why does advance payment change so much when car prices don't change

This topic contains 53 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisK 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117067 Reply

martino

Firstly i am great full for my motability car (that i pay for ) before people start saying i am ungrateful i just think we are being ripped off .

I’m probably showing my ignorance here, why does advance payment change so much from one quarter to another when car prices don’t change in that time.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>made up example </p>
    So if a car is £25000 in q1 with £500 A/P ,

Then in q2 the same car costs the same £25000 but yet  the A/P jumps to £2000

How can Motability justice the increase in A/P is it just to make as much profit as they can at disabled customers expense.

I really would like Motability to explain the jump in adanced payments

Most of Motability customers need to use them because they need cars adapted(at extra cost ) they need bigger, wider cars ect,  I do not think Motability care about their disabled custom

Why cant Motabiliy be run as a non profit to help their vulnerable customers

I also wounder if a complains petition was sent to someone the government / or the Queen (is she not the paterent or something )

Do I feel better after getting that of my chest NO!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117358 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Not hypocrisy at all, the VAT dodging scheme is there to use but I’m now having my doubts whether it’s fit for purpose.

I don’t agree that so much money is being made from disabled people.

#117363 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I don’t agree that so much money is being made from disabled people.

I understand that you are new to Motability and are looking for your first car on the Scheme but please understand that the vast majority, I believe the last published figure was 98%, are happy with it.

I understand that we have seen some price rises but this is the way it goes, there are still good deals to be had. The price rises were expected and those of us with lengthy experience of the Scheme know that while Motability are not perfect and the way they work sometimes have us scratching our head, the Scheme is invaluable, it is generally a force for good. I am perfectly happy for the profits to go to help people who require assistance to access the Scheme.

You have knowledge, please impart in in a way that assists other members of the forum and park the constant Motability bashing, you have made your point. Let’s move on in a constructive way.

#117368 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

@WMC, this would not be my first Motability car. I used to be on the scheme but came off it due to having a better choice privately. So far my experience with Motability has not been good so I unfortunately fit into the 2%.

If they had to compete against the private leasing companies I’m sure they would not be in business for long, if my experience with them was anything to go by.

Yes there are some good deals to be had but conversely there are some bad ones too.

Q3 stinks of profiteering compared with what is really happening out there at the moment.

#117375 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

Don’t worry Elliot I’m sure your repeated slating of the scheme will keep me and a lot of others busy posting humorous and sarcastic replies.
    As for your Tiggy reply have you ever thought of a career in standup? Hilarious? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tiguan fan boy

#117378 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Q3 stinks of profiteering compared with what is really happening out there at the moment.

What is really happening out there is that demand totally outstrips supply, have you any idea how hard it is to restart a just in time car production line in the 21st century.

#117380 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

Why does anyone think Q3 would be full of bargains? or even a price freeze.

You either wait until next quarter and keep everything crossed or look for the best deal going with the choice available.

Or sign up to one of these amazing like for like private deals that are everywhere for cars we don’t want?

Tiguan fan boy

#117382 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

There are plenty of cars out there if you look for them.

However the pro-active companies are taking advantage of this situation.

#117390 Reply

Lord Muc

Wmc, you say demand outstrips supply, yet during the height of covid, the press were showing drone shots of airfields and ports that were full of unsold cars, and brands asking for government help to save them. Yes 7 months if you want a MB CLA, but where have all the cars in fields gone.

#117392 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There are plenty of cars out there if you look for them. However the pro-active companies are taking advantage of this situation.

Mazda, made in Japan and MG, made in China are the only two I can think of. The European production will take an eternity to catch up, these plants are run so cleanly, they operate at 100% constantly in order to maximise productivity. The manufacturer will then run advertising, put on offers through retail to match the sales to the productivity output.  The industry is upside down with regards to supply and demand, throw in a global pandemic and production shutdown and the thing implodes. While Dealerships want to sell cars, head office are not offering any promotions or any incentives as they try to get production to delivery times back on target.

#117399 Reply

Lord Muc

I agree there is a pent up demand as we come out of lockdown, especially in the used market, but as you say, the supply chain is not there yet or very slow, due to social distancing, cleaning and such, but that won’t last forever, dealers with staff on furlough will have to start to make choices, as they will have to contribute soon. So are brands making hay while  the sun shines on the back of motobility, they seem like a soft touch.

#117404 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

So are brands making hay while the sun shines on the back of motobility, they seem like a soft touch.

I don’t believe so, just lowering the discount offered to Motability in order to slow demand.

#117413 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wmc, you say demand outstrips supply, yet during the height of covid, the press were showing drone shots of airfields and ports that were full of unsold cars, and brands asking for government help to save them. Yes 7 months if you want a MB CLA, but where have all the cars in fields gone.

If they were in a field, they would have already been sold. They do not make cars to sit in a field anymore, that stopped after the last global financial crisis. Most every car sold now is manufactured after the order is confirmed, there are some built for predicted demand but not many.

#117415 Reply

rox
    Participant

Had a chat with the manager at honda only a little bit ago about the scheme as the car had risen £600 in Ap and he was for the same money you would not get such a great deal considering all things that are included..

Even honda’s own deals would cost more and they was offering 0% at that time as well..

I looked around and i could not get anywhere near on the same car..

What i never see, i do not miss and i will never spend no more than £25 a month towards the ap and i can find a car that’s suitable, no car is perfect and yes sometimes i don’t get all the options i’d like. but still I’m very happy user and appreicate the scheme.

Ap’s are rising but also honda did raise the price of the car i got recently as well when they did the refresh my20

The scheme might not be for everyone, especilly if you under 25 or work away from home and your partner is claimant or you want a car over the cap set to stop the scheme being abused.  But there is no point complaining about what it offers. complain to the dwp that the allowance is not keeping up with prices of new cars and thus the choice gets more and more limited every year..

#117418 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

@WMC, take a trip to Grimsby and see the thousands of cars at the docks. I’m not exaggerating either.

I’ve never seen it like that before.

#117433 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@WMC, take a trip to Grimsby and see the thousands of cars at the docks. I’m not exaggerating either. I’ve never seen it like that before.

That’s because Grimsby is a car handling port, big ships drop off their loads then little ships take them onto their destination. The Factories do not have room to store the finished cars so they ship them out ASAP to Ports like Grimsby. It will be full to bursting as the Dealerships have been closed and not taking deliveries.

Have a look next time you are there and they will all be left hand drive.

#117439 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

I did look and they were right hand drive and various manufacturers.

I have a cousin who works for an Audi dealership. He said to me a couple of weeks ago that they had lots of unsold new vehicles they were struggling to shift.

Same story with BMW. Loads of cars they need to shift, unfortunately it’s the ones not on the scheme.

#117442 Reply

rox
    Participant

True same at southhampton, i rememeber seeing a huge ship arrive and a good few got dropped off  most where french cars then others got loaded. Mainly range rovers and minis if i rememeber. Was a while ago.

Some will be hire cars as well as fleet cars. Is a place off the m180 at sunny scunny where they dropped to be picked up as well by car transporters .. The car industry is huge and was a documentry about ships i saw and one was a new mega car ship more like a new car taxi around the world.. Off it will go to amercica then mexico for a pickup..drop off.. crazy really.. shows us the global world we live in..

#117535 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

One thing I have to ask, where do they get this “98% are happy with the scheme”?

I have never been asked to complete any kind of survey at any point!

#117558 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

Rox said: “But there is no point complaining about what it offers. complain to the dwp that the allowance is not keeping up with prices of new cars and thus the choice gets more and more limited every year…”

Agree 100% Rox.

Could the scheme be better? Probably. Is it value for money? Definitely for the vast majority of available users.

As for being ripped off on AP, or Motability looking to fleece the disabled, thats a laugh. No other country in the world offers what we get, yet we piss and moan about it like spoilt kids. The only fleecing going on is the woeful increases in the DWP payments – see Rox above. There will be a complex algorithm used to determine pricing, but its subject to so many external factors, manufacturers discounts, price increases, residual values, cost of servicing, number of vehicles on the scheme etc.

I would like to see lower AP’s and more choice, and at times its very frustrating, but I also understand why it is the way it is.  For me, its a no-brainer, I’d be £1000’s more getting the same car.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#117563 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i agree with abercol and rox, the biggest problem is that car prices are going up faster than the allowances so the ap is bound to increase. yes you can find the odd cash deal cheaper but mostly on pre reg or ex demo cars.

none of the dealers i went to this time had any of the cars i was interested in in stock all had to be factory ordered. i always ask as i am happy to compromise on most things so long as the car is comfortable.

so i dont know what all these cars elliot says are parked up around the place they must be not on motability.

#117564 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

The PIP rates are not set by the DWP so complaining there would be futile.

The government sets the rates so you could complain to your MP but that would just get you a “I sympathise with you, isn’t it terrible” blah, blah, blah letter and Joe public think you should be grateful for what you got because he/she works hard to pay for your car.

Sorry but that’s how I see things.

#117576 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

One thing I have to ask, where do they get this “98% are happy with the scheme”? I have never been asked to complete any kind of survey at any point!

I am fed up of getting surveys from Motability.

I have had about four already this year.

I wonder if they just send them to the same people every time?

Mind you, some of the questions are worded so it is more or less impossible to give a negative response – as a rough example, ‘Do you think leasing a vehicle from Motability is better value than leasing a vehicle privately when the whole package is considered?’

I think everyone (bar Elliot) would tick the ‘agree’ or ‘strongly agree’ boxes.

#117600 Reply

NewYork1
    Participant

For me I can handle a fluctuation of maybe a couple £100 or so. Things change pound goes down something somewhere causes something else to get more expensive etc, etc. But when prices are changing by the thousands over a three month period it does seem to be outside the normal realm of economics.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#117614 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I couldn’t have put it better myself @newyork1. The only reason I can think of for the wildly varying AP’s is that when they’re low, it’s for reasons such as a manufacturer needing to sell more for their targets or a model is nearing its end of life and they need to use parts already covered by purchase orders and when they’re high, it’s because they need to stall sales on a particular model. The second one seems daft, you’d think, but it can happen for a number of reasons, such as the factories tooling up for other models, sales targets already hit, etc.
    What I have realised in my short time with the scheme is that that is how it is. So it’s best to have a list of possible cars for your next term and to not get upset if the AP of your main choice becomes out of reach or justification. Expect the unexpected or better still, expect all AP’s to double and then rejoice when they only go up by 50%. 🤣😂

My mantra is ‘I’m happy to be here and I’m happy to stay’ even if I do have a moan from time to time. We’re all allowed that small luxury. 👍👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117619 Reply

rox
    Participant

For me I can handle a fluctuation of maybe a couple £100 or so. Things change pound goes down something somewhere causes something else to get more expensive etc, etc. But when prices are changing by the thousands over a three month period it does seem to be outside the normal realm of economics.

Thats when you have to select other options over that car that you set your sights on getting.. or pay the extra or try and arrange a deal with dealer, so you can get that specific car.

The car i just picked up i test drove back in sep 2019 and I could not order till jan (as i was sick of doing winter test drives) it went up £600 in the two quarters from £999 to £1599, which i just could not afford the ap on, it’s was above my top end for an ap.

If the dealer had not given me the £200, off the ap, i would of had to walk and not order the car and get something else. I do agrree some changes are crazy but thats the actual value of them in 3 years thats getting less and less right now. So the ap is more and more..

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
Reply To: why does advance payment change so much when car prices don't change
Your information: