Zappers in flood water/ or any water

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159585 Reply
    ajn

What happens to electric cars in flood water/or loss of control into a river..

Will you get harmed from charge..⚡️

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159586 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

You can’t drive them on a rainy day too.

#159590 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Just keep yourself insulated..

#159591 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Quite dangerous washing them as well, you need training and PPE.

#159592 Reply
    Tim

Just take the batteries out first.

#159593 Reply
    ajn

😂🤣

#159594 Reply
    struth
    Participant

where an undamaged EV is floating down a flooded road or river, its electrical components are well sealed and extremely unlikely to provide an electrical hazard to its occupants, bystanders … or passing fish.

what happens if the EV is damaged and sections of the high voltage electrics become exposed?

In this case, a series of safety and protection systems will kick in. In the event of a crash, automatic disconnection of the high voltage electrics occurs through an impact sensor (which exists in all modern cars), thereby limiting the presence of high voltage to within the battery only. Another system (called a ground-fault detection system) is also built into EVs.

The ground-fault detection system constantly tests for electrical connections between the metal vehicle body and the high voltage system. (The two must at all times remain isolated from each other). On detection of such a fault, the ground-fault system will shut-off the electrical supply to the high voltage components. Additionally, there are a series of fuses inside a battery pack to disconnect different areas within the pack if needed.

#159615 Reply
    ajn

If your not going answer sensibly struth please don’t 😂😂

Only joking Thanks for the reply 👍..

#159628 Reply
    joss

@ajn You really ask for the pith being taken to your post, your a bit of a Luddite when it comes to electric vehicles.

Loved the posts though made me laugh.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159636 Reply
    ajn

Yes Joss, humour is important in life, just because we hold a or care for disability, don’t mean we can’t have some fun..

Sometimes do it..

#159637 Reply
    ajn

Loving ww reply though..

#159643 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

EV drivers won’t ever experience flood water ajn, as they have single handedly reversed climate change. Don’t you read all their educational posts? 😉

#159653 Reply
    ajn

I’m slowly learning Glos Guy, just don’t tell the rest of them 👍

#159655 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

They actually work very well as the Chinese have found out recently

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#159656 Reply
    ajn

Mean while inside the car

#159657 Reply
    ajn

Meanwhile*

#159661 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

That Tesla photo is hilarious. The photo has been taken to look as though the car is in deep water when it isn’t. That’s a bow wave at the front. Look at the rear wheel. The actual water level looks like it’s not more than around 6 inches. On a serious note, I should think that EV’s are just as safe as ICE cars in flood water. They must surely have factored things like this in to the design?

#159663 Reply
    Tim

Very much depends, EV’s have issues with water permeating the motor housings. It also depends on if it’s salt or river water acting on the seals.

Either way I wouldn’t risk it, not so much out of fear of electrocution (extremely unlikely), more out of fear of damaging the motors. Similar to how you’d be daft to try anything too deep in an ICE vehicle and causing hydro lock.

#159667 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

https://youtube.com/shorts/dX5Ygxz9-j4?feature=share

#159670 Reply
    ajn

Tesla not on the scheme though, how about seeing one available to us drive through..

One popular on here maybe..

#159671 Reply
    Tim

#159672 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Having handed it back today I can confess to the fact that I once drove the Tiguan through a few feet of water. It was on a country road near us that had never flooded before, so I thought that it couldn’t be too deep. Wrong! ‘Commitment entrapment’ kicked in and I remembered (as the drivers in those videos demonstrate) that the trick is to keep up a decent speed so that you generate a good bow wave. This magically parts the water level along the sides of the vehicle so that it is lower than the standing water depth. Where people go wrong is when they go too slow or, worse still, stop as the full water depth then hits the side of the car and you are, to quote a technical term, buggered. Not good to adopt the bow wave technique where there are houses alongside though as you can flood them!

#159673 Reply
    ajn

Wow just wow that’s brilliant…

#159674 Reply
    ajn

I drove that car through that stream, looks easy enough, however the from and too are off set, with a slight bend to the stream slightly deeper to the left, obviously stones & slippery green crap in there too, the car is in the water in that pic..

Mrs Ajn seemed to enjoy it though😁

#159675 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yet another reason, if anymore were needed, to get a BEV ajn, even a cynic like you must now be convinced.

#159676 Reply
    ajn

Tbh Brydo I’d have to see it for myself..

That car could be adapted for that, sealed up, in through the boot, out with the silicon gun 😳

Those people are experts remember, and they got to boost the hype..

However very impressive..

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Zappers in flood water/ or any water
Your information: