Interesting ‘stuff’

• This topic has 92 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160818 Reply
    joss

Welcome to . . . The Twilight Zone . . . . The post I made back on the ? of ??? that included High Flight in its entirety has just re-posted itself with today’s date. Absolutely nothing to do with me, guv’ner!

Maybe it got stuck in the back office here @wmcforums we always aim to deliver your posts no matter how long it takes. LOL

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160819 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

When it comes to neutrinos and all the other chaotic, ridiculous things that might, or might not be, I’m with Douglas Adams: I’ve always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with this universe. Or, as a sign on the wall of the New Scientist office used to ask: Do Quantum Ducks go Quark?

#160820 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Flying roundabouts? Well, here one somewhere in Wiltshire in honour of Frank Whittle:

And another from our friends across the channel, displaying a Fouga trainer formerly with their version of the Red Arrows

#160830 Reply
    Georgie

When I was a teenager I went to an Open Day at Rutherford Lab and got a T-shirt with the legend Quarks to Quasars – which pretty much covered what their research covered.  Even without understanding what it meant at the time it was still my favourite T-shirt.  How could I not end up working there?

http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/ca/pdfs/quarks_to_quasars.pdf

For a while the dish on page 12 was the view from my office window. 🙂

#160870 Reply
    Georgie

I love watching Destin’s series ‘Smarter Every Day’ and have just finished watching this and thought others might also find it interesting.

How to Surface a Submarine:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6107grRI4m0o2-emgoDnAA

#160877 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

He’s certainly got some interesting/intriguing subjects on there. Will try to watch a few. The “physics of helicopter flight” will probably get me first. I mean, I roughly understand that the wing goes round and changes angle of attack all the time using levers, cams and millions of other bits. Do not understand how something with so many moving parts doesn’t shake itself to bits just starting up.

#160909 Reply
    joss

I have been a YT subscriber of Destin’s channel for a good while now Georgie. Excellent stuff.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160948 Reply
    Georgie

I know there are now lots of videos like the on YouTube, but I thought this one was a cut above.  A diverting 20 minutes –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P128HPs7KAA

#160960 Reply
    ajn

Great links there Georgie, half way through the photo one whilst waiting for my dinner, will be checking those links  out when sleepless nights decide  to bother me.. Great thread this …

#160965 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great link, Georgie. Thanks for that!

#160990 Reply
    Georgie

Not doing much today other than surfing – I had a rough night so I’m back on the zonko pills. 🙂

Ice Age lion cubs found in Siberia:

https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/08/06/stunning-ice-age-lion-cub-found-in-siberia-russia-is-28-000-years-old-scientists-say

Here’s a Brucie Bonus topical bit of Shakespeare . . .

Devouring Time blunt thou the lion’s paws,
    And make the earth devour her own sweet brood,
    Pluck the keen teeth from the fierce tiger’s jaws,
    And burn the long-lived phoenix, in her blood,
    Make glad and sorry seasons as thou fleet’st,
    And do whate’er thou wilt swift-footed Time
    To the wide world and all her fading sweets.
    But I forbid thee one most heinous crime:
    O carve not with thy hours my love’s fair brow,
    Nor draw no lines there with thine antique pen,

#160991 Reply
    Georgie

(missed a bit!)

Him in thy course untainted do allow,
    For beauty’s pattern to succeeding men.
    Yet do thy worst old Time: despite thy wrong,
    My love shall in my verse ever live young.

#161046 Reply
    ajn

Just finished watching the 92 photos 🙂

#161135 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Back to your bit about the Rutherford lab, Georgie. Being interested in nuclear power, and having written on the subject, there are many things I’d love to ask. But you’d probably have to kill me if you answered. However, think this one’s safe: Do you think controlled fusion as an energy source will ever make it?

#161143 Reply
    Georgie

I am sooo out of the loop that I imagine you can answer that question better than I can now.  I think the AEA are just relieved the UK will still be a part of ITER and Horizon 2020/Horizon Europe – something that was in serious danger of not happening thanks to ‘the gift that keeps on giving – to other countries’.

#161152 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Fairly well out of loop meself. Used to follow it avidly but every project was built up to be “just about to work”, then flopped. Got too disillusioned to keep looking. Seems that, whatever you do with fusion, you are still working with a remarkably small amount of stuff which can make a remarkably big bang with no warning. Efforts to avoid big bang seem to involve more energy than you’ll get out of it. Live in hope, though.

#161158 Reply
    Georgie

‘Fusion energy’ was “twenty years away” twenty years ago and it’s still “twenty years away” now.

Fun though.  Have you seen the Stellarator?  It’s a cracker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlGzt9ur1bY

#161197 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Fascinating. The Stellarator seems so chaotic in nature, and thus in keeping with the universe in general, that it might just work. The hydrogen-boron idea? Hmmm. Too simple to come to anything? Dunno. You could say that about the Wright Bros and the aerodynamics of a wing and we know where that got us!

#161225 Reply
    Georgie

Here’s an interesting and unusual, very relaxing and very long video to quite simply ‘de-stress’ to:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqdcnMhnQ4

Haiku #20 – ‘Cake? Thanks!’

Icing gone, cake left.
    “Almost forgot my diet!”
    Some kids don’t grow up….

David L. Hatton, 12/8/2019

#161249 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great vid. Cakes abound.
    Sugar all around but Woe
    is me! Can’t eat it.

#161253 Reply
    Georgie

I think South Korea must have a terrible problem with diabetes because their cakes and confectioneries are very, very tempting.  And you haven’t even seen the Tornado Cube Bread and (Death By) Croissants yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6k10pINvqc

#161268 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

OOOoooooh!!!! 🥐🥐🥐🥐🥐NumNumNumNummmmmmm 😋

(If you find one on chocolate cakes, pleeeeese, don’t show me.)

#161269 Reply
    joss

Do you like to watch Science fiction? Short films? Well let me introduce you to the world of DUST.

https://www.youtube.com/c/watchdust/videos

DUST presents thought-provoking science fiction content, exploring the future of humanity through the lens of science and technology. Welcome to our YouTube channel. Here we offer DUST originals, exclusives, short-films, series and our immersive audio experience. DUST is also available AppleTV, SamsungTV+, Roku, AndroidTV, Stirr, NBCUniversal, Xumo, VRV, Xfinity and SlingTV: on our OTT platforms, we offer cutting-edge and classic feature film, series as well as all titles available here. Thank you for watching. #TheFutureAwaits

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#161297 Reply
    ajn

Cube bread mmmmmmm

#161330 Reply
    Georgie

That certainly looks the cut of my jib, Joss!  I’m a bit crook at the moment and need some new stuff to watch.  Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: