Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008

• Creator
    Topic
  • #135619 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Having been trawling around the bowels of my computer system, I came across some Motability Quarterly Price Guides from years past (when Motability did still publish quarterly price guides).

With the kind permission of WMC and many thanks to WMC for hosting them, here are a selection of the Quarterly Price Guides from 2007/2008 era. Showing the manufacturers and a selection of the vehicles that were available at these times, together with the respective advance payments.

Again, with thanks to WMC for his kind assistance, I will post some of the price guides from other years over time.

I hope they will provide some interest to forum members and promote some interesting and respectful debate, as well as giving a sense of nostalgia from Motability times past!

Dave

Q3 2007:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2007-Q3-CPG.pdf

Q3 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q3-CPG.pdf

Viewing 7 replies - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #138917 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

And, of course, that’s where Motability failed us. They should have explained that even a zero AP car costs almost £10k in sacrificed benefits (today’s prices) and those with an AP of say £10k were costing the disabled driver £20k. Perception and reality were very different but perception won, at the expense of the people who Motability are supposed to champion. Very sad.

Glos Guy, your wording above is part of the issue that caused the problem and why the Mail jumped on us!

sacrificed benefits”  That is where the Daily Mail went, for the Public outrage, that “Benefits” were getting people “Free” cars.

At the time, it was DLA, an “Allowance” or in my case, handing over part of my War Pension.  As soon as it was referred to as “Benefits”, Motability had a hard time, sadly they took the easy route of limiting our choices, rather than the uphill fight to try and explain to the uninitiated, the difference between how we made payments as an allowance rather than a Benefit.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#138919 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m afraid that I don’t agree Intranicity. Benefits is a generic statutory term used to describe payments made by the state. The dictionary definition is “a payment made by the state or an insurance scheme to someone entitled to receive it”. It’s an unfortunate term, as the word is also used in a different context to describe something that puts you at an advantage to others, which is clearly not the case in regards to what we describe here as benefits. However, according to government terminology, PIP is a ‘benefit’ as is a state pension and, for that matter, so is a war pension. They are all payments made by the state to those entitled to them.

#138920 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The Mobility Element of DLA, is and was designed to help disabled people with transportation, it was and is non means tested, you could earn £50k or be a multi millionaire, it made no difference the options were and are there to use Motability or keep the “ALLOWANCE” and make separate arrangements.  Not to worried if you agree or disagree, but it is and was an Allowance not a benefit, otherwise, why was it not called Disability Living Benefit.

Your choice to use the term Benefit rather than Allowance is why there was outrage, if it had been referred to as the Allowance it was, I’m sure there would have been far fewer issues.

My point is to refer to it as a Benefit upsets people (Daily Mail readers) whereas an Allowance is much more acceptable

Previous Motability Cars

#138922 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Motability itself still refers to it as an Allowance by the way!

How the Scheme works
    The Motability Scheme enables anyone in receipt of a higher rate mobility allowance (such as the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment or the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance) to use their mobility allowance to lease a car, scooter, powered wheelchair or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle.

Previous Motability Cars

#138924 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Semantics. Correct it’s called an allowance, but it still constitutes a benefit. A state pension isn’t called a benefit either, but it is. We will just have to agree to disagree.

#138925 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Semantics. Correct it’s called an allowance, but it still constitutes a benefit. A state pension isn’t called a benefit either, but it is. We will just have to agree to disagree.

True, my main point though, is on a Disability website, we should be referring to this money as an Allowance, otherwise, we risk the Daily Mail using our quotes to their own nefarious causes!

Previous Motability Cars

#138928 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Sad as it is the read them (ALL THOSE DROPTOPS!) I really enjoy your posts of this vintage data. Fascinating and most enjoyable. Wish I could help with other historic stuff – unfortunately, my collection of vintage stuff is all aviation.

Viewing 7 replies - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008
Your information: