the joys of living in a “council house”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144135 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last oct i moved into what used to be a council bungalow now by an arms length housing association.

basically the back garden if you can call it that consists of 8m x 12m of uneven grass and grass is being generous with a path down the centre from the back door to the back hedge. the left hand side is relatively flat. but the right hand side slopes away from the bungalow and from the path to next doors fence. the bottom right hand corner is approx 18 inches lower than the path.

being a good boy i wrote and asked for permission to lift the grass on the right hand side level the top half of the right hand side and step the bottom half put down weedproof membrane and gravel. build some raised beds.

boy what a palaver i unleashed, got a letter yesterday with a list of conditions and requirements the killer being that all work must be carried out by a qualified contractor etc etc.

you would have thought that they would be grateful someone wants to improve it.

Viewing 21 replies - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158733 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

first raised bed done tanked out using compost bags and the bottom covered with weedproof membrane to allow drainage. covering the inside with old compost bags helps the wood last longer.

the chair is on its last legs ajn the spindle in the x frame on each side is failing i am looking for a nut and bolt to replace it with otherwise i am afraid its done for. mind its 10+ so doesnt owe me owt. been looking for a replacement but nothing seems as sturdy.

just put 6 bags of compost in and its not even a third full lol.

#158734 Reply
    ajn

Loving the raised bed mitch, hot today though for such work🥵,

Those chairs are great, I’ve had mine sat in a river, fishing for trout lol, it’s been covered in cement, cracked it off hosed over washing up liquid came up great, used it camping for years too, now ours comes out in the summer only these days, great chair for enjoying a cider as the sun fades..

#158735 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

big floppy bush hat and lots of ice pop breaks lol.

#158736 Reply
    ajn

#158737 Reply
    ajn

Can only find them in green now Mitch, the newer red ones seem to have the soft arms, material type..

#158738 Reply
    ajn

#158739 Reply
    ajn

Hopefully your trusty chair holds out till the jobs finished, or Boyle it like you said..

#158760 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

thanks for the links but all gone unfortunately, even tried fleabay. the search continues, going to search the toolbox and see what i can cobble together.

#158767 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

its already scorching here so i dont think much is going to happen today as the next job is more earth moving.

#158769 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Boyle ?? Meant bolt 🤣🤣a  @Georgie special ..</p>

#158786 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ahh maybe i will go out today, the resupply of factor 50+ has just arrived lol.

#160431 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

its been 2 wks since i updated and these are the latest photos 5 raised beds now built but short on compost so not quite finished. one more to build by the fence on the gravel grid.

the gravel grid is almost complete just waiting for a delivery of new supplies and then the fun of getting 2and a half tons of gravel in here. and i thought the compost was hard work.

#160432 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i reckon another 45 bags of compost 60litres each will be needed before planting can begin.

#160438 Reply
    joss

Looking good

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160516 Reply
    ajn

Great stuff..👏

#163164 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok another month has gone and some planting has happened and another bed built and painted.

the hedge is a monster its taken 2 days to trim and the top still needs doing but the green bin is full to overflowing. just have to be patient now until the bare root roses arrive late oct they should finish the planting unless i decide to do some bulbs, tulips daffs etc. then its the tiles and gravel just waiting for the prices to settle due to the shortages theyve gone mad at the moment. the half round bars i used for the square bed in the corner have doubled in price since i bought them.

#163197 Reply
    Georgie

That’s coming along champion, Mitch.  I love the ‘powder blue’ raised beds.

We had a large hedge taken out along the side of the drive a couple of weeks back and as it’s a bank with a low wall behind it, we’re planning to put in some easy-care stuff like lavender, and maybe a couple of Japanese anemones at the back.

#163200 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

unfortunately georgie, the hedge isnt mine, about 6 inches into the hedge is a chain link fence that is the boundary and the main part of the hedge is the other side. i am going to cut it further and further back until i am effectively over the fence. then look at putting a panel fence up then i only have to trim anything over the top. but thats a job for next year lol.

#163708 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

out this morning strimming the front “grass” and a bloke comes along and starts measuring the communal grass the other side of the path. turns out hes measuring to see if they can get parking spaces between the trees or if they will need to cut some down. but apparently they are going to put in off road parking at some point. some of which will be right in front of my bungalow.

so if it happens i may be able to get an electric charger as it would be close enough to run a cable accross “my” grass to the parking space.

so possible double bonus, parking and charging and hopefully the trees with the dinner plate sized leaves that block the drains will disapear.

mind it will probably take 3 years planning and 3 to build.

#163727 Reply
    joss

I hope it comes to fruition @mitch. It would be very handy for you.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#163735 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

would also move the car out of the pigeon poop zone as the trees overhang the verge where we have to park at the mo.

Viewing 21 replies - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
Reply To: the joys of living in a “council house”
Your information: