The book club

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138834 Reply
    Brydo

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are.

I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #146204 Reply
    Georgie

Just started B&M The Memory of Blood – so far, so peculiar. 🙂

I had a good Google of the Kings Cross redevelopment site while I was reading ‘On the Loose’.  They’re still busily building away back there.  Some of the original buildings in and around Coal Drops Yard and Stable Street seem to have been saved and converted into modern shops and eateries, and the four Gas Holders (or ‘gasometers’, as we inaccurately called them as kids) are now 3 circular apartment blocks built withing the original superstructure, and a circular park.  3 bedroom apartments seem to be going for between £2.5 and £7.5 million, which seems bizarre to me, because many of the views are obscured by ruddy great cast iron columns.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/73281211#/

Still, each to their own, I suppose . . .

😀

#146232 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Blimey! One’s gob is well and truly smacked. Lovely idea to build inside the gas holder frame. Price is just bonkers.

#146581 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Now, Miz G, I know you said you will not be stacking up more books what with studying guitar et al. However, I have just started War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. Drawn to it because it features Faerie in the modern world. A female rock guitarist is recruited, against her will, by the powers of Faerie and the Glamour to aid them in nefarious purposes. Loads of supernatural types involved – a phouka, a nasty water goddess and more; I am expecting a good deal of rock and roll to come later. It won awards, I am told. But am prepared to overlook this. It is bright, original, engaging and entertaining.

Wasn’t going to mention it but… well…  Faerie, Glamour and female rock chick? Sorree…

#146589 Reply
    Georgie

This rock chick is currently out of commission, alas.  There was I, so worried that my back wouldn’t be up to a whole 20 minutes a day learning and practising (10 in the morning, 10 in the afternoon), and now here I am with a strained neck, left shoulder, left elbow and a touch of tendinitis in the left wrist.  No more strumming until Tuesday at the earliest.  Other than a few ‘warning shots across the bows’, my back’s been fine.  Ya couldn’t make it up!

The wait for my new green guitar grows ever longer, due to manufacturing delays.  The people of Asia are suffering terribly from the pandemic.  The original delivery day was today, but the expected delivery date has gone from early May to late May to mid-June.

I’m certainly not bitching (people are dying, for flip’s sake), just letting you know what’s going on.

So, plenty of time for reading, as it happens.  Two thirds of the way through Memory of Blood: I hadn’t realised there were so many characters in the ‘Punch and Judy’ pantheon – Scaramouche is a particularly interesting ‘stock’ literary character . . .

#146590 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh, rock chick – my sincere sympathies. As you say, couldn’t make it up! Hope things improve soon. Take it easy…

#146597 Reply
    Georgie

C’est lavvy.

😀

#146838 Reply
    Georgie

Memory of Blood finished.  To be honest is wasn’t one of the best – the overall idea was very good but I thought the ending was weak.  Never mind, there are plenty more to look forward too.

Today I begin the Bookman Histories.

#146893 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Think I must agree with you on that. A bit muddled; too many strands bashing into one another. Oh well, hope you find the remaining ones better. Similarly, hope you find the Bookman series to your taste. I am still enchanted into War for the Oaks. Think maybe Ms Bull smeared some Glamour into the words…

#146899 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And, talking of rock ‘n’ rollin’, which we sort of were, I have to say go listen to Long John Baldry’s Right to Sing the Blues album. It’s on the free bit of Spotify and is just possibly the best blues album ever. Maybe blues ain’t your thing but it is well worth a listen, just to hear a great performer and his mates having a real good time. 🎸

#146968 Reply
    Georgie

Long John Baldry – the voice of Doctor Robotnik.  I played a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog ‘back in the day’ . . .

Otherwise I only really remember his Don’t Try to Lay No Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll, firstly because I was only 5 and thought it was a great title for a song, but also because I was very taken with the three minute chatty preamble.

I’m not really into ‘Blues’ as such, but there are certain songs I love.  Do you know Aretha by Rumer?  I bought the album just for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERzNIzrEnLg

#146970 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Shall listen to the number when I can do so properly – plugging in ear-bud thingeys etc. Hear what you say about the blues; not everyone’s cup of Earl Grey. But is is/was instrumental in the formation of rock, pop, soul – virtually all modern stuff. I find it fun to hear the origins of so much material. Moreover, as a axe-lady in waiting, I think you might find some of the guitar work on the Baldry album really interesting.

#147012 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Didn’t know of Rumer at all. She’s got a really good, melodic voice and style. Reminds me in some ways of Dusty and/or Barbara Dickson. Bet she chooses really good songs, too. By that I mean ones with tunes and melody. Shall go listen to album. Brill! Thanks for that…🎶 🎧

#147137 Reply
    Georgie

” as a axe-lady in waiting”

Oh, yes.  Here I am with my Rock and Roll hair, wearing my black jeans and black T-shirt, holding my black guitar and thrashing away “A . . . D . . . A . . . D . . . A – A – (oh for goodness sake) A!!! . . . D . . . D – D- (well that’s not even the right string!) . . . D!!! (that’s better) . . . A . . . D . . .

aka ‘All the gear – No idea!’

“Bet she chooses really good songs, too.”

Rumer is also a song-writer, and wrote Aretha along with many, if not all (I don’t remember) the other songs she sings.  I saw her on Jules Holland’s Hootananny and just thought “I need that song.”

#147244 Reply
    Karenj

Cj Samson the shardlake series is excellent.  Historic drama (which I normally don’t like) detective stories. You really buy into the lead character who is, by the way, disabled.

#147252 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks for that, Sharon. I really enjoy Cadfael and Falco, so I’ll take look at Shardlake. Cheers…

Georgie – have you got another chord yet? 🎶

#147283 Reply
    Georgie

Not yet, but I do think I’ll be taking a shot at ‘E major’ soon.  Changing strumming patterns comes in the nest phase, to.  At the moment I’m strictly “double four time”.

#147284 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Aah! You would be “blowin’ dixie” then…

#147286 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Just finished War for the Oaks. Briefly, bloody brilliant. Have not enjoyed a book so much for ages (Winter’s Tale).  Delightfully original and she has not turned it into a tedious, repetitive, great mega-series. Gone off to do rock band things, I think.

#147331 Reply
    Georgie

I’ll definitely put War for the Oaks on my list, Tharg.  When I was very young I was warned to keep away from Pookas (‘stray’ cats, dogs or ponies) by my Gran because they really only want to lead little children away to be lost in woods or drowned in rivers.  The animal equivalent of ‘Don’t go with strangers’.

#147338 Reply
    Georgie

I know what this was reminding me of – The Trees by Rush: Possibly Canada’s equivalent of La Marseillaise.

😀

#147352 Reply
    POPS

I’m really enjoying the ‘Georgie – Tharg’ rock discussion. As an ageing rock fan it’s made me think back to so many upbeat occasions.

Three of my sons are good guitarists, so I still get my rock fix from time to time.

Keep the chat going you two!

#147353 Reply
    POPS

To keep the book theme going I’m a fan of the late David Gemmell. His books are in the ‘heroic fantasy” genre and are not works of literary genius, but he does tell a good page turning story. I have every book he ever wrote and I reread them on a regular basis. It’s escapism on a fairly basic level but it still continues to entertain me.

#147401 Reply
    Georgie

Hi, POPS!

Ageing rock fan?  We’re never too old to rock and roll, my friends. 😀

I’ve heard of Gemmell but don’t have any of his works, alas, though I suspect this will change – The Drenai series seems a good place to start, and Gemmell’s Wiki page handily provides the chronological order of the events in the books as well as their order of publication.

In a similar-ish vein, I fully recommend the Riftwar series by Raymond E. Feist – an Earth-like world where a country bearing a strong resemblance to 8th century Britain but with Elves, Magicians and the occasional dragon, is invaded via a rift in space-time by soldiers from another world that bears a strong resemblance to early 16th century Japan, but with Priest-Mages.  After the first 3 novels he co-writes with Janny Wurst a second trilogy based on the world of the Invaders telling the story from the perspective of the invaders, and then another six novels telling the stories of the second generation.  It’s very good.

#147411 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Trying to reply to this but a thing calling itself wordforce blocks me

#147412 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

OK, try again…

Georgie, or should I say Sultana of Swing, you have me a bit confused. Are you saying that Sultans of Swing reminds you of the Rush number? Or did I miss something?

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 142 total)
Reply To: The book club
Your information: