Interesting ‘stuff’

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159722 Reply
    Georgie

I thought it might be a good idea if I bit the bullet and just started a Thread dedicated to (what I hope is) general ‘Interesting Stuff’ that doesn’t fit under other existing Threads, rather than keep hijacking the existing ones (as I am want to do at an appalling rate.  Sorry).

Fulfilling an earlier promise, here is a quick bit of poetry first:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
    the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

(‘Whales Weep Not’ by D. H. Lawrence)

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/?fbclid=IwAR1RK4skwk7tIXw9XocFTkOWblwAYftXvy2YbXVfngsgF8H-qPqiGzRXOwM

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #182675 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Peregrine webcam would be an intriguing if sometime gruesome watch. A friend had a peregrine “lunch spot” just outside his window at high-rise office in Croydon. Pigeons were enjoyed regularly by the raptors on the ledge – red in beak and claw!

Get regular sightings of peregrines here (Sussex coast). Lazy circling looking for lunch followed by spectacular 200mph-plus stoop to grab it. Acceleration and speed has to be seen to be believed.

#182683 Reply
    ajn

Yes I’ll be keeping up with the peregrine web cams around the UK Tharg,

also 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🤦🏻‍♂️😬😳😕😖

#182692 Reply
    ajn

Green bright meteor/fireball spotted last night, I saw it through the window, Mrs aj saw it whilst out in the garden with the dog…

This is my 2nd sighting for me, 1st for Mrs ajn…

#182693 Reply
    ajn

This type of thing

#182694 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Green bright meteor/fireball spotted last night

Could be Boris and Rishi making a quick getaway:-) Interesting though @ajn and must admit would love to see one.

Has anyone seen this or indeed taken part?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/when-is-the-big-power-off-britons-urged-to-go-dark-in-protest-against-soaring-energy-bills/ar-AAW9Jvq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0b946de7b33640c8af43b45cef5fb094

Off to hospital now for a scan:-(

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by kezo.
    #182697 Reply
    Georgie

Cor, ajn!  Lucky you!

I don’t have much luck with meteors, even during meteor showers.  Either the sky is clear and the meteors are a ‘no show’ or it’s “the most spectacular meteor event in 30 years!” and I get heavy cloud and rain. 🙂

#182705 Reply
    ajn

@kezo & @Georgie guess I just goes to show how much time I spend staring into space😆,

here is my immediate text after seeing it, also another classic text see above from Mrs aj…

#182707 Reply
    ajn

Noticed the 10 at 10 minutes thing after the event last time kezo, like the next day even, however our lights are off mostly anyway, light sensitive left eye…

Hope all is well with scan process too 🙂

#183282 Reply
    ajn

Having a stroll about the garden found theses..

Anyone know what they are called, looks like a weed, we quite like them, however also spotted it growing on the  lawnnot an issue, just out of interest would like to know, any ideas 🤔

#183284 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Having a stroll about the garden found theses.. Anyone know what they are called, looks like a weed, we quite like them, however also spotted it growing on the lawnnot an issue, just out of interest would like to know, any ideas 🤔

Looks like white clover but I’m no green fingers by along shot @ajn

Obviously your weeds didn’t need moderation LOL.

#183287 Reply
    ajn

we first though that kezo, but these things are growing in the flower beds, sort of stood up like a garden plant with pointed long thin leaves, rather than rounded, spreading onto the grass it seems..

must admit I haven’t a clue tbh, I’ll open packs of seeds and just scatter..

Never seen these just want to make sure no harm to the dog, he’s always walking through and stepping on everything out there 😆.

#183290 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Having a stroll about the garden found theses.. Anyone know what they are called, looks like a weed, we quite like them, however also spotted it growing on the lawnnot an issue, just out of interest would like to know, any ideas 🤔

Chickweed ?

#183298 Reply
    ajn

Yes think you solved it kezo, typed in checked images, looks just like those little flowers…

Great stuff & Thanks, I’ll keep some of it as we liked it just make sure it’s controlled now..

#183301 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Yes think you solved it kezo, typed in checked images, looks just like those little flowers… Great stuff & Thanks, I’ll keep some of it as we liked it just make sure it’s controlled now..

google solved it lol.

I also found this:

“Chickweed contains saponins, which can lead to upset stomachs in some dogs. Chickweed can be taken in moderation to circumvent the large quantities commonly associated with more noteworthy stomach issues. Overuse of chickweed can also have a laxative effect in dogs.”

“For a long time, chickweed was considered a useless weed, but recently its culinary possibilities have been discovered and is now even used in Michelin star restaurants. Chickweed can be used as a replacement for herbs in herb butter or pesto. Or alternatively, it makes a delicious salad or even a green chickweed smoothie. It is mostly eaten raw but also is nice steamed as a substitute for spinach. This green plant is also extremely healthy as it is packed with essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, potassium, phosphorus, copper, and silicic acid. On top of that, chickweed is very rich in Vitamin C with just 50g of chickweed covering a person’s entire daily requirement. Chickweed also contains the ingredient aucubin, which is said to have a positive effect on the immune system and slows down the ageing process. The herb is well known in naturopathy for its health-promoting effects and is used to treat a variety of illnesses such as rheumatism, respiratory infections and bladder diseases. Chickweed tea is a particularly popular home remedy. For this, brew one tablespoon of dried chickweed with 250ml of boiling water and let it sit for five to eight minutes.”

https://plantura.garden/uk/herbs/chickweed/chickweed-overview

#183316 Reply
    ajn

Yeah guess that just about wraps up that question kezo, how very interesting, will have to keep it under control, also watch our dog don’t start eating it..

Thanks again 👍 🙂

#183738 Reply
    ajn

Oh yesss…

#183740 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I could eat a whole bole of trifle in one go @ajn 🙂

#183741 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Bowl 🙂

#183748 Reply
    ajn

It’s been a while kezo, 5 decades even, however on spotting this, it caused a 👀😳 moment…

Mrs aj only like the raspberry flavour 😧🤨..

I grew up on strawberry flavour😆..

Those finger biscuits don’t look as big as I remember, still nice dry though

#183749 Reply
    ajn

🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 yeah right

#183756 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

As I said @ajn in my opinion serves one, two at a push if you like sharing but I don’t 🙂

My favourite is strawberry with gulp of sherry added for good measure.

#184522 Reply
    ajn

Unfortunately over a couple of mornings the other week, a heron was spotted at the pond..

Great birds, however the bloody thing ate all the fish from my pond, however it is breeding season for them..

The interesting thing was the price of the fish to restock, uurrrmm NO Thanks 🤨..

Decided to see if anyone selling any privately, online sale site type thing..

👍👍😁👍😁😁👍🕺🏻💃🏻🐠🐠😀😀

#184524 Reply
    ajn

Not sure how this post is going to pan out, needs moderating however seems there are atleast 5 kio carp two large,and loads of gold fish from 8” down to 3”, so it’s going to cost me a nice donation to the food bank charity as agreed with the previous owner 👍😁

#184532 Reply
    ajn

Cheers Mods post worked out fine 👍

#184534 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Better watch the heron does not come back @ajn or you will be paying more than a good donation to a food bank next time 🙂

Very generous of the owner and it helps your local food bank, which I’m sure will be more than grateful.

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 245 total)
Reply To: Interesting ‘stuff’
Your information: