the joys of living in a “council house”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144135 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last oct i moved into what used to be a council bungalow now by an arms length housing association.

basically the back garden if you can call it that consists of 8m x 12m of uneven grass and grass is being generous with a path down the centre from the back door to the back hedge. the left hand side is relatively flat. but the right hand side slopes away from the bungalow and from the path to next doors fence. the bottom right hand corner is approx 18 inches lower than the path.

being a good boy i wrote and asked for permission to lift the grass on the right hand side level the top half of the right hand side and step the bottom half put down weedproof membrane and gravel. build some raised beds.

boy what a palaver i unleashed, got a letter yesterday with a list of conditions and requirements the killer being that all work must be carried out by a qualified contractor etc etc.

you would have thought that they would be grateful someone wants to improve it.

Viewing 11 replies - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158733 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

first raised bed done tanked out using compost bags and the bottom covered with weedproof membrane to allow drainage. covering the inside with old compost bags helps the wood last longer.

the chair is on its last legs ajn the spindle in the x frame on each side is failing i am looking for a nut and bolt to replace it with otherwise i am afraid its done for. mind its 10+ so doesnt owe me owt. been looking for a replacement but nothing seems as sturdy.

just put 6 bags of compost in and its not even a third full lol.

#158734 Reply
    ajn

Loving the raised bed mitch, hot today though for such work🥵,

Those chairs are great, I’ve had mine sat in a river, fishing for trout lol, it’s been covered in cement, cracked it off hosed over washing up liquid came up great, used it camping for years too, now ours comes out in the summer only these days, great chair for enjoying a cider as the sun fades..

#158735 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

big floppy bush hat and lots of ice pop breaks lol.

#158736 Reply
    ajn

#158737 Reply
    ajn

Can only find them in green now Mitch, the newer red ones seem to have the soft arms, material type..

#158738 Reply
    ajn

#158739 Reply
    ajn

Hopefully your trusty chair holds out till the jobs finished, or Boyle it like you said..

#158760 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

thanks for the links but all gone unfortunately, even tried fleabay. the search continues, going to search the toolbox and see what i can cobble together.

#158767 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

its already scorching here so i dont think much is going to happen today as the next job is more earth moving.

#158769 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Boyle ?? Meant bolt 🤣🤣a  @Georgie special ..</p>

#158786 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ahh maybe i will go out today, the resupply of factor 50+ has just arrived lol.

Viewing 11 replies - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
Reply To: the joys of living in a “council house”
Your information: