Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

This topic contains 1,007 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Brydo 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #83405 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Article

The Scottish Conservative (and Unionist) party has enjoyed something of resurgence in recent years under the energetic leadership of Ruth Davidson.

The party’s opponents are convinced that Boris Johnson as prime minister could put an end to all that – and could even put an end to the union between Scotland the rest of the UK.

It’s true that Mr Johnson could hardly be more different from the down to earth, plain speaking and Remain-voting Ms Davidson. The two are not friends and have vehemently disagreed before.

Some observers like to speculate that Boris will appear to Scottish voters to be the very epitome of the upper-class English ruling caste that Scots so dislike. But policy may well prove to be more important than personality.

Mr Johnson appeared to have a weak grasp of the dynamics of devolution when he proposed tax changes that take no account of the fact that income tax rates in Scotland are set by the Scottish Parliament.

But since then he has promised Scottish Tory MPs he will set up a “union unit” inside No 10 to check every policy. If he knows what he doesn’t know, then maybe he can avoid these gaffes as PM.

It’s Brexit that may be his undoing, in so many ways. In Remain-voting Scotland, his problem is that the idea of a no deal Brexit is far less palatable than it is in the rest of the UK. The harder the Brexit Boris delivers, the more the Tory party in Scotland could suffer.

If Prime Minister Johnson [he will officially take on the role this Wednesday] pursues a Brexit policy at odds with what most voters in Scotland would like to see, then it’s possible they may change their minds about whether remaining part of the UK is in their best interests. Some recent polling evidence suggests as many as 60% of voters could vote “yes” to independence if we leave the EU with no deal.

In the end it may not be the precise details of any Brexit deal that stokes desire for independence – or indeed the character of any individual politician – but a sense that Scotland has different aspirations from the rest of the UK, which can’t be reconciled within the current union.

If Mr Johnson wants to keep the kingdom united, he will need to take care not fan those flames.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90406 Reply
    Brydo

wigwam you didnt have time to watch that before you said no.

#90407 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You’re right, Brydo, I didn’t watch it.  It’s a story that’s been doing the rounds for some days and had been thoroughly debunked.

#90408 Reply
    Brydo

I thought you were psychic wigwam lol.

#90409 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #90412 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

In the Times today, suggestions Bercow as PM!

#90413 Reply
    Andy52
    Participant

……..And to Andy, if I’ve offended a Scottish Nationalist by describing Latvia as a tinpot country, I apologise.

You’ve not offended me but I reckon a lot of Latvians might be a bit put out.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatar Andy52.
    #90419 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You think?

Latvia is currently the third-poorest country in the European Union and about 30,000 people leave the country each year…

#90425 Reply
    Andy52
    Participant

You think? Latvia is currently the third-poorest country in the European Union and about 30,000 people leave the country each year…

It’s actually the fourth poorest but the EU will invest and improve that. England could end up in the the same boat if Scotland ends the Union. Look at Ireland before it joined the EU, and look at it now. It outstrips the UK in almost every economic area.

The two biggest export earners in the UK, apart from financial services, are whisky and oil. Guess which country has both in abundance. Guess which country exports electricity to keep the south running. Guess which country is self sufficient in food and energy production. Where’s 90% of the UK’s water? Loch Ness contains more water than every lake in England combined. But we were told in the last Independence referendum that England would no longer trade with us. We’ll see in the next year or two how quickly that attitude changes.

Westminster tells you that we are subsidised by England yet they resort to very underhand tactics to stop Scotland going its own way. Have you ever thought why that is? Do some homework and you will see why.

#90430 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Statistics tell a story, but other matters can too, and of course, whilst they might be taken in a contextual format, offer a deeper and less nuanced view of matters which, if presented to a less than generous mind in circumstances less prevalent to the majority view result in a different, and perhaps, erroneous conclusion. I though I should clarify that in case of doubt.

#90432 Reply
    Brydo

What’s happened to fwipperie? We now have fwippers is it the same guy 😂

#90436 Reply
    POPS

fwippers is indeed the new fwipperie.

#90437 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Just to clarify I prefer fwippers, it has a better ring to it. It’s the same person and I will try and continue with insightful and interesting posts and the odd poem.  But a good day today in terms of football results.

#90440 Reply
    Andy52
    Participant

Statistics tell a story, but other matters can too, and of course, whilst they might be taken in a contextual format, offer a deeper and less nuanced view of matters which, if presented to a less than generous mind in circumstances less prevalent to the majority view result in a different, and perhaps, erroneous conclusion. I though I should clarify that in case of doubt.

I agree. Statistics are only a part of the story. England decided it wanted to leave because, among other things, they did not like laws imposed on them by the EU. For England read Scotland, and for the EU read England. Exactly the same sentiments. Scots are becoming increasingly aware that Westminster will always do what is in England’s interests and we can do nothing about it. The huge built in English majority will always ensure that it is so.

Independence, and a real parliament in Edinburgh would allow us to elect politicians whose arses are within kicking distance should they get it wrong. This country has so much to offer its citizens if only we had control of our own destiny.

And just in case you think I am one of those English hating Scots, I was born and brought up in Beeston, Leeds and I still enjoy watching the cricket, that bastion of Englishness.

#90444 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I don’t disagree with you for a moment, Andy. If the Scots want independence, and when last asked they didn’t, they should have it.  And if then they wanted to rejoin the EU, they would deserve all they would get!

#90521 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

In anticipation of this week’s negotiating there are a number of key issues which may be resolved and will be pivotal to any agreement.  I feel the talks shall break down without agreement.

#90532 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

24 days to go.

#90574 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

start the clock

#90578 Reply
    Brydo

MP Heidi Allen joins Lib Dems

MP Heidi Allen, who quit the Conservative Party earlier this year, joins the Liberal Democrats

#90579 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

They’ll need to find her a seat. She won’t get back in in South Cambridgeshire.

#90581 Reply
    Brydo

Sometimes people put their principles before themselves

#90585 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That’ll be, I have strong principals. If you don’t like them I have others. She was elected on a manifesto to leave the EU.

#90586 Reply
    Brydo

And how many manifestos have you seen followed through?

#90587 Reply
    Brydo

Talking about principals this is about a man with none.

Arcuri ‘not answering’ Johnson affair questions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/49957497/jennifer-arcuri-not-answering-boris-johnson-affair-questions

#90588 Reply
    Brydo

Boris Johnson’s Abuses of Power | Rory Stewart | Interview

‘If Boris pulls off this miracle of getting a new deal out of Brussels and through parliament by the 31st of October, I’ll resign.’ In this exclusive interview Conservative party leadership candidate Rory Stewart speaks out on Boris Johnson’s ‘abuses of power’, the influence of Dominic Cummings, and whether the Prime Minister will get a new Brexit deal or be forced to resign. #borisjohnson #brexit #nodeal Rory Stewart opens up about the psychological impact of having the whip removed, the disintegration of the traditional political environment, and the profound constitutional faults that are being uncovered through the Brexit deadlock and prorogation of parliament. Rory Stewart: Conservative party leadership candidate Rory Stewart was one of 21 anti no-deal rebels to be purged from the party on 3rd September 2019. The former Secretary of State for International Development under Theresa May is now an independent politician and champion of the fight against a No Deal Brexit. Emma Barnett: Rory Stewart is interviewed by the journalist Emma Barnett, who regularly presents BBC’s Newsnight, Radio 5 Live, and Woman’s Hour.

#90596 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Rory Stewart speaks?  You know he’s quite mad, don’t you, Brydo?

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 1,007 total)
Reply To: Could Prime Minister Boris Johnson break up the UK?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: