the joys of living in a “council house”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144135 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last oct i moved into what used to be a council bungalow now by an arms length housing association.

basically the back garden if you can call it that consists of 8m x 12m of uneven grass and grass is being generous with a path down the centre from the back door to the back hedge. the left hand side is relatively flat. but the right hand side slopes away from the bungalow and from the path to next doors fence. the bottom right hand corner is approx 18 inches lower than the path.

being a good boy i wrote and asked for permission to lift the grass on the right hand side level the top half of the right hand side and step the bottom half put down weedproof membrane and gravel. build some raised beds.

boy what a palaver i unleashed, got a letter yesterday with a list of conditions and requirements the killer being that all work must be carried out by a qualified contractor etc etc.

you would have thought that they would be grateful someone wants to improve it.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #144139 Reply
    joss

Your one and only mistake was asking the council in the first place. Most would have just done the deed without notifying the council.

You did what you thought was the right thing. I would have probably done the same TBH If IΒ  had a council house.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#144165 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

My HA are usually pretty good.Β  When we moved here about 8 years ago the front gardens were a mess, the old chap who’d lived here previously had a huge amount of plants in large pots etc. most of which had either broken or the plants had just spread everywhere.

As I’m not a garden person I asked if we could clear them out, put a small fence round and fill the 2 plots (both about 4m x 3m) with gravel.Β  Took a couple of weeks to get a reply but yes, no problem as long as it’s neat and tidy.Β  All I need to do now is spray anything green that appears with a mixture of rock salt and waterΒ  πŸ™‚

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy πŸ™‚

#144166 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

after 13 minutes of my life wasted in various telephone queues/press 1 now etc i managed to get to speak to a person. not the one that signed the letter as they were off on flexitime/hol/scive and wouldnt be back till tuesday. he was flummoxed and kept asking it is just garden landscaping your proposing isnt it.

it seems the qualified/certified tradesman bit is for building/gas/electricarry work and someones just done a cut and paste job and sent it out.

i can diy and all i have to do is send them a plan of what i want to do etc and it should be a formality.

i got the impression from him that your first thought applys joss.

#144172 Reply
    joss

@mitch Well good luck, someone else at the council has a bit of common sense!

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#144419 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

well ive drawn up a scale plan and sent them screen shots of the materials to be used and explained the benefits of what i propose not just for me but for future tenants. as the “lawn” as it is could be termed dangerous for anyone with compromised mobility.

anyway ive ordered a couple of raised beds/planters made from sleepers and a bunch of decking planks and 2 x 2 to construct others and if push comes to shove i will just make them of a size to be portable rather than a fixture.

at least i will have a project or two to keep me amused while we await the response.

i should have adopted the better to apologise later rather than ask permission and be disappointed.

#144500 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

well its going to be a long project lol ive just finished one side of a 4 sided bed made from half round 2m poles and its taken 3 times as long as back in the day. very discouraging but i have to say there is something enjoyable about making something from scratch.

#144501 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

lunch and pills 2 and try again.

#144594 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the raised beds from wickes have arrived and the delivery guy very kindly carried them around the back for me and the decking board from bq should arrive later. so its all systems go lol.

now a question, all the wood has already been treated so is good to go, but this time for some reason i fancy painting them rather than just having the wood colour. i am thinking cuprinol seagrass.

anyone have any thoughts opinions.

#144596 Reply
    ajn

Whatever you decide mitch, paint or not sounds great any chance that any breaks you have take a pic of your project. 🌻

#144757 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok the jigsaw pieces have arrived just got to paint the white wood and then assemble. lol

not to mention digup the grass etc.

#144881 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok yesterday i put the first coat of paint on the half roll planters 4 sides and the parts of the other planter that were on the floor in the photos. the other one ive not unpacked yet. that took me the best part of 5 hours in 15 20 minute bursts followed by a sitdown lol.

boy am i broken or what, back in the day that would have taken an hour and a half tops. and today i feel as though ive been at the bottom of a rugby ruck in the 70’s all night.

so theres not a lot being done today, i reckon this is going to take some time lol.

#144891 Reply
    ajn

Yeah take it easy Mitch, I guess we all been there, taking ages for things that were easy back a few years back..

πŸ‘πŸŒ»

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: the joys of living in a “council house”
Your information: