Windows

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121067 Reply
    Brad

Ordered a bmw gran coupe 3 weeks ago. Chose the privacy glass option. Motability are asking the dealership why it’s necessary for it.  What’s other people’s experience with adding privacy glass/ black windows?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121068 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

Fitted as a manufacturer’s option it shouldn’t cause any issues, aftermarket fitting another kettle of fish altogether.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#121069 Reply
    72 dudes

Yes but what Brad is saying, it looks as though Motability are questioning the factory fit option.

Not sure why it’s anything to do with them. Nobody questioned our choice of options which were rear view camera and winter pack.

#121070 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

Quite agree, never heard of factory fitted options being queried, presumably this is a no cost option or at the clients expense ?

#121072 Reply
    Brad

Paid £300 for the windows and they wanted to know if it’s necessary and wanted to know if it’s a medical reason for the tinted windows

#121073 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

Ok understood, the only thing I can think of, if it’s required for medical reasons, is that a grant might be applicable, otherwise I don’t see reason for their involvement

#121074 Reply
    Belfast4

The medical stuff you keep in the back seat is expensive and you don’t want people seeing it.

#121075 Reply
    Gary

Brad, is your AP being paid by a grant? that’s the only reason I can see that Motability should ask the question, otherwise its really got nothing do do with them.

#121077 Reply
    Michael

Hi, Could it be more of a sales problem when you hand it back in, maybe other people would not want black rear windows, so as motability own the car and not any one of us, yes they have a vested interest in the car, cheers Michael

#121079 Reply
    simpleman

If you paid the AP yourself and not by a Grant i dont see the problem. Some of us need tinted windows to keep prying eyes out what we have in the back.

#121080 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

@Michael I’d say it would have the opposite effect and make the car more desirable to the aftermarket. As would most option we pay for and add to motability cars.

It’s almost like someone at motability isn’t aware of there own policy and is questioning the option. Unless as Gary states it’s been paid for with a grant then you’d presume you wouldn’t be able to fund options yourself.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#121082 Reply
    TonyD

The Motability position is that you need ‘their’ permission to add optional extras to ‘their’ car.

#121083 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

This is what motability say. It seems to be the understanding of factory fitted optional extras allowed and after market accessories need permission. It keeps cropping up a lot at the moment.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#121087 Reply
    Mike Cooper

I don’t understand it,there are plenty of cars with tinted rear windows as standard on the scheme.

#121088 Reply
    TonyD

Also, in addition to my previous post; if they are not authorised then they’re not insured.

Non-standard equipment or modifications.
    This means any optional extras, audio or other equipment fitted to the car, which are not essential to enable you to use the vehicle. If you have fitted essential equipment without agreement from us or and RSAM, this will not be covered.

#121089 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Just wonder if Brad made any comments about the privacy glass to the dealer while ordering the car?

I know it should not matter but it brings to mind when I ordered my third Motability car in 2014 and mentioned to the dealer that my license has a code on it for adapted brakes even though I’ve never had any braking adaption added to my previous two cars.

The adaption in mind is a button/lever that helps press the hand-brake button on the lever but after trying it with my first car it was agreed between me and the dealer of my first car I did not need that adaption as I have a strong right-hand.

Pointed this out to Motability then and on my second car but said nothing on my third except to the dealer that it was agreed in the past it wasn’t needed.

Anyway about whispers to dealer out of the blue a week after I ordered the car I had a three way conference call between myself, Motability and DVLA and to this day I’m not sure what the call was about other than the handbrake adaption but when I asked if that’s what is about they just said it was general call but never had that before or since.

Careless whispers.😁

#121091 Reply
    72 dudes

@TonyD

No, that’s after market accessories referred to there, not factory fit options which are paid for at the time of the order.

#121092 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

I’m shocking the bmw gran coupe doesn’t come with standard privacy glass.

Personally I wouldn’t pay £300 to have it fitted on a lease car.

#121094 Reply
    Lord Muc

Phil,

Yup i agree with you, i dont normally add anything to a lease car, but I had a private quote of £200 plus vat. So the £300, as factory fit wasn’t too bad, it swallows up a bit of the discount, but for a £1000 AP. It’s just about ok.

#121099 Reply
    TonyD

Another aspect then..

The Motabilty car needs to meet the requirements of the disabled person.
    Let’s consider a ‘basic’ car to which you wish to add LED headlights, a panoramic roof, leather upholstery, special paint, larger alloys, and a few other items. Maybe these extras could add up to £8,000 (for example).

1.  Are these extras necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person, for whom the car is considered appropriate – and signed for as being so?

2.  Although paid for by the disabled person, why should RSAM insure the extras at no further cost if they are not essential to benefit the disabled person?

#121100 Reply
    Tharg

+Have had two Skoda Superbs on the scheme. Both came with tinted rear windows as part of AP, at least, I think they did because I certainly didn’t pay extra for them. No questions from Motability on subject.

#121104 Reply
    Ianfca

When I have insured a car I have never been asked what factory fitted options are on the car. MB can only benefit from options fitted as they make the car more desirable when selling on and at no cost to them.

When choosing a car you have a set of basic requirements that have to be met. Once this criteria is fulfilled it is a case of what your personal budget will allow to include any additional luxuries. We pay a lot for these cars and need to be happy and comfortable for the 3 years we have use of them.

#121113 Reply
    TonyD

As stated by Ianfca, “…it is a case of what your personal budget will allow to include any additional luxuries.”

True, but if they’re not authorised then they’re not insured.

On a total loss claim, Motability will replace the vehicle on a like-for-like basis, including authorised extras. If they’re not authorised, they will only replace the vehicle as per the (current equivalent) standard specification vehicle – as is the case for a ‘normal’ PCH contract.

You cannot expect a third-party insurer, in this case RSAM, to insure unauthorised equipment at zero cost.

#121120 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

The thing is it’s not quite the same for us because if a car is written off we are then free to choose any car any make as long as it’s on the scheme.
    we don’t have to wait for a direct replacement with basic spec.

Even If we just decided to change cars because of our needs changing we wouldn’t get the cost of any extras back anyway.

#121121 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

Lord muc

factory tinted glass is way better then stick on tints anyway.
    Stick on tints can be scratched or damaged if not careful with it.

we’ve been lucky in the past as in the vehicle we chose came with all the kit we’d need and more as standard.

#121128 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Factory Tints, no extra cost.

Factory Tints, no extra cost.

As for insurance not paying out for extras that were not authorised, if your car is written off you only get back a percentage of the AP Pro Rata and never anything for the extras on the car so RSAM not insuring the extras doesn’t come in to it at all.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Windows
Your information: