Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008

• This topic has 57 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Tharg.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #135619 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Having been trawling around the bowels of my computer system, I came across some Motability Quarterly Price Guides from years past (when Motability did still publish quarterly price guides).

With the kind permission of WMC and many thanks to WMC for hosting them, here are a selection of the Quarterly Price Guides from 2007/2008 era. Showing the manufacturers and a selection of the vehicles that were available at these times, together with the respective advance payments.

Again, with thanks to WMC for his kind assistance, I will post some of the price guides from other years over time.

I hope they will provide some interest to forum members and promote some interesting and respectful debate, as well as giving a sense of nostalgia from Motability times past!

Dave

Q3 2007:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2007-Q3-CPG.pdf

Q3 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q3-CPG.pdf

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137393 Reply
    Russ

I had an Astra Sport Hatch SRI back then.

Lovely motor just not very practical.

#137396 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Quite so, Glos Guy. If one were of the conspiracy-theory bent, then one might think that the Government is consciously reducing Motability car numbers as part of the plan to do away with Motability altogether. The disgraceful “transition” to PIP has already slashed the numbers allowed on the scheme. Won’t take much more to destroy it altogether. But, surely, not! If you believe that of Government then you might also believe that it wants to privatise the NHS and, of course, there’s no chance of that. I know, let’s ask the Daily Flail, shall we?

😂 I’m not the conspiracy theory type Tharg and really don’t think that we can pin this one on the government! There is no plausible explanation that I can think of other than that offered by the OP and others that it is a conscious decision to severely limit the choice, possibly to avoid adverse PR. As I said previously, Motability failed abysmally when that Daily Mail article appeared. If they had explained that even a customer with a zero AP car is paying £10k in sacrificed benefits, and those with the cars with £10k AP’s were actually paying £20k for the privilege, it would have completely trashed the ‘free luxury cars for the disabled at the tax payers expense’ story. Sadly they didn’t and we are now where we are. Maybe the Mail should look at why two out of every three people who are eligible to join the Motability scheme chose not to, but that wouldn’t suit their agenda!

#137409 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My conspiracy theory comments were not meant to be taken too seriously, GG. So you are probably in the right there. No malice, hopefully, in the restrictions on the scheme. Just criminal incompetence. But do not under any circumstances underestimate the Flail. As a former journo with the national dailies, please believe me that any conspiracy theory you can think up about that publication is probably way short of reality!

#137805 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Interesting and heartbreaking in equal measure!

To keep Glos Guy interested, but hopefully not too heartbroken, a couple more price guides from the era, this time Q4 2008 and Q1 2009:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q4-CPG.pdf

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2009-Q1-CPG.pdf

#137811 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Still heartbroken BigDave 😂 Volvo XC90 D5 for £3,999 AP 😭

#137814 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup!  Heartbreaking in the extreme. Tears to eyes, Big Dave. The 08 list includes an Alfa Spider 2.2L drop top and the Audi A3 Cabrio, admittedly at steep APs. But the equally evil, immoral and devil-bred Mazda MX5 two-seat ragtop? On list and NIL advance payment. This latter being there, in Motability’s words, “Because not all disabled people use a wheelchair”. So now we all DO need a wheelchair?

I know I will be criticised and accused of being a thoughtless, boy-racer selfishly endangering the welfare of other disabled drivers but I have to say this: These are nice cars. I like them. It would please me to see something like them on the scheme.

#137819 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Yup! Heartbreaking in the extreme. Tears to eyes, Big Dave. The 08 list includes an Alfa Spider 2.2L drop top and the Audi A3 Cabrio, admittedly at steep APs. But the equally evil, immoral and devil-bred Mazda MX5 two-seat ragtop? On list and NIL advance payment. This latter being there, in Motability’s words, “Because not all disabled people use a wheelchair”. So now we all DO need a wheelchair? I know I will be criticised and accused of being a thoughtless, boy-racer selfishly endangering the welfare of other disabled drivers but I have to say this: These are nice cars. I like them. It would please me to see something like them on the scheme.

Agree totally Tharg.

Like many, I don’t ‘require’ the use of a wheelchair. The Mazda MX-5 RF (electric folding steel roof) automatic was on the scheme about a year or so ago – and I had my heart set on one. I clearly remember Motability’s “Because not all disabled people use a wheelchair” tagline. It was removed about a year or so ago & has never returned. I was gutted about that. There is only me and the missus at home & we never have a need to carry passengers or large loads, so the MX-5 RF would have been ideal. The small boot was ideal for carrying my walking stick and the weekly food shop!

Alas, it does indeed seem that all disabled people DO require a wheelchair – as you say – or at least a huge, monstrous SUV thingy when quite clearly – some of us don’t!

#137821 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Solent60 – I agree with you, other than your final comment. If only we could get ‘huge, monstrous SUV’s’ on the scheme. With a few budget brand exceptions, we are only allowed the baby ones!

#137849 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, all. Glad it’s not just me, then. I’m totally with Mr Solent. MX5 is cheaper, slower, less powerful, cheaper to insure and service and maintain than many “acceptable” cars on scheme. Only reason not included, as far as I can see, is that the Daily Mail says so. If you can actually enjoy driving a Motability car then that is a Bad Thing and immoral and must be banned. Regardless of whether it does the job cheaply and efficiently. It’s like medicines that cure a condition but also make you feel good. Ban them!

Also agree with Glos Guy. I only have to use a wheelchair occasionally. It would fit in Mini with seats folded. Anyone needing to swing in a big motorised number can be buggered if you can’t fit a decent powered hoist, with proper opening doors/tailgate and load area. Only realised this recently watching the procedure involved in getting such a chair into a Skoda Yeti. Then there’s the need to secure it safely inside the vehicle. Had thought that the Scheme offered some cars that met these needs. But the more I think about it, the more I realise Motability ought to look at the issue and sort something out.

#137853 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

There is no other reason that Motability removed the MX-5 RF that I can see – other than pressure from the media to stop us poor disabled customers driving around in a car that was both fun and quite sporty.

Any survey that you care to read on the web will tell you that the MX-5 is pretty much the most reliable car on British roads. And when you look on Auto Trader or indeed eBay, you’ll see that the MX-5 holds its second-hand value incredibly well – a factor that Motability supposedly fathoms into their number crunching.

It’s a shame that they have bowed to pressure from the British media… and one newspaper in particular.

#137907 Reply
    psuader

“It’s a shame that they have bowed to pressure from the British media… and one newspaper in particular.”

I would say its more than a shame- its a scandal.

#137947 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

“Bowing to pressure from media”, particularly that one malicious bit of media is par for the course right now. Right up to government/PM. The paper in question is seen as controlling the feelings and preferences of Middle England. The same Middle England which spends a lot of money and whose votes get you elected. Therefore, if the Flail sez, then you do as it sez, whether you are Motability or a Prime Minister.

#137950 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The thing is though that whilst it was shameful that Motability rolled over as a result of the Daily Mail article, rather than stand up for disabled drivers and correct the ‘free luxury cars’ myth, it was a very long time ago and in the many years since they could have gradually built the scheme back up again. Instead, the erosion in the scheme has continued relentlessly from over 4,000 cars to now just 1,600. In these overly PC times that we now live in, even the Daily Mail might think twice about bashing disabled people, so IMO a major overhaul, including abolishing or substantially increasing some of the silly ‘caps’ and restrictions is long overdue. It’s not without coincidence that a large number of customers seem to extend their lease beyond 3 years given that many of the cars that we drive now  have dropped off the scheme. Having said that, keeping a car for 5 years means giving Motability £16,250 in PIP payments, on top of the AP, rather than the £9,750 plus AP that you pay them for a 3 year lease, so maybe it’s a nice earner for them!

#137953 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Glos Guy – I agree, there is every reason for Motability to start rebuilding the amount of choice on the scheme. At the very least, let’s have some of the new crop of EVs. ID3 anyone? Sadly, I do not think they will do it. I believe it is a government policy to dismantle the scheme altogether so that those of us who scrape a PIP award will have to use private leasing firms. Now,  could those private concerns have any influence with government? No, surely not. No brown-paper envelopes involved at all!

The newspaper which supports bashing us sponging cripp’s by dismantling the scheme also supports the privatisation of the NHS. Watch this space, everybody… Some REALLY BIG brown-paper envelopes changing hands soon

#138878 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Just to keep the thread going, a couple more Motability quarterly price guides from 2009 – Q2 and Q3.  Rather like at the end of the Bullseye programme, ‘here is what you could have had’!

Q2 2009:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2009-Q2-CPG.pdf

Q3 2009:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2009-Q3-CPG.pdf

Incidentally, I have just about exhausted my ‘stash’ of pre 2011 price guides now in this and other threads.  If anyone else has got any price guides from any times past , please post them.

Again, with thanks to WMC for hosting them all.

#138882 Reply
    JS

thank you @bigdave makes for some interesting reading

#138898 Reply
    James

Wow xc90, I’ve heard of the xc60 on the scheme!

No wonder the daily mail had a go

#138901 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Wow xc90, I’ve heard of the xc60 on the scheme! No wonder the daily mail had a go

You sound as though you are supporting them James. Why an issue with the XC90. It’s not as if it’s free!

#138906 Reply
    James

Nothings free!  But it doesn’t look good to others who don’t understand the scheme.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Did you have one?</p>

#138908 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I went to look at the xc90 when it was on the Scheme, the rear 2 seats were very small and the pushchair would not fit in the boot, it was also an ageing vehicle at the time. The Galaxy we ended up with was bigger, newer and fell apart within two years!

#138910 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Still 4,000 cars. Audi A6, Range Rover Sport, Land Rover Discovery, Volvo V70, Volvo XC90 😭

#138911 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Nothings free! But it doesn’t look good to others who don’t understand the scheme. <p style=”text-align: left;”>Did you have one?</p>

And, of course, that’s where Motability failed us. They should have explained that even a zero AP car costs almost £10k in sacrificed benefits (today’s prices) and those with an AP of say £10k were costing the disabled driver £20k. Perception and reality were very different but perception won, at the expense of the people who Motability are supposed to champion. Very sad.

#138912 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I went to look at the xc90 when it was on the Scheme, the rear 2 seats were very small and the pushchair would not fit in the boot, it was also an ageing vehicle at the time. The Galaxy we ended up with was bigger, newer and fell apart within two years!

😂 The XC90 on the other hand would still be going strong!

#138915 Reply
    James

👍

#138916 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

That 5 cylinder 2.5 litre tractor engine will go on forever!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008
Your information: