Zappers in flood water/ or any water

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159585 Reply
    ajn

What happens to electric cars in flood water/or loss of control into a river..

Will you get harmed from charge..⚡️

Viewing 23 replies - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159677 Reply
    Tim

I thought he already had one up his driveway?

#159678 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

In all sincerity i think this thread is shocking, all you fossils are amping up arguements trying to cause a re-volt, someone needs to socket it to you especially in this current situation. At first i thought Ohm give him the benefit of the doubt but i know you cant resistor an arguement. i know you drive a Volvo but wish you had a  Volts-wagon.

I will leave you with these electrical jokes:-

Two atoms were walking down the street.
    Atom One: Oh no – I’ve lost an electron!
    Atom two: Are you sure?
    Atom one: Yes… I’m positive.

The guy who got arrested for eating batteries…. He is to be charged in the morning.

An electrician in Heaven

A electrician dies in a fishing accident on his 40th birthday and finds himself greeted at the Pearly Gates by a brass band. Saint Peter runs over, shakes his hand and says “Congratulations!”
    “Congratulations for what?” asks the electrician
    “Congratulations for what?” says Saint Peter. “We are celebrating the fact that you lived to be 160 years old.”
    “But that’s not true,” says the consultant. “I only lived to be forty.”
    “That’s impossible,” says Saint Peter, “we added up your time sheets!”

Lost Ear Accident

Two electricians, John and Dave, were working and John up on a scaffold accidently cut off his ear.
    He yelled down to Dave…”Hey! look out for my ear I just cut off!”
    In a little bit Dave calls up to John, ” is this your ear?”
    John looks down and says “Nah! Mine had a pencil behind it!”

Exact Words

The homeowner was delighted with the way the electrician had done all the work on his house. “You did a great job.” he said and handed the man a cheque. “Also, in order to thank-you, here’s an extra £80 to take the missus out to dinner and a movie.” Later that night, the doorbell rang and it was the electrician. Thinking the electrician had forgotten something the man asked, “What’s the matter, did you forget something?” “Nope.” replied the electrician. “I’m just here to take your missus out to dinner and a movie like you asked.”

Her Clean Floor

While electricians were working outside the old house I had just bought, I busied myself with indoor cleaning.
    I had just finished washing the floor when one of the workmen asked to use the toilet.
    With dismay I looked from his muddy boots to my newly scrubbed floors.
    “Just a minute,” I said, thinking of a quick solution.
    “I’ll put down newspapers.”
    “That’s all right, lady,” he responded. “I’m already trained.”
    Construction Workers Understand

Four surgeons are discussing who makes the best type of surgery patient.
    The first surgeon says, “I like to see accountants on my operating table, because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered.”
    The second responds, “Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is colour coded.”
    The third surgeon says, “No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order.”
    The fourth surgeon chimes in: “You know, I like construction workers ~ they seem to understand when you have a few parts left over at the end and when the job takes longer than you said it would.”

Death Row

A chemist, a biologist and an electrician were on death row waiting to go in the electric chair. The chemist was brought forward first. “Do you have anything you want to say?” asked the executioner, strapping him in ”No,” replied the chemist. The executioner flicked the switch and nothing happened. Under State law, if an execution attempt fails, the prisoner is to be released, so the chemist was released. Then the biologist was brought forward. “Do you have anything you want to say?” “No, just get on with it.” The executioner flicked the switch, and again nothing happened, so the biologist was released. Then the electrician was brought forward. “Do you have anything you want to say?” asked the executioner. “Yes,” replied the engineer. “If you swap the red and the blue wires over, you might make this thing work.”

Strong Man on the Job

The strong young man at the construction site was bragging that he could out do anyone in a feat of strength. He made a special case of making fun of one of the older workmen. After several minutes, the older worker had had enough. “Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is,” he said.
    “I will bet a week’s wages that I can haul something in a wheelbarrow over to that outbuilding that you won’t be able to wheel back.”
    “You’re on, old man,” the braggart replied. “Let’s see what you got.”
    The old man reached out and grabbed the wheelbarrow by the handles.
    Then, nodding to the young man, he said, “All right, Get in.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#159680 Reply
    ajn

#159683 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

That took you a while ajn lol.

#159685 Reply
    ajn

Brydo some how it’s been decided that I’m totally against electric cars, I’m not, I haven’t much interest in them and slowly learning more about them.

I probably got a bit more idea around cars and spanner’s than most here..

My car work all done by me, I had a Volvo s40 14 years never failed MOT,165000 miles before some plank DPD driver smashed into it parked up..

A very confident driver on/off road cars and off road bikes, I love it tbh..

People don’t have a clue about these things, most come out turn the key and drive off petrol/diesel and off to work, shopping whatever..

#159686 Reply
    Tim

In EV’s they’ve mostly done away with the key turning. It’s better for the environment.

#159687 Reply
    ajn

Never driven one or been in one Tim so wouldn’t know..

#159691 Reply
    Tim

Treat yourself to a test drive! I’m surely not the only one here who would genuinely love to read your thoughts.

#159692 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

EVs are great to drive ajn, charging can be a bit of a problem but the cars are fantastic, fast, quite and cheap (for now).

#159693 Reply
    ajn

It’s still a bit far off for me Tim, however when if the time comes be assured I’ll be totally clued up on it, I got lots of time, 2023 next one..

As for now I’ll watch learn and wait..

Brydo post some great stuff on here, I mentioned it before, however step on some toes here by disagreeing everyone follows, it’s quite funny really..

#159694 Reply
    ajn

If you got the time anyone reading this  watch the vids, some impressive stuff..

#159696 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

ajn it’s all good fun, this forum is fantastic and we should all appreciate it.

#159700 Reply
    ajn

Yeah you gone on and do that Brydo, this has been a place to visit through very testing times..

11 months ish I’ve been here, found the site due to health problems..

I have other forums for other interests, I’d say a little more sedate than this one, not so uuurrrmmm well..

I guess I’ll spend more time with those forums..

I enjoyed the weather tread, sunflowers thread, music thread, thought they work well..

look after them all Brydo appreciate them, well you know the ones..

🌻🌼🌼🌸🌸🌻🌼🌼🌸🌸🌸

#159706 Reply
    Rene

To put some actual information here (there’s surprisingly little of that here, so someone actually interested wouldn’t learn much)..

No, an electric car is considerably more resistant to water or submersion than an ICE car. First of all, “shorts”. Quite literally impossible unless you drive through liquid mercury on a regular basis, but then a shorted battery is the least of your problems. A prolonged amount of time submerged in salt water will do damage to the terminals (electrolysis), and will drain the battery pretty fast. The same goes for the normal 12v in an ICE car.

Second, “wading” through something is considerably more dangerous for an ICE car than it is for an electric car. Water down the intake of your engine is one of the fastest ways to severely damage or outright destroy the engine. If you’re lucky and the engine was idling when flooded, you hydrolock it, which means you might get away with pulling the plugs and cranking it, spitting out the water. Much more likely is that you were revving the engine since you were trying to pass through water, in which case the engine is almost certainly now junk. Water doesn’t compress, which means you’ll hydraulic a piston.

No such problems in an electric car.

No, you obviously won’t get electrocuted if you drive the car into a river. The entire electric drivetrain has at least an IP67 rating, with most newer EVs getting an IP68 rating. IP67 means it protects against temporary submersion (around 30 minutes), IP68 means it protects against prolonged submersion. Which is obviously important for conditioned batteries in newer EVs, since the batteries are indeed watercooled. On top of that, in case of an accident (sensors), the enclosure gets immediately disconnected (pyro fuses), meaning high voltage will only exist within the battery itself. Plus, ground fault detection systems and fuses.

It’s pretty much impossible to get electric shocks from an EV. For some interesting (and humorous) information on this particular topic, watch “electroboom” on youtube. Particularly the video where he stands in a bathtub and drops a live wire into the water, without getting hurt (do not attempt).

Of course water will do damage through corrosion, but that’s not exclusive to an EV.

As someone who plays with high powered batteries for the hobby.. While batteries sure are dangerous, very much so indeed, water isn’t the problem.

Oxygen is. If you get into an accident so devastating that you manage to rupture the batteries/enclosure, oxygen will reach the lithium in the batteries. Oxygen + Lithium = fireworks. Thankfully, due to how battery packs are constructed, even if you rupture the casing, the fire isn’t devastating. In case of a Tesla for example, it has 7000 batteries, arranged as an array with multiple, steel enclosed compartments. It’d take a freak accident to pull a Titanic and rupture every single one, which would then of course lead to a spectacular fire. That being said: the kind of accident you need to accomplish a ruptured battery would also (multiple times over) rupture a petrol tank. As we know, petrol and a hot exhaust or spark doesn’t make it rain either.

To come back to the actual case, anyone who has an understanding wife and is allowed to spend a few grand worth of stupidity into RC cars learns pretty fast what you can and cannot do with batteries. Submerging them is fine. Some of my RCs wade through rivers without even being enclosed – and some of my batteries, while not that high voltage (biggest pack i got is 30 volts), they’re still able to push around 1000 ampere (not mA, A) over short periods of times – so i’m pretty “anorak-y” when it comes to battery safety. My crown jewel RC produces around 10hp electric, so not that far off of a Tweezy lol.

#159830 Reply
    Slimtrim

As parts of London were submerged in water yesterday, I drove through several 1ft or more of flood water as both front & back parking sensors were going mad in my e2008. Nonetheless, It was a frieghtening experience…. but would I have attempted this in my ICE, definitely not!

#159833 Reply
    joss

This ICE vehicle had no problems with flood

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159834 Reply
    joss

Yeah you gone on and do that Brydo, this has been a place to visit through very testing times.. 11 months ish I’ve been here, found the site due to health problems.. I have other forums for other interests, I’d say a little more sedate than this one, not so uuurrrmmm well.. I guess I’ll spend more time with those forums.. I enjoyed the weather tread, sunflowers thread, music thread, thought they work well.. look after them all Brydo appreciate them, well you know the ones.. 🌻🌼🌼🌸🌸🌻🌼🌼🌸🌸🌸

@ajn
    Don’t you be disappearing on us ajn. I know there has been a fair bit of pith taking going on but that is as far as it has gone. I have been monitoring this thread and will continue to do so.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159836 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Totally agree joss, don’t leave ajn.

#159838 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@ajn Shocked to hear of your intended departure. Please don’t go. Lou and I need your further support on sunflowers. 🌻😊

#159839 Reply
    Tim

In a forum full of brand snobbish postings we sorely need the refreshing Ajn’s around here!

#159870 Reply
    ajn

Joss never ever stop humour, if anything encourage it😁.

Disrespect from a certain person popping up with comments and slights to me is disrespectful, not just to me but to them also, I’ll prefer somewhere more pleasant, with humour and respect..

In reality it wouldn’t happen👍, in fact I feel sorry to have made them feel such a way to loose all manners..

I posted a reply, got deleted wasn’t even a nasty one, just the truth…

🌻..

#159872 Reply
    ajn

Oh yeah forgot to say thanks all for the replies, and well you know..☺️

#159876 Reply
    Tim

I do hope I haven’t made you feel that way, ajn.

Viewing 23 replies - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Zappers in flood water/ or any water
Your information: