Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008

• Creator
    Topic
  • #135619 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Having been trawling around the bowels of my computer system, I came across some Motability Quarterly Price Guides from years past (when Motability did still publish quarterly price guides).

With the kind permission of WMC and many thanks to WMC for hosting them, here are a selection of the Quarterly Price Guides from 2007/2008 era. Showing the manufacturers and a selection of the vehicles that were available at these times, together with the respective advance payments.

Again, with thanks to WMC for his kind assistance, I will post some of the price guides from other years over time.

I hope they will provide some interest to forum members and promote some interesting and respectful debate, as well as giving a sense of nostalgia from Motability times past!

Dave

Q3 2007:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2007-Q3-CPG.pdf

Q3 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q3-CPG.pdf

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #135630 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

My pleasure Dave. I have almost every price of every vehicle from 2012 too. I will delve into my old computer to try to find some older stuff.

#135633 Reply
    Outrigger

Range Rover £12,000 AP 😱…..enough said.

#135642 Reply
    martinod

oh how AP have changed and the cars too bring back to good old days

#135643 Reply
    72 dudes

Wow, some shocking APs there, even for average metal!

Bargain in 2008 was the Volvo V70 at £1499, although that would have been the run out model prior to new shape.

Makes 2019/20 APs look like good value, although as we know, many went up this quarter.

#135646 Reply
    davjg
    Participant

Range Rover £12,000 AP, imagine the headlines in the press if that was on the scheme today!

I would have loved one of those, and all this issues with reliability that Land Rover have would have been paid for.

Little do newspapers realise that the award is not based on finance’s we all have.

Good old Tony Blair.

#135647 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Ah, the good old days when the delightful Mazda MX-5 was on the scheme.

* sigh

#135648 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

The one I find interesting is in the 2007 price guide, where the Mitsubishi L200 4×4 Warrior Pick-up was available on the scheme. Albeit you would have needed fairly deep pockets for the £4703/£5495 AP back then.

Rather a shame it isn’t available nowadays.

#135650 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I join Motability in 2008 and had as my first car that’s on that list as it happens the Golf 1.9 TDi Match DSG I don’t remember it being a Match version but it had a luxurious feel to it so could well of been and the AP of £999 is what I paid but I could afford it back then along with the £750 adaptions as not knowing it at the time that I had come to the end of my working days so it was after this date the money dried up.

Price increase wise with AP’s my next two cars were cheaper than the 2008 car for the same trim level with DSG of course however my current car cost twice as much as anything that’s gone before but that is mostly down to having to change from hatchbacks to MPV’s so overall I think I’ve been lucky AP wise and just hope my luck holds out until July this Summer when I order again though the VW Touran SEL has gone up about £250 in Q1 after a few stable years at £999 for the SEL but still a reasonable deal and hope it stay there about.

#135658 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Big Dave – brilliant post, thanks so much. Hours of nostalgia and “oooohing” in here. Starting with MX5 and the Alfa Spider 2.2 , the latter not particularly quick (slower than today’s 1.5L Golf) but WHAT a looker!

#135666 Reply
    Markymate
    Participant

The one I find interesting is in the 2007 price guide, where the Mitsubishi L200 4×4 Warrior Pick-up was available on the scheme. Albeit you would have needed fairly deep pockets for the £4703/£5495 AP back then. Rather a shame it isn’t available nowadays.

That’s the one that stood out for me too Big Dave. Had the L200 animal when I had my tiling business. Great vehicle.

Great post mate, looking forward to seeing more.

#135668 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

The good old days, with the Rexton

#135672 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing. Interesting how some very average cars had very high AP’s and some very nice ones had very reasonable AP’s. The Volvo V70 was cheap as chips and the Hyundai Santa Fe was very reasonable too for a big SUV. I would love Land Rover and Range Rover products to be back on the scheme. If we had been with the scheme at the time I would have looked at the Discovery and RR Sport, but would have run a comparison with the costs of getting one privately, especially as the RR Sport was the base model (although the price lists only show a sample of cars, so better spec ones might not have been a lot more, if available). It would be fantastic to have the Discovery Sport (Freelander replacement) and the RR Evoque on the scheme now.

#135712 Reply
    Harry

Jeez those Jaguar prices and Audi prices are insane!!! No wonder Jag aint on it anymore i doubt anyone was going for them.

#135717 Reply
    machoco

If range rover or landrover were ever on again id take a defender or rr sport ! worth it especially for 6k and 12k imo

#135725 Reply
    Moreton5

Yeah I would definitely opt for a 5 year plan on the RR Sport!

#135744 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Although our eyes all watered at the RR Sport AP, at today’s prices this is a £65k car. Many pay around £3k AP plus £10k sacrificed benefits = £13k to lease a car that retails for round £30k = 43% of the cars cost. £22k for the £65k Range Rover (£12k plus the same £10k sacrificed benefits) = 34% of the cars cost. So the Range Rover is a comparative bargain. Just saying 😉

#135745 Reply
    Southamman

Apart from the Land Rover and Jaguars, that choice was utter rubbish.

there are not many if those cars I would want or would be any use for me.

When people complain, yiu shoukd show them how rubbish it used to be!

#135747 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Apart from the Land Rover and Jaguars, that choice was utter rubbish. there are not many if those cars I would want or would be any use for me. When people complain, yiu shoukd show them how rubbish it used to be!

The price lists didn’t show every car that was available, just a selection and usually the lower spec (cheaper) models. The choice back then was a lot more than now, albeit at a cost.

#135749 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Apart from the Land Rover and Jaguars, that choice was utter rubbish. there are not many if those cars I would want or would be any use for me. When people complain, yiu shoukd show them how rubbish it used to be!

In fact, the price list states that it includes a ‘selection’ of over 3,000 cars that were available, so there were roughly twice as many cars on the scheme then compared to now. I knew that choice had reduced considerably, but even I was surprised to see by how much!

#135761 Reply
    machoco

Small piece from honest john in 2009

Even said a vauxhall vectra reduced by £3000 to £249 for a 1.9cdti 150 sri

New makes and models

Look out for new makes and models debuting on the Motability Car Scheme, such as
    Audi A6 Saloon and Avant, the eco model of the Ford New Fiesta, the Renault Megane
    hatchback, Volkswagen Golf and the Volvo XC60.

Plus, Motability Operations expects to add further new models during the first
    quarter of 2009 including the Audi Q5, the Ford New Ka, the Skoda Octavia and the
    Volkswagen Eos.

Good motors back then shame

#137330 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Here are a couple more Motability Price guides from the same era. Two ajoining quarters this time, to directly compare the AP changes from one quarter to the next.

Q1 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q1-CPG.pdf

and Q2 2008:

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q2-CPG.pdf

#137333 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Here are a couple more Motability Price guides from the same era. Two ajoining quarters this time, to directly compare the AP changes from one quarter to the next. Q1 2008: https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q1-CPG.pdf and Q2 2008: https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q2-CPG.pdf

Interesting and heartbreaking in equal measure! Over 4,000 vehicles on the scheme with the earlier price lists, over 3,000 on these and under 1,600 now. The BMW X3 is on the first one. That would be us sorted if it was still available to us now! Everything we want as standard and the extra space we ideally need, with an AP that’s not too bad given the value of the car. Some even bigger quality SUV’s such as the Discovery and not a bad price on the very large Santa Fe for those happy with a Hyundai. Volvo V70 still there for those wanting a cavernous but very good quality estate. Just goes to show how the choice has been substantially reduced over the years but the illogical nature of some of the AP’s was alive and well back then as well as now. Some very cheap AP’s for some nice cars and some very steep ones for some run of the mill ones. I never noticed anything like that in all the years I was with other leasing companies back in the days that I had company cars. They were far more logical and followed a pattern, generally price but with some of the prestige marques comparatively better value due to their far better residual values. In comparison, I just can’t fathom the logic of Motability Operations!

#137340 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

</p>

Here are a couple more Motability Price guides from the same era. Two ajoining quarters this time, to directly compare the AP changes from one quarter to the next. Q1 2008: https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q1-CPG.pdf and Q2 2008: https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2008-Q2-CPG.pdf

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Interesting and heartbreaking in equal measure! Over 4,000 vehicles on the scheme with the earlier price lists, over 3,000 on these and under 1,600 now. The BMW X3 is on the first one. That would be us sorted if it was still available to us now! Everything we want as standard and the extra space we ideally need, with an AP that’s not too bad given the value of the car. Some even bigger quality SUV’s such as the Discovery and not a bad price on the very large Santa Fe for those happy with a Hyundai. Volvo V70 still there for those wanting a cavernous but very good quality estate. Just goes to show how the choice has been substantially reduced over the years but the illogical nature of some of the AP’s was alive and well back then as well as now. Some very cheap AP’s for some nice cars and some very steep ones for some run of the mill ones. I never noticed anything like that in all the years I was with other leasing companies back in the days that I had company cars. They were far more logical and followed a pattern, generally price but with some of the prestige marques comparatively better value due to their far better residual values. In comparison, I just can’t fathom the logic of Motability Operations!

</p>
    I think you’ll find a lot of the problem is the manufacturers rather than notability.

they seem to use motability as a way to clear end of stock models, I can remember Honda having CRV’s stockpiled at Wroughton, next quarter the AP plummeted, but went up again the following quarter when the stock had reduced.

I got a C5 estate (amazing car) on the scheme when it first launched. Was only ever available in one quarter, I think sometimes manufacturers want to get new models out so they can be seen on the road.

Motability lease so many vehicles, it makes sense for the car makers to use them to serve their needs as well as ours, problem is, popular cars that they can sell easily outside the scheme often have high AP or don’t even get offered.

I think that the way forward might need to be 5 year leases if the AP’s are to come down, I’m fortunate as a War Pensioner that my weekly allowance is higher, although in reverse it means my car choice is even more restricted as I can’t get a car up to the max AP allowed as they only work max AP on the lower amounts

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury

#137355 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m sure there’s something in that Inranicity, but that alone can’t explain the drop from over 4,000 cars to less than 1,600. That’s a conscious decision to reduce choice.

#137392 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Quite so, Glos Guy. If one were of the conspiracy-theory bent, then one might think that the Government is consciously reducing Motability car numbers as part of the plan to do away with Motability altogether. The disgraceful “transition” to PIP has already slashed the numbers allowed on the scheme. Won’t take much more to destroy it altogether. But, surely, not! If you believe that of Government then you might also believe that it wants to privatise the NHS and, of course, there’s no chance of that. I know, let’s ask the Daily Flail, shall we?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
Reply To: Motability Nostalgia – Quarterly Price Guides from 2007 & 2008
Your information: