Interesting ‘stuff’

• This topic has 92 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 17 replies - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #162873 Reply
    Georgie

Some heavy duty ‘cool’ there.  And it makes a change from roosters.

Ever noticed the beautiful ‘gilded ship’ weather vane on the roves of Banks?  Farnham has a lovely one on top of the Nationwide Bank building at the foot of Castle Street.

#162926 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cant’t says I’ve spotted the gilded ship ones. However, people in our village can get quite creative with weather vanes. There are a couple of falcons (kestrels, I think). The best, though, was custom-made for a new house: deckchairs and a beach-hut. Mad. Love it. Will try to get snap. Hopefully I’m too old and crumbly to be thought a stalker.

#163017 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Had to find out about and install the Zoom thingey so someone can see as well as hear me. Dead worried. Previous attempts to get stuff like this to work led to much use of anglo-saxon and threats to computer with pair of Stilsons. Needn’t have worried. All went well. Even managed to make ear-buds work with it. Damn silly, I know, but I feel pleased at making this thing work.

#163032 Reply
    joss

Well done that man. everyday is a school day Tharg

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#163034 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, joss. The whole “project” had me worried because I only had two hours to get it done. Must say, the Zoom site is not as bad as most like it. Still too many optional ways of doing things. Only thing they don’t tell you is that, when using ear buds, you have to dig around and find the settings bit in the program and tell it to play though the ear things!

#163399 Reply
    ajn

🤣😂 not really interesting but I’m bored waiting for a parcel..https://youtu.be/TOlm_aK9o6M

#163434 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Not everybody’s cup of Earl Grey, I know, but the much-awaited new series of the Kiwi cop series The Brokenwood Mysteries is to air on the Drama Channel on Monday at 9pm. Not too much publicity about Drama’s screening and you might have missed it. Brokenwood is lightweight, fun and nonsense but hugely enjoyable if you like lightweight.. etc. Midsomer Murders with more humour. Try it.

#163450 Reply
    ajn

I always loved the near miss swerve when speeding through the country lanes on Midsomer Murders 😲😖😳😓🤨

#163079 Reply
    Georgie

My favourite Scottish ‘celebrity chef’, Big Clive. brings us – Panko Orange Cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia935tO1EPY

Take 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqE4L0-uts

His electric Hog-Dog cooker is also entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZZbuOeNmw

#163566 Reply
    ajn

Loved the hot dogger, commentary excellent, but those tinned hot dog things I’ve never tried them, they stink 🤢

#163567 Reply
    joss

@ajn made from mechanical recovered “chicken bits, cow and pork bits”.

When they chow down on a hot dog, consumers also get much more than they bargained for—including glass, plastic, metal, bone, rodents, and other miscellaneous objects. It’s no surprise that the World Health Organization now classifies hot dogs and other processed meats as carcinogenic—in the same category as cigarettes and asbestos.

It takes a liquid smoke bath, a salt-water treatment, and many other flavourings to make consumers forget that they’re eating runny flesh trimmings that—let’s be honest—resemble an alarming case of diarrhoea.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by joss. Reason: added more text

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#163578 Reply
    Georgie

Oh aye, Hot Dogs/Frankfurters can certainly be the ultimate ‘mystery meat’ meal – but ‘good quality’ ones are sooo tasty!   I stick with Herta for Franks, but H-D’s made with chipolatas are also excellent.

What goes into McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets doesn’t bear much lose scrutiny either (57% fat, and the US version contains Dimethylpolysiloxane, which is silicone-based).  I liked them when they first came out, but within about six weeks the flavour (contents) changed and now they’re pretty horrible.

#163579 Reply
    ajn

Oh that video Joss, I’m glad I hate the smell of them, and never tasted them now..

#163590 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

“H-D’s made with chipolatas are also excellent”

Yup. They’re also very good made with proper German Bratwurst (many types thereof, inc. chipolata size) or any other wurst taking your fancy. The Käsekrainer variety is particularly good with tasty cheese lumps inside. Good chipolata size ones available in Waitrose! Almost all claim to have high pork or beef content, like 80 or 90%.

#163671 Reply
    Georgie

Alas, not at the Waitrose that delivers to me.  The only Bratwurst is ‘Unearthed Bratwurst’ and the reviews are mixed, to say the least – either 5* or 1*.  Marmite sausages!

Guess I’ll just have to try them for myself.

#163675 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

If your Waitrose does the “unearthed” ones then those are the ones I mean. However, if you draw a blank there there’s an outfit called, appropriately, The Sausage Man. Based in Sarf London, they ain’t cheap but super quality. Everything comes frozen (with dry ice). I reckon they could deliver to you. As you know, we’re in Worthing and there’s no trouble delivering here. The do a wide range of wurst as well as the super frikadellen burgeresque things and some decent wiener schnitzels.

#163870 Reply
    ajn

Oh can’t sleep, I was hoping to watch a vid of some sort, I’ve been spoilt so far  👍..

Viewing 17 replies - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: