Whatever happened to Brexit?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #111208 Reply
    brydo

We are now into April and its likely there will be no negotiations until this pandemic is over. What are we looking at, could we survive on WTO rules, will we ask for an extension?

I think the obvious option is to agree an extension possibly to next March to give both sides a chance to come to an agreement. I think the German’s will be very keen to get a deal.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #127924 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Hey Guys and Gal. I have been following this thread with interest. There are some great comments on the topic. @Georgie your a Gal that wont take no Slava.👍

Keep posting folks.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#127928 Reply
    Brydo

The thing about getting a deal, or no deal, is that BJ can’t lose, in the short term. If we think of Brexit as an English “thing” then whether we get a deal, or not, is immaterial. There will be many English voters happy either way and as BJ only needs to keep English voters happy, especially in the north, then he is in a win win scenario. I say this in the “short term” as if a no deal turns out to be a disaster nothing will save him.

#127943 Reply
    Tharg

@Daf – well said – “divide and conquer” really sums up the whole fiasco. And the process will continue as Boris does what his masters tell him. Deal? No deal? Irrelevant. Whatever happens, us Mk 1 citizens will be stuffed.

#128162 Reply
    Brydo

Hearing some encouraging noises about a possible deal, maybe there is light at the end of the channel tunnel lol.

Multiple covid vaccine coming through, an end to brexit, maybe next year will be worth living.

#128456 Reply
    Brydo

I cant believe how little info we are getting on Brexit, for something as important as this i was/am expecting much more detail.

#128459 Reply
    Chris

Hi Brydo

it’s all to do with US elections, we’ll be bombarded with Brexit stuff from Wednesday onwards…hopefully positive!

#128462 Reply
    Brydo

Chris I hope your right, I really enjoy detail and we have been sadly lacking in that recently.

#128485 Reply
    Brydo

rumours going about saying the UK has caved on fisheries.

#128486 Reply
    Georgie

Telegraph headline from 3 hours ago said “Brussels caves on UK fishing demand”.  How recent are your ‘rumours’, Brydo?

#128500 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Can you come to a deal with an estranged partner. Who wants to make you suffer for leaving them.

In the eu’s case no deal means no more money from the uk.

If they give us a good deal then others in the eu 27 will complain and may leave as they then will want a trade deal.

So the eu is in catch 22 they need us to stay, it’s the only way out for them or to trick us into some bad deal.. but that didn’t work either.. So they could set an example of us so no one will ever dare to follow.

right now the clock ticks and the eu will soon be out of time.. My problem has always been the polictical union not the economic zone. We better of being masters of our own destiny and the fish in our waters.

#128523 Reply
    Brydo

Fairley recent Georgie but rumours are that, just rumours.
    I am looking online just now and I can’t see anything to back it up so maybe it was not accurate.

We will find out soon enough as time is running out, on both sides, to get a deal.

#128526 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Whatever deal is done, it will be expressed in a way intended to persuade both sides that they have won the argument. Therefore it will be incomprehensible to the general population and will be endlessly debated by lawyers.

#129276 Reply
    Georgie

I see the Brexit Deal fiasco has been stretched for yet another week.  But I think this really is it – Barnier andCo. have finally lost all patience with us and I don’t blame them.

So it’s going to be Crap Deal or No Deal.

#129292 Reply
    Brydo

I hope there will be a deal and I hope its a good one. I would hate to think we have gone through all this turmoil for a crap deal. They say 90% of the deal is agreed with the “level playing field” and “fisheries” outstanding. Although fisheries is politically important I would hate to think we missed getting a deal because we couldn’t find common ground on it.

The level playing field is something much more important, supporting our industries, whenever required, is much more important and should not be traded.

#129298 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Let’s plan for a no deal scenario, I think Brydo, but like you I hope that we will get one, but being realistic, it may not be by 21 January?

I see that we are drifting back to negativity about the UK again, not necessarily on this site, but elsewhere –  ‘ your Country needs you ‘ is laughed at, but some people need to think about what Kennedy said ‘ ask not what your country can do for you , ask what you can do for your country’ or very similar?

I believe firmly in the glass half full approach and in the interest of balance, I’ll go back to a previous post and look at the potential negatives for the EU?

As I see it, if there is no deal, the French will have plenty of time on their hands at the ports, as the EU has apparently favoured Dutch & Belgian ports for receiving Ireland’s trucks etc. and they won’t have our fish to keep them busy either!

What next, .OH yeah, the French and Spanish farmers will join the dockers, & likely block the ports and the Gendarmerie will have to put out their Gauloises , and get the Water Cannons out – yup it’s going to be very interesting times, as the Euro takes a nosedive at the same time.

Where are the German and French car manufacturers going to stockpile the thousands of cars and trucks due originally for sale in the U.K., but no longer affordable because of reciprocal tariffs, – can anyone see a fabulous opportunity here for Nissan,and Ford and even MG and other manufacturers with production in the U.K. to fill the void?

Then we have the Hoteliers in Europe, especially on the Costas, with the huge amount of lost UK trade , and of course there is also the trade from the now redundant German car workers – what is the French and Spanish translation for ‘bankruptcy?

How the hell are our Hotels going to cope with the increase in people holidaying at home again for the next year or so?

There is a downside of course , the full English breakfasts may become three quarter English for a while, whilst our farmers produce / make up any shortfalls of foods from the EU,

By the way, all of the air corridors will remain fully open under international agreement as they are NOT under EU jurisdiction.

Airport delays initially will happen, but how do the other hundreds of non EU countries cope with visiting in the EU – very well of course!

Project Fear will be consigned to history, BoJo as long as he can survive the Coronavirus crisis, will reign supreme (as the EU come back in 2021 with their begging bowl) and become the most popular PM since Winston Churchill, and certain people will still be selling negatively but only to those with the time to stop to listen.

A bit ‘tongue in cheek ‘ my friend , but my point is that we need to be positive, it’s not all one sided!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Mike 700.
    #129315 Reply
    Brydo

Dominic Cummings has gone, how long before BJ follows him?

#129320 Reply
    Georgie

Cummings has gone now, rather than waiting out the year like he originally intended, because he knows Boris is going to cave next week and agree to anything rather than risk No Deal.  He wants to be well out of it when that happens.

Lorries queued up for days on both sides of the Channel while we struggle to get Import/Export Permits (of which there are limited numbers) is bad enough, but not having at least some kind of EU Deal in place when we’re relying on flying Vaccines in from the EU from January might have tipped the balance.  Bo-Jo cannot survive losing our access to those vaccines.

Our Bluff has been called.

#129335 Reply
    rox
    Participant

There so many planes not being used, and they are being converted and used for goods over people for critical supplies.

So again I think alot is scaremongering, as the days move closer to the uk being a sovereign nation again  there is only one winner in this, however one see’s it. Just like we getting used to the new normal, we will get used to wto if that is what happens. A good deal from the eu is very unlikely imo and if then one think’s that the only option is to then remain in the eu. We are not then a free nation, technically we have already left the eu and are in a transition period. It’s over four years now since we had the vote and a term of parliment is 5 years. So we need to get it done regardless of if we get a deal or not.. the date is set. it cannot be delayed any longer.

#129343 Reply
    joss
    Participant

My son who works for a well know super market chain, in one of it’s huge warehouses has told me that they are in talks with the NHS. To store and distribute the vaccine for Covid 19.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#129433 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

as the days move closer to the uk being a sovereign nation again

The UK was a sovereign nation before it joined the EU, and always was during member ship so there is no change there.

#129626 Reply
    Georgie

It would appear that any Deal we get by the end of the week (if any) is down to Fishing, which is curious because the Conservatives have never really cared a fig about fishing before: Fishing accounts for about 0.2% of our Economy yet we’re apparently risking our Financial Services (was the 2nd largest in the World, employed c.1.2 million people/4% British workforce, earned c. £70 billion a year in Government tax receipts – now decimated due to Brexit), our car manufacturing industry (mostly reliant on political assurances or ‘bribes’ due to Brexit), Chemical and Medical Industries, etc. to protect our Sovereign Right to catch fish – the vast majority of which actually gets exported to the EU.  At least it was.  From January 1st 2021 we will be Trading under new rules, be they WTO (10% export tariff and two days worth of additional paperwork before we can put it on the ships – not exactly ‘fresh’ on arrival and there literally is ‘plenty more fish in the sea’ when it comes to sourcing actual fresh fish in the EU) or whatever we get from any Toilet Paper ‘Deal’ we might just scrape together before then.

This leads me to believe that the big fuss is but un hareng rouge to deflect our attention toward the Wicked EU and away from the current state of our ‘special relationship’ with the USA in regard to the Irish Border problem and any UK/US Trade Deal.  President Biden identifies as Irish-American and he won’t accept any Deal that negatively impacts Ireland – such as a Hard Border between Britain and the EU in Ireland.

#130079 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Breaking News.

Sour grapes will attract a 50% tariff.

#130126 Reply
    Georgie

I just wish somebody could produce a list of even ten things that are actually going to be better for Britain due to Brexit.  Not things that were pledged four years ago, or things that might happen if , but Facts that we know will definitely benefit Britain.

#130128 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Georgie, if you haven’t worked it out by now, you never will.

I could equally ask what are ten things that would benefit Britain if we had stayed in the EU.  Neither of us can predict the future.

#130131 Reply
    Brydo

Some positive talk coming from the EU does this mean BJ has caved?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
Reply To: Whatever happened to Brexit?
Your information: