Interesting ‘stuff’

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169758 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Delightful surprise just after lunch. Glanced skywards and saw an eagle. As ever, did not flap the mighty barn door wings at all. Just gently hung on the air pulling huge circles then, no doubt deciding that it had spotted a potential mid-afternoon snack, accelerated like the clappers towards food.  Again, not one flap of wing. Understand that a number of Sea Eagles have been introduced on the Isle of Wight so assume this was one of them. 🦅

#169814 Reply
    Georgie

Excellent spot with the Sea Eagle, Tharg.  I’ve yet to see one, but I’m not on the coast nearly as often as I’d like to be.  In Didcot the Red Kites keep having to be rescued from back gardens because they can land easily enough but don’t have a long enough ‘runway’ for taking off again.  I wonder if this will happen with the eagles?

Soooo . . . .

Today’s lunchtime viewing was from the Brick Experiment Channel, dedicated to the Wonder that is Lego and totally addictive.  Here are the three videos I watched earlier – an inspiration for anyone with an interest in Engineering.  I can see a new and expensive hobby starting after this! 🙂

Making Lego Car cross gaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwglOlD7e0M

Making Lego Car (that makes a cute noise) climb obstacles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHHErfX9hI

Making a Drone using Lego Motors and Propellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUVvQk7XLd4

#169872 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Would have thought an eagle’s wing is just so good at aerodynamics that, as long as there’s some wind, it’ll make a takeoff from the ground. Might be wrong – an enclosed garden would present problems. You don’t surprise me with the kites. They really are the wood pigeon of birds of prey, i.e. a bit dim. Many times in the Fens, have come round a corner to find 2 or 3 of them tucking in to roadkill in centre of road. Kestrels and crows have learned to remove dinner from carriageway.

Love the videos. Great engineering. Would like to see them done in Meccano with, say, steam power?

#170066 Reply
    Georgie

Not quite the same thing, but here’s some Meccano steam power! 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_qXxg9Noc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfWVanfqZFQ

#170073 Reply
    ajn

That little steam engine i found it quite hypnotic..😵‍💫🔥💭💭

#170107 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Brilliant vid’s! Take a Bowden cable type affair from the drive shaft, connect to drone rotor gearing and off you go! Steam drone. How hard can it be?

#172153 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@mitch So we seem to share an interest not only in Minis and 200sx Nissans! Old film cameras too 📷. Having done snapping professionally in the dim distant past, I still have and use my trusty Pentax ME Super. Dead simple and satisfying to use (like Mini and 200sx!). Used it from everything from portraits to air-to-air photos with perfect results. Pentax also make good lenses and I use their classic 135mm and a ridiculously expensive f1.2 50mm (a gift – couldn’t afford to buy one). When one could go out and about in the streets, used to wander along the seafront or the market in Worthing just snapping whatever came along. Was also making a study of local churches – details come out better in black-and-white.

Also collect old larger format stuff. Was given a Tele Rollei which is marvellous for portraits. Difficult to use though since it weighs over 2kg. Bought a couple of folding jobbies –  a Zeiss Ikon (120 film) and a marvellous Croydon-made Agifold 2 ¼ square. They are over 70 years old but made so well they still work perfectly. As does my Leica (inherited) from 1936. Lens is knackered though, not multi-coated. Also have a small set of 35mm stuff including a Kodak Retinette which does a brilliant job.

I do have a digital box, a Pentax X5. It does a neat job. Not big enough to use professionally but I do not do any pro-work anymore so I’m not about to chuck 4 or 5K at a pro-standard thing. They are all too complicated for my liking anyway.

Will try to dig out and scan some of the stuff I’ve done with them. Once did a “selfie” with the Zeiss – a most complicated procedure involving tripods, Bowden cables and rangefinders, exposure meters etc.

#172156 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

@tharg i am not that professional but i do like the results of a proper camera compared to a phone, although i suppose nowaays the tech in phones out strips early cameras in some ways.

i dont think a phone could match these.

#172162 Reply
    Rene

Phones nowadays are able to shoot in RAW, don’t underestimate the results you can get with phone cams. Where they struggle, really, is zoom (for obvious reasons) and most (not all) struggle with low light.

While the first of the two pictures is harder to replicate with a phone, the second one.. I think a phone would probably have done a better job actually. Your camera really struggled with the contrast there.

https://gurushots.com/article/15-photos-taken-by-smartphones-that-compete-with-dslr-photos

There’s a few examples of what phone cams can do. We do have two DSLRs at home, plus a few Lumix snappers etc – for the vast majority of our pictures, the phone just does it well enough, and the stuff that didn’t work out 100% you can fix in post due to being RAW.

Where they do struggle as i mentioned is low light situations and stuff that would require a fast shutter.

#172167 Reply
    ajn

Night fishing from a boat,as Rene says  iPhone pic in the dark, choose the setting and hold steady..

Same phone same boat different setting

These camera phones are great, however, Father in law used to do the wet developing had a dark room all the stuff, amazing to see pics come to life the old way..

#172168 Reply
    Rene

Taken with a Oneplus 6 a few years ago in Italy. The Oneplus 6 is known to have a sub-par/mediocre camera.

Of course, a digital camera (including DSLRs) won’t match certain idiosyncrasies of analogue technology (grain, hue etc) unless you put quite a bit of effort in (and even then you also have to get it right), but generally speaking, phone cams very much suffice nowadays.

The only thing DSLRs really offer are proper manual shutter control/aperture control, in terms of image sensor the “lower spec” (D6100s etc) DSLRs aren’t ahead anymore. Full inch sensors certainly are (especially low light), but if you’re walking 30 miles through Italy in scorching heat, i genuinely would choose my phone over all our other cameras again.

#172198 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great, instructive snaps from all. Thanks. I know from Madam’s phone camera that they do a perfectly acceptable job. Getting better all the time too. I just like using wet film and operating the amazingly fine engineering of old film cameras. As said, some of them are nearly 90 years old and still do a perfect job. One, the Zeiss, is a masterpiece of micro-construction – the lens, for example, sits in a 1″ diameter steel ring; this is engine-turned for focus grip; it will take a lens hood which screws on to the outside so they cut a thread into the engine-turned finish; all of it almost invisible to naked eye. They’re full of stuff like that.

#177883 Reply
    ajn

😬

#182473 Reply
    Georgie

I watched this yesterday and thought I would resurrect this Thread and share it.  For no other reason than I thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97JZMrnRnYM

I may need to get one of those potato harvesters.  Or possibly two, in different colours, so we can race them . . .

#182494 Reply
    joss

Nice one @Georgie

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#182498 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great machines, Georgie. Two problems with them, though. We couldn’t afford the APs and they don’t have lever handbrakes. Didn’t notice a blue one either.

#182524 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Driverless car starts to pull away after being stopped by police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZL0i51tRs

#182543 Reply
    ajn

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZYPtJecrwZI?feature=share

Total respect here for this lady…

1..fishing from a kayak, 2.. chin grip no need of net, 3..hand in to unhook 😬,  4.. the fish is massive with teeth, 5.. posing for a pic, 6..love the shorts too and completed the whole process herself.

#182557 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Maybe not that interesting, but i really get pissed off when i see douche canoes park like that. He/she stood there for over an hour, between 10:30 and 11:30 on a tuesday. Carpark was packed when we came back out.

And so Glos Guy doesn’t get upset, here’s another one to balance out the apparent “BMW-ness”.

I find it interesting, how inconsiderate, ignorant some people are. Wish i could report them, somehow.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#182560 Reply
    ajn

I do agree the BM drivers parking is ridiculous, however it’s a well looked after car, wide very wide doors and just look at the spaces of the other parked cars, not much room, I couldn’t get out with the space left and provided..

#182561 Reply
    ajn

Actually looking closer is that tape holding on the mirror, with a loose looking front bumper 😆

#182570 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

What you can’t see is the big scrape on the other side, the fact that the tyres were basically bald, and the fact that it’s got cut springs lol.

That’s someone who simply doesn’t give a shdamn. At all.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#182576 Reply
    ajn
    #182577 Reply
    ajn

Noticed that gas shortage was 2021😬

#182616 Reply
    ajn

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 245 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: