rose-coloured glasses

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155345 Reply
    ajn

Seems most like the idea of electric transportation/vehicle’s, however what’s the negative side of it, is there such a thing..

It’s going to be a while before I need to consider it, not sure if that’s  a good thing or bad tbh..

Maybe end any replies with a simple

Y or N

For or against

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155427 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Very interesting reading, be great if this ends up a total success, the off road parking will become a problem for most.. Im sure I read somewhere about using street lamps, I guess that will help many.. However not everyone can use them if already in use, Example the problems trying to get a disabled parking space is bad enough let alone charging points..

Yes and no, I have no off road parking, and I do high mileage, for most drivers though, the average seems to be 8k miles a year, which would mean in the 64kW EV’s maybe needing to visit a local fast charger once a fortnight for between 40 mins and an hour, if you then also add in the opportunities at supermarkets etc, that could make it even less.  MOST EV drivers don’t need to charge every night, and don’t

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155429 Reply
    Ian

I love my Ev. Saved £1000s over last 18 months of ownership.

Prefer charging it up overnight at home than filling an ICE car at a petrol station. Or even better using solar panels to charge it for free……Today i’m visiting my mum in a nursing home 200mile round trip just out of my Ev range. Managed to get a free charge at a Rapid charger on the way down, topped battery up for 15 minutes and we are now all good.

Personally I think the biggest barriers to Evs is people not beimg able to move away from ICE car thinking and fascination with being able to drive to the moon and back not stopping for anything. The fascination with going to the petrol station as a superb place to go……prefer pulling up on my drive and plugging a cable in.

I like what i’m doing for the environment, the car being warm when I get in and the power delivery.

I do wish it could go a little further on a charge however I can manage this based on all the other benefits.

I recognise charging at home isn’t available for all, and actually I wouldn’t have an Ev if I was unable to charge at home because I live very rural with not many local charges.

You can use a 3 pin plug to charge and for overnight charging where speed doesnt matter it becomes like charging your phone……

I estimate I am saving 4k a year which I’m happy to trade for a bit of range anxiety 4 5 times a year.

I know Evs aren’t for everyone but I really find they work for me!

#155430 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou for the replies I wish I had gone full electric now my Toyota Chr is very economical  I try to keep it in ev mode up to around 40 mph but with petrol engine it can’t match the running cost of a full electric car

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155432 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I know it’s been tried somewhere (was it Oxford?) But I’d be very surprised if the cabling for street lights would be able to cope with the amperage of massed charging of EVs. More likely new pavement posts would need to be installed.

They’re digging up the pavements round here yet again to lay the latest fibre to the home – joined up thinking would say stick some power cables in the trench while you’re at it…

#155433 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Thankyou for the replies I wish I had gone full electric now my Toyota Chr is very economical I try to keep it in ev mode up to around 40 mph but with petrol engine it can’t match the running cost of a full electric car

3 years time mate and you can change and there will be far more choice too, at least your CHR is cheaper than pure ICE

Previous Motability Cars

#155435 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I know it’s been tried somewhere (was it Oxford?) But I’d be very surprised if the cabling for street lights would be able to cope with the amperage of massed charging of EVs. More likely new pavement posts would need to be installed. They digging up the pavements round here yet again to lay the latest fibre to the home – joined up thinking would say stick some power cables in the trench while you’re at it…

It’s well underway in London, most lamposts have far more power than they need now, especially since most are now LED rather than Sodium

https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/new-energies/europe/analysis/1300-street-lights-converted-ev-chargers-london?a=JMA06&t%5B0%5D=Siemens&t%5B1%5D=Ubitricity&t%5B2%5D=electric%20vehicle&t%5B3%5D=charging%20infrastructure&t%5B4%5D=London&curl=1

Previous Motability Cars

#155440 Reply
    ajn

Wouldn’t it be great if some how you could lower out a remote control a battery steer it into the house charge over night then remote control it back out whilst walking along side it..

Returning back to the car fully charged.

Maybe the remote controlled battery with own wheels could get a separate charge from the braking system, as not to drain the main supply..🤔

#155447 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I cannot compete with Stuarts EV, our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV our lease will be 1 year on the 17/06/21 so now have 12 months of excel spreadsheet under our belt to date we have 5831, miles on the clock, approximately 1200 of those miles has been towing a 1500kg caravan, we have spent exactly £467.88 including both electric cost and fuel on average taking into account both electric and fuel cost we have achieved 113mpg. Hope this helps

As we’ve discussed before Oscarmax, as a fellow spreadsheet nerd, 6640 miles, electric costs £163.81 and working out at 241mpg, PHEV or EV, either way, the savings are huge

You are right I cannot compete with those figures

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155448 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Do you spreadsheet nerds calculate the electricity use based on what the house meter tells you, or what the car tells you?  Is it possible to compare the two to know what the charging losses are?

#155449 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Do you spreadsheet nerds calculate the electricity use based on what the house meter tells you, or what the car tells you? Is it possible to compare the two to know what the charging losses are?

Yes, I’m getting around an 8% loss

Previous Motability Cars

#155452 Reply
    Richard

Yes very for & have an MG ZS EV now LOVE it.

Go out far more now, don’t rant at the wife when she wants ferrying about, no more stinky fuel stations. Queuing for a pump, pumping for 10 mins then dealing a huge queue to get in the store urgh!

I’ve done 1000 miles now & it’s so much nicer to drive no horrid noise & vibration I get out the other end not feeling like crap which is huge, I’ve ever notice less hand pain possibly due to vibration is the only thing I can think.

I still have a diesel fir toeing very infrequently & I certainly don’t race about banning ice cars short term at least.

Everywhere I’ve been & needed to charge its been easy. I even joined the national trust as they have free chargers at all the places locally so can go enjoy & get free fuel too.

Went to Yarmouth to take kids to pleasurebeach last week, wife took kids in so I kipped in the car, £9 all day parking, stuck £5 on a charger & charged up brilliant nice & easy,didnt need to but thought it’d be fun to try out.

My only criticism is there’s  ext to no thought for disabled drivers needing to charge. The spaces in Yarmouth were incredibly tight plus concrete bollards all round. So if you do need a lot of space then you might have to think hard

GT Yarmouth eV parking spaces snug

#155453 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Do you spreadsheet nerds calculate the electricity use based on what the house meter tells you, or what the car tells you? Is it possible to compare the two to know what the charging losses are?

Yes

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155456 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Intranicity answered my question, Oscarmax, and it was he that referred to you both as nerds, I believe!

“As we’ve discussed before Oscarmax, as a fellow spreadsheet nerd”

Far be it for me to judge and my apologies etc .

#155459 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Richard – You must have had some pretty grim cars if they had so much vibration that they caused hand pain. I’ve driven several hundred different cars over the years, including some pretty bad ones, and never experienced a car with vibration like that. Also, the petrol stations where you live must be dire also. I don’t have to queue for a pump, takes me less than 5 minutes every 3 or 4 weeks and I pay at the pump within that time, so no queues to get in the store either. Can’t think of anything much simpler and less stressful to be honest, but each to their own!

#155464 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Intranicity answered my question, Oscarmax, and it was he that referred to you both as nerds, I believe! “As we’ve discussed before Oscarmax, as a fellow spreadsheet nerd” Far be it for me to judge and my apologies etc .

No need to apologise I had to edit the post when I read it back it not what I meant to say. However I have to admit I am a bit of a nerd I have records of every payment pay to and received going back to April 2009 in my draw, no doubt if I looked further I could find more.

#155466 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

In which case, Oscarmax, I withdraw my apology. The world needs nerds.  I have a few close friends who claim they know people who are nerds.

#155469 Reply
    ajn

@Richard, you seem happy with your choice, however I don’t understand   how you describe life before the change to electric, sound’s very bizarre to me…

How awful to suffer for so long 😳

#155577 Reply
    Rene

We’d love an EV, but currently, none of the available ones would tick the boxes we need to be ticked.

It’s a weird one for us – we do suffer from range anxiety (apparently an actual thing), although we do understand that, lets say, 200 miles electric range would cover 99.9% of our needs without having to recharge “in the wild”.

We do live rural, so there’s not that many charging stations around here, which is my second biggest issue. Not that they’re “rare”, but the fact that if you pull up to one and nothing’s free, you’re potentially sitting there for an hour. An hour, just to get to the plug, then however long you need to put some juice back in.

With rising EV numbers, but the infrastructure not growing nowhere near as fast (at least in rural south wales), that’s a grim outlook to me. Regardless of how often i’d be in that situation. A petrol station can service hundreds of cars in an hour – they’re only in there for 5 minutes. A charging point, with maybe 8 plugs, can service what – 10, maybe 15 cars an hour? Meh.

But, as mentioned, the biggest issue is this. For many EVs, the selling point is “being electric”. We’d like a car where the selling point is “the car” which then happens to be electric. For starters (though that’s very subjective, granted): there’s no actually good looking EVs available on the scheme, even less so fitting our “requirements” (size, particularly). We did look at and sit in a few, and one way or the other, it just won’t work. DS3, Mokka E, Fiat 500e, Honda E, Mini E, Leaf – all too small. Kia Soul, awful both inside and out. Mazda MX30, too little range, too slow. 2008 E, same. Kona, too small. Citroen C4 E – it’s a Citroen, not going to happen for me. Ioniq, too small – or rather, too low, and so on. The ID3, well.. It would be the favourite at the moment, but the interior is so spartan that i just can’t get comfortable in it (we sat in it when looking at a Tiguan).

I will say, if the Enyaq iV comes to the scheme, we’ll probably switch if it has a reasonable AP (considering it needs around £3000 in packages to get to a decent spec, plus £1200 for the heat pump). Even if it’s the “60” model. That ticks most boxes in terms of required seating position and size, the interior is nice enough (again, bit spartan but still nice to look at – we sat in the microfibre one).

Other than that, yeah.. EVs are cool and we’d love one, but we do have requirements that EVs (at least the EVs available on the scheme) simply do not match. We currently have an Ateca, we can’t go any smaller (would actually prefer slightly bigger).

If there ever is a Kia EV6 (potentially), the Ionic 5, maybe the DS4, Audi Q4 E-Tron, VW ID4, maybe Nissan Ariya, we’ll most likely make the switch.

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
Reply To: rose-coloured glasses
Your information: