Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

This topic contains 1,007 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Brydo 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #83405 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Article

The Scottish Conservative (and Unionist) party has enjoyed something of resurgence in recent years under the energetic leadership of Ruth Davidson.

The party’s opponents are convinced that Boris Johnson as prime minister could put an end to all that – and could even put an end to the union between Scotland the rest of the UK.

It’s true that Mr Johnson could hardly be more different from the down to earth, plain speaking and Remain-voting Ms Davidson. The two are not friends and have vehemently disagreed before.

Some observers like to speculate that Boris will appear to Scottish voters to be the very epitome of the upper-class English ruling caste that Scots so dislike. But policy may well prove to be more important than personality.

Mr Johnson appeared to have a weak grasp of the dynamics of devolution when he proposed tax changes that take no account of the fact that income tax rates in Scotland are set by the Scottish Parliament.

But since then he has promised Scottish Tory MPs he will set up a “union unit” inside No 10 to check every policy. If he knows what he doesn’t know, then maybe he can avoid these gaffes as PM.

It’s Brexit that may be his undoing, in so many ways. In Remain-voting Scotland, his problem is that the idea of a no deal Brexit is far less palatable than it is in the rest of the UK. The harder the Brexit Boris delivers, the more the Tory party in Scotland could suffer.

If Prime Minister Johnson [he will officially take on the role this Wednesday] pursues a Brexit policy at odds with what most voters in Scotland would like to see, then it’s possible they may change their minds about whether remaining part of the UK is in their best interests. Some recent polling evidence suggests as many as 60% of voters could vote “yes” to independence if we leave the EU with no deal.

In the end it may not be the precise details of any Brexit deal that stokes desire for independence – or indeed the character of any individual politician – but a sense that Scotland has different aspirations from the rest of the UK, which can’t be reconciled within the current union.

If Mr Johnson wants to keep the kingdom united, he will need to take care not fan those flames.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90601 Reply
    Brydo

Well he used to be a member of the Tory party 😜

#90603 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I hear he’s joining the SNP…

#90606 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Bring back the Whigs!

#90607 Reply
    Brydo

He’s running for mayor of London

#90612 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

A brief analysis of yesterdays events could lead one to conclude that whilst much effort and discussions are taking place and with some progress in limited areas of a moderate nature being reported an optimistic outlook could be in order providing, however, such progress is seen as tangible and could precipitate a more robust negotiation focusing sharply on certain aspects which, hitherto, have proved elusive in securing the agreement required by all relevant partied to enable a more focused group to refine and produce a working document prior to the next summit. Exciting stuff.

#90652 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

This is the honest truth and not a joke my partner has read on the internet that Jennifer went to Boris flat to play chess !

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#90653 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Perhaps BJ is emulating the game of chess in conducting said negotiations with EU counterparts. Shall we trade a bishop now to strengthen our position later? Fascinating times ahead.

#90655 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I read on the internet that Elvis is alive and living in Northampton.  So it must be true.

#90658 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

That’s great wigwam thankyou for confirming it they met on their like of chess

#90664 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’ve never played chess

#90673 Reply
    brydo

Looks like no deal then?

Time for the opposition to thrash out their differences and combine in a unity government.

#90674 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Oh, Brydo. You and unity government. I nearly spilt my tea laughing.

#90675 Reply
    brydo

I hope you have stocked up on that tea wigwam BJs enforced shortages coming soon.

#90681 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I could always drink more of that Scotch whisky the US won’t be buying.

#90685 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

A number of issues have arisen today which could have some concerns, particularly as a number of reported discussions are unlikely to materialise as each of the respected players attempts to coerce thinking to assist their own positions, but what is perplexing is the position, so far, adopted by numerous, so called, members of parliament who in refusing to back a WTO clean Brexit, any deal or indeed any other option have by implication found themselves in a position where, to may, they appear illogical and perhaps not of the soundest mind and, of course, today we are seeing much commonsense from many, including, but not restricted to, the DUP leader who has, with fortitude, correctly diagnosed the true intentions of the EU and has, in doing, so dissuaded many previous supporters of remaining within the EU of acceptance of a different proposition. Secondly whilst a number of minor, but important stage 3 talks which were and still are scheduled to take place, there is a general acceptance these were unlikely to prevail in the strictest sense but nevertheless could have produced a situation whereby more detailed discussion might have been possible notwithstanding the challenging timetable and now there is concern concerning and attributable to unrealistic stances within the framework of the EU which could, if unchallenged, produce an outcome undesirable to them but one, which by implication, is acceptable to the majority of inhabitants within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland resulting in a situation within the remainder of member states within the former said organisation having to contemplate difficult and unpalatable choices. I really think this could be a fork in the road and with courage, conviction and leadership this country can follow the correct path.

#90719 Reply
    Brydo

On holiday guys so might be out of touch for a few days.

The wife just said why do they get a break when I don’t lol 😂

#90726 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I remember holidays…..

Have a lovely time Brydo and Mrs Brydo.

#90738 Reply
    Brydo

You don’t know my wife wigwam lovely time and Mrs Brydo are things seldom contained on the same sentence lol.

#90804 Reply
    Mike

Have a great holiday Brydo I will miss you on here

#90847 Reply
    Brydo

Thanks Mike 👍

#90877 Reply
    Philjb

Talking of shortages in bri’s previous post, my condition is called Ankylosing spondylitis and we have a really fantastic national association.
    They recently released a list of medication that is on the at risk of low stock levels and I’m on 5 of them.
    One is a biologic medication that slows my body fusing.
    My fear is drugs like this that aren’t common will get dropped by NICE after brexit and I’ll have to go back to the older forms of medication which bring with it horrible side effects.

I just wondered if anyone else is thinking it’s a serious concern or a lot of fake news.

#90893 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

So much has been written about Brexit its impossible to know what’s true and what’s fake.

#90895 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I tend to the view that markets prevail.  Whatever governments do to help or hinder supply of goods, businesses want to make profits and work to overcome anything that gets in the way.  So, while sharing your concerns Phil, I’m optimistic supplies will be maintained. After all, drug companies sell their wears worldwide, not just in the UK or in the EU.

#90906 Reply
    Brydo

Fwippers I thought you said it was all fake

#90936 Reply
    Philjb

Wigwam

I do agree these are expensive meds so the manufacturers risk loosing a lot of income. One of these meds alone is over 12k a year or the NHS, the information was released as a government warning to pharmacies that stock levels are extremely likely to be effected for an unknown time, as these drugs have a very short shelf life, need to be stored at a specific temperature and are usually delivered immediately to customers directly.

I don’t believe it’s simply scaremongering and certainly not political, time will tell, but this combination of drugs changes my life from being functioning to being hospitalised in a few weeks. One is for my related heart disease, I have to admit it’s worrying me.
    I believed a deal would happen but it’s now looking less likely.
    Time will tell.

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 1,007 total)
Reply To: Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: