Whatever happened to Brexit?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  POPS 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #111208 Reply

brydo

We are now into April and its likely there will be no negotiations until this pandemic is over. What are we looking at, could we survive on WTO rules, will we ask for an extension?

I think the obvious option is to agree an extension possibly to next March to give both sides a chance to come to an agreement. I think the German’s will be very keen to get a deal.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #111210 Reply

joss
    Participant

There needs to be an extension IMHO. The default WTO just isn’t going to cut it.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#111221 Reply

Briggsy
    Participant

An extension. surely and for a couple of years too..this is a hole of gargantuan proportions and to go it alone would be folly.

#111242 Reply

Tharg

Reckon it’ll need more than a few months. The economies of Europe (and I include the UK in that, geographically at least) are going to be pretty much wrecked. Will takes ages to put them back together. In the motor industry, I suggest we order VAG management to get it going again.

#111807 Reply

brydo

As a result of the virus are we in a better negotiating position now than before.

We are in a dire financial position as a result of covid 19 (the 19 comes from 2019 which is when this strain was discovered, it is NOT the 19th strain of the virus) but countries like Spain and Italy are much worse off than us.

Will the virus make people realise that we are all in this together and come to a fair and amicable agreement? We will soon find out as no extension has been agreed so the clock is ticking.

#111810 Reply

POPS

I hope that Covid 19 has made the government realise that we need to maintain close ties with Europe, as this pandemic has shown how dependent we are going to be going forward on the good will and cooperation of our neighbours.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Whatever happened to Brexit?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: