Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

This topic contains 552 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wigwam 37 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #83405 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Article

The Scottish Conservative (and Unionist) party has enjoyed something of resurgence in recent years under the energetic leadership of Ruth Davidson.

The party’s opponents are convinced that Boris Johnson as prime minister could put an end to all that – and could even put an end to the union between Scotland the rest of the UK.

It’s true that Mr Johnson could hardly be more different from the down to earth, plain speaking and Remain-voting Ms Davidson. The two are not friends and have vehemently disagreed before.

Some observers like to speculate that Boris will appear to Scottish voters to be the very epitome of the upper-class English ruling caste that Scots so dislike. But policy may well prove to be more important than personality.

Mr Johnson appeared to have a weak grasp of the dynamics of devolution when he proposed tax changes that take no account of the fact that income tax rates in Scotland are set by the Scottish Parliament.

But since then he has promised Scottish Tory MPs he will set up a “union unit” inside No 10 to check every policy. If he knows what he doesn’t know, then maybe he can avoid these gaffes as PM.

It’s Brexit that may be his undoing, in so many ways. In Remain-voting Scotland, his problem is that the idea of a no deal Brexit is far less palatable than it is in the rest of the UK. The harder the Brexit Boris delivers, the more the Tory party in Scotland could suffer.

If Prime Minister Johnson [he will officially take on the role this Wednesday] pursues a Brexit policy at odds with what most voters in Scotland would like to see, then it’s possible they may change their minds about whether remaining part of the UK is in their best interests. Some recent polling evidence suggests as many as 60% of voters could vote “yes” to independence if we leave the EU with no deal.

In the end it may not be the precise details of any Brexit deal that stokes desire for independence – or indeed the character of any individual politician – but a sense that Scotland has different aspirations from the rest of the UK, which can’t be reconciled within the current union.

If Mr Johnson wants to keep the kingdom united, he will need to take care not fan those flames.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 552 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #83418 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

The only thing I’ve heard so far that I fully believe that isn’t just speculation from the media and “experts” is one of his closest friends saying that he will either be a fabulous PM or an unmitigated disaster, there will be no middle ground. Only time will tell.

#83461 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just listened to Michael heseltine provide a scathing assessment of Johnston’s abilities, on TV. He obviously has no regard for him and all but condemned him as a conman. I have little respect for Johnston, which I did have for Theresa May, but I hope he turns out to be a great Prime Minister as if he isn’t it’s us that will suffer.

#83464 Reply
    POPS

Less than 93,000 conservative party members have foisted a bumbling clown onto the rest of the 46 million registered UK voters.

Later today a “bull in a china shop” figure will walk through the doors of Number 10 as Prime Minister.

We had all better get our dustpans and brushes out ready to sweep up the bits and pieces.

#83465 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I hear there will be a few more resignations this afternoon.

#83499 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Johnston the joker “dude” to announce his cabinet this afternoon and to make a speech at 1600, can’t wait to hear what he has to say.

#83525 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Well gaffe free introduction, steady as she goes, lets see who get the big jobs.

#83534 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

I feel Mr Johnson will do a far better job than his predeccsor. A flavour and indication of the route the new PM will follow can be gained by the cabinet appointments. The top priority must be to deliver Brexit by whatever means are at his disposal including the porogueing of parliament which is the route I feel shall be followed shortly after which a general election. If Brexit has been delivered I feel a good majority will be obtained particularly as Corbyn is in decline and possibly we shall see conservative picking up numerous seats in Labour leave seats and Lib Dems maybe pick up a few. If however no delivery of Brexit we shall see Brexit party soar.

#83537 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

fwipperie are you on drugs lol.

Lets wish him all the best, was content with his speach, but talk is easy, lets see if he can walk the walk.

#83547 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Too many drugs! All prescription.  Perhaps it’s the heat. Expected to reach 30c here tomorrow.  Better than the 39c prediction for London.

#83555 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

He’s absolutely demolished the cabinet, with resignations and sackings there’s a whole raft of new faces. Brexiteers will be happy with the reshuffle but I fear he has made another batch of enemies that he could do without.

I think his changes have made the chance of an early election and a left wing coalition in power more likely. Only good thing about that is it will be a coalition and not an outright labour/Corbyn victory.

I’m not sure the Tories will survive in its current form, they are a party split down the middle having to sort something that is not sortable, it could be the end of the party.

#83569 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

You may be correct. This why I believe if he thinks he cannot get a deal or a no deal through parliament, he will suspend it. If however he chooses not to, he may call an election and stand as the PM who tried but could not deliver Brexit due to other MP’s of all parties blocking it (despite promising to deliver Brexit) and asking the electorate for a mandate to make good on the promises previously given. I think Corbyn is a spent force and I would expect Johnson to win a majority.

#83570 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

There is some karma with this whole situation. The Tories brought this trouble to the country, it’s only right they suffer the consequences.

I was surprised by the content of BJ speech, lots of spending promised a fair bit of borrowing required very un-Tory like. However all have been picked to please the Tory faithful in a bid to give them something to focus on and reducing the need for them to move to the Brexit party.

I’m sure many non Tories will be happy with what he said also.

#83571 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Too hot to post now! 28c already!

#83664 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Fwipperie you are a bit like my wife, she thinks because she says something its true. The polls show there would be no overall majority for any party in an election. If you have any facts to back up your point of view it would be good for you to share it. Just saying things you “hope” will happen doesn’t mean it will happen.

BJ’s appointment as PM has given the discussion a breathe of fresh air, his optimism, even if misplaced, has given the Tory Party a much needed lift.

His appointment of mostly right wing ministers has galvanised a group of powerful centrist/left wing lol back benchers that may bring his premiership to an early conclusion, although I don’t think so.

#83673 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brydo, are you suggesting that what your wife says about you is untrue? Dangerous ground…

#83674 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

My wife could have an entire thread to herself wigwam, but she, like yourself, thinks if you say something often enough it somehow becomes the truth, rather than a version of the truth.

#83675 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I do my best to stick to facts, rather than opinions, Brydo. I leave conjecture to others.

#83678 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Haha wigwam, thorough I would call you.

BJ can solve everything it seems, all it needs is a bit of positive thinking, simples lol.

#83679 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Now you’re getting the hang of it.

#83681 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Boris has been a naughty boy with all the ladies ….. I like him

I like Magnums....

#83682 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Mike he makes you look like a choir boy.

#83683 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

He does indeed Brydo I honestly think he is just what the country needed and his dad is a nice guy too and great to see Esther Mcvey back in the cabinet

I like Magnums....

#83687 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Which post did she get mike. I think she will be working closely with BJ

#83688 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Housing minister I’m told Brydo will she be working VERY closely with young Boris ?

I like Magnums....

#83689 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Sorry to disappoint Mike but her office will be in Marsham Street about a mile from No10.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 552 total)
Reply To: Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: