Didius Falco and am wondering why it took me so long to do so. Shadows in Bronze is an absolute cracker. Will now have to resist bingeing through the lot.

#166365 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Finished Shadows in Bronze and will not be able to resist a binge-ette on the next two or three in series. She really does bring Imperial Rome and its people alive. Wonder if we’ll see Nero the ox again? You’ve got to love him!

#166741 Reply
    Georgie

Haha!  Another Falco convert.  I warned you they were addictive! >:-D

Rest assured that Nero does reappear.

Speaking of binge-reading – Once I finish Cadfael 3 – Monk’s Hood I will be launching into Leviathan Wakes, the first novel in The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey (aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck).  The ninth and final novel comes out next month, so I think it’s safe to make a start on them now. 🙂

I must just remember not to read further ahead than the TV series has so far reached, even though the two apparently diverge at some point.  The sixth and final season of the TV series should appear on Amazon on December 10th (Yay!), which is another thing to look forward to.

#166748 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I have to admit, despite reading a mountain of articles, newspapers, magazines etc, have never read an English language fiction book in my life.

#166763 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Shall look forward to meeting Nero again. Ms Davis has a brilliant way with characters, even the winged or four-legged ones. Read somewhere that Falco acquires a dog at some point; really  want to meet said canis.

#166767 Reply
    Georgie

What sort of stuff do you like to read, fwippers?

#166770 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

What sort of stuff do you like to read, fwippers?

Mainly factual or stories in Spanish.

#166773 Reply
    Georgie

Well I have to confess that, other than Don Quixote, I’m not really well versed in Spanish literature. Sorry.

But “factual” has promise! 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 276 through 288 (of 288 total)
Reply To: The book club
Your information: