Interesting ‘stuff’

• This topic has 92 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159727 Reply
    joss

One of my favourite pieces of poetry is by WilliamButler Yeats.

This helped me through one of the darkest episodes of Manic depression I had ever suffered.

The White Birds;

I WOULD that we were, my beloved, white birds on the foam of the sea!
    We tire of the flame of the meteor, before it can fade and flee;
    And the flame of the blue star of twilight, hung low on the rim of the sky,
    Has awaked in our hearts, my beloved, a sadness that may not die.
    A weariness comes from those dreamers, dew-dabbled, the lily and rose;
    Ah, dream not of them, my beloved, the flame of the meteor that goes,
    Or the flame of the blue star that lingers hung low in the fall of the dew:
    For I would we were changed to white birds on the wandering foam: I and you!
    I am haunted by numberless islands, and many a Danaan shore,
    Where Time would surely forget us, and Sorrow come near us no more;
    Soon far from the rose and the lily and fret of the flames would we be,
    Were we only white birds, my beloved, buoyed out on the foam of the sea!

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159739 Reply
    Georgie

That’s beautiful, Joss.  To be able to fly from the extremes, from the fire and the ice.

I need to read more W.B.Y.

#159748 Reply
    joss

Glad you like it @georgie

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159792 Reply
    Georgie

Moving on from our two brave Frenchmen heading down in their tin can yesterday, we have three brave Americans in a tin can heading up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1SzgGhMKc

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
    I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

(High Flight – by John Gillespie Magee)

#159805 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Georgie – thanks to you
    we’ve got verse and poems too
    And? A few Haiku…

Rhymes unnecessary but couldn’t resist.

Will try to post some of Madam’s. They are very good (published alongside Ted Hughes back in the 60s)

#159817 Reply
    Georgie

Sooo . . . 

I was laying in bed this morning, idly wondering if there are any road roundabouts in Beijing (turns out that there are 21 of them), and this led on to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, coming up to it’s 50th birthday in 2022.

For anyone who has never had the pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

#159820 Reply
    Georgie

Sorry there was no attending poetry with the last one – I was quickly fitting it in between the washing-machine finishing its final spin cycle, and taking the chicken out of the oven (DH’s favourite – Commiseration Chicken sarnies for ‘Back to work’ Monday lunch), and I just couldn’t think of any Roundabout-inspired verse.  Or even anything about Swindon.  (Slough, yes (Betjemen’s Come, Friendly Bombs, of course), but not Swindon.

But a little searching provided this little gem by Robert Garnham:

https://professorofwhimsy.com/2020/04/24/an-ode-to-swindon/

#159822 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great roundabout post, Georgie. Never been to Swindon. Will now definitely avoid – could get stuck on that roundabout for days! And, talking of roundabouts, the French have a way with them – sticking retired Mirage fighter aircraft on them as decoration. Driving through France, I found it very disconcerting to come across this…

#159825 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

However, back in Verse-world for a moment, I have always enjoyed The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Not going to post the lot of it, that’d be impolite! But one verse describing the mariner’s ship being becalmed sticks in the mind and conj0urs a stunning image…

Day after day, day after day,
    We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
    As idle as a painted ship
    Upon a painted ocean.

#159841 Reply
    joss

Sorry there was no attending poetry with the last one – I was quickly fitting it in between the washing-machine finishing its final spin cycle, and taking the chicken out of the oven (DH’s favourite – Commiseration Chicken sarnies for ‘Back to work’ Monday lunch), and I just couldn’t think of any Roundabout-inspired verse. Or even anything about Swindon. (Slough, yes (Betjemen’s Come, Friendly Bombs, of course), but not Swindon. But a little searching provided this little gem by Robert Garnham: https://professorofwhimsy.com/2020/04/24/an-ode-to-swindon/

Great ode to swindon;s magic round a bout

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159848 Reply
    Georgie

Strange how certain snippets get stuck in the head.  For me it’s a piece from The Wasteland by T.S. Elliot –

A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter

Just those two lines out of a longer passage that finishes with another haunting line –

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow

Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,

You cannot say, or guess, for you know only

A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow at morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

#159863 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Powerful, evocative words., Georgie. I do not know The Wasteland. I should. Must put my ignorance right.  Know what you mean about certain passages sticking in memory though. Donne’s The Apparition, while being a simple, though dark, poem of seduction hangs words in my mind, at least.

When by thy scorn, O murd’ress, I am dead
       And that thou think’st thee free
    From all solicitation from me,Then shall my ghost come to thy bed,
    And thee, feign’d vestal, in worse arms shall see;
    Then thy sick taper will begin to wink,
    And he, whose thou art then, being tir’d before,

Will, if thou stir, or pinch to wake him, think
         Thou call’st for more,
    And in false sleep will from thee shrink;
    And then, poor aspen wretch, neglected thou
    Bath’d in a cold quicksilver sweat wilt lie
          A verier ghost than I.
    What I will say, I will not tell thee now,
    Lest that preserve thee; and since my love is spent,
    I’had rather thou shouldst painfully repent,
    Than by my threat’nings rest still innocent.

Well, I was just going to quote the “aspen wretch” bit. But, dammit, the whole poem’s not over long and, for me anyway, one of the best bits of English verse ever (along with Marvell’s To His Coy Mistress

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Tharg. Reason: Edditted fur rottin spelinge
    #159916 Reply
    Georgie

Bit of a ‘funny bloke’, that Donne, to say the least.  Died a century too soon for the Hellfire Club, unluckily for him.  I do know he got read a lot at Oxford, and I suspect messrs Cameron, Osborne and Johnson are all ‘well versed’ in his works. 😀

The strange thing is, this thread wasn’t intended to be about the poetry at all.  I just stuck a few suitable lines in to ‘set the mood’ for what I thought would be the actual ‘Interesting stuff’ – e.g. High Flight for the Apollo 11 Moon Landing (less than 1 minute of fuel left by touchdown – that takes ‘range anxiety’ to a new level!), Whales Weep Not for The Deep Sea/Piccard and Walsh in the Trieste.  

Turns out we’re all a bunch of closet aesthetes!

#159949 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Closet aesthete? Oh, I think not, my dear. I asked Swinburne and he thought we could be Escritoire Aesthetes. Oscar, however, feels if we had to conceal ourselves it should be behind a Chiffionier.

#160552 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Really don’t think this thread should die, so…

Anyone seen film Night of the Lepus aka Rabbit? Shockingly bad and unintentionally hilarious sci-fi movie. It had actors Deforrest Kelly (Doc from original Star Trek) and Janet Leigh in it. Special FX so bad; they failed to make the giant killer rabbits anything other than cuddly. Hardly ever screened these days and impossible to find a DVD, at least, to find one at a reasonable price.

#160559 Reply
    Georgie

Yes oh yes!  Night of the lepus – an absolute gem.  Some films are so bad that it actually makes them ‘good’.

“Special FX so bad; they failed to make the giant killer rabbits anything other than cuddly.”  You’re talking the a woman who happily watches films in which a man in a buck-toothed turtle costume (Gamera) grapples hand to hand with a man dressed as a giant bat, or with a rubber squid.  Or Godzilla fighting a monster (Ebirah) that’s aggression is appeased by giving it pieces of yellow fruit.  It makes the original King Kong (severe mange problem) look like a Class act.

King Ghidorah was always a kick-arse monster, though.

#160560 Reply
    ajn

Georgie seems interesting to me whatever is written/posted here imo..

#160568 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

There is one timeless, staggeringly stupid line in …Lepus. The Highway Patrol, having encountered the killer giant bunnies, are clearing the area, including a drive-in movie site. The squad cars roll into the place, cop leaps out and, with megaphone, says, “Attention. A horde of giant man-eating rabbits is heading this way. Please leave in an orderly fashion.” And they do! Very nearly died from laughter.

#160668 Reply
    Georgie

One of my favourite Godzilla throw-away lines is when a group of exhausted Japanese teens are fleeing through a cave system to escape the destruction of a newly arrived ‘monster’ and the leader points down into the dark cavern and says “Look down there – it’s Godzilla.  But we don’t have time for that now” and then they just keep calmly walking.

Another gem (Invasion of Astro-monsters) is when the Scientists discover that some of the ‘monsters’ travel to Planet X – a mysterious planet beyond Pluto.

“Why didn’t we know this before?”

“Planet X is very dark.”

#160752 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great lines, Georgie. Am very jealous at your finding all these wonderfully daft movies. One of the best bits of daft dialogue was featured by Dara O’Brien in one of his gigs: “The neutrinos are mutating“.  As Dara pointed out, neutrinos are perhaps the smallest, probably mass-less, sub-sub atomic particles which might not even BE particles at all. They barely even exist, there is nothing of them to mutate about.

#160779 Reply
    Georgie

Ah, but he can only be referring to the behaviour of neutrinos in the Standard Model.  What about the fabled fourth neutrino (and equivalent fourth antimatter neutrino) that may, or may not, exist?  That/They could/could not be up to all sorts of roguery and rascality (though not breeding, of course, their being/not being sterile).  FermiLab need to pull their finger out and get on with LBNF so we can/cannot discovering it/them – or not.

#160780 Reply
    Georgie

Here’s one for ajn –

Fish with ‘human teeth’ caught in North Carolina:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58105044

But then, the Southern State have always been a bit . . . strange . . .

#159964 Reply
    Georgie

Just been looking at that picture of the Mirage fighter on the roundabout in France, and it reminded me of Spitfire Roundabout just to the east of Winchester:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Spitfire_Bridge

No memorial aircraft there, alas, but things are looking a bit brighter just down the road in Southampton, where plans are afoot for the construction of a proper memorial to the Spitfire on the seafront in Mayflower Park:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-57925607

To do both the ‘plane and the poet justice, I shall now include High Flight in its entirety as John Gillespie Magee was a Spitfire pilot, killed in action, in his Spitfire, in 1941:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
    I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
    I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

#160785 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh wow! Too much. Too soon. Need to wake up before dealing with dangerously sub-sub-atomic physics/astroparticles (or not); worrying fish and great pomes involving flight; pretty aeroplanes.

Answers when I have shaken off the bonds of sleep…

#160798 Reply
    Georgie

Welcome to . . . The Twilight Zone . . . .

The post I made back on the ? of ??? that included High Flight in its entirety has just re-posted itself with today’s date.

Absolutely nothing to do with me, guv’ner!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: