rose-coloured glasses

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155345 Reply
    ajn

Seems most like the idea of electric transportation/vehicle’s, however what’s the negative side of it, is there such a thing..

It’s going to be a while before I need to consider it, not sure if that’s  a good thing or bad tbh..

Maybe end any replies with a simple

Y or N

For or against

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155350 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Do you still get the same range if you are doing 70 mph on the motorway ? Also does air con and radio etc affect the range ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155356 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m very much for electric vehicles and look forward to having one. The lack of engine noise and seamless power delivery very much appeal to me. However, I’m not prepared to embrace them until the technology and infrastructure both improve drastically from where they are now.

We garage our cars overnight, so charging isn’t an issue for us. If we couldn’t charge at home I personally wouldn’t consider an EV until there was no other choice, in spite of what several posters on here say. Their ‘charging strategies’ sound like a level of stress and hassle that would drive me nuts and simply wouldn’t work for us. For example, we have our food shopping delivered, so never go to supermarkets (which many use for charging).

For 95% of our journeys, even the current ranges of most EV’s would be fine for us, but it’s the remaining 5% that deters me at present. I find stopping for fuel to be a pain, even though with an ICE car it takes less than 5 minutes. I just could not be doing with having to stop for 20 minutes or more to recharge. Life is too short. When the technology improves and a car can be recharged from near empty to full in less than 5 minutes (which I’m sure will happen eventually) then this current barrier is eliminated.

Then there’s the issue of finding somewhere to recharge and being able to get a charge point that isn’t in use. The current infrastructure is way behind the trajectory needed for us all to be driving EV’s from 2030, especially if you don’t live in a built up area. We spent 3 weeks on a fantastic touring holiday of Scotland and a few times in the remote parts we had range anxiety even with a diesel. If we’d had an EV we simply couldn’t have done the holiday.

So, yes, I’m very much for them and if we never did anything more than local journeys and day trips (so that I only ever had to charge the car at home) then I would have one now. However, at present, an EV wouldn’t suit us and would take away the hassle free nature of driving for me. I would consider a PHEV now even though they are a bit of a compromise but, as with EV’s, the technology will no doubt improve and these compromises will lessen over time.

#155364 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Yes, For, and own.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#155366 Reply
    crispy

I have seriously considered EV, but may need to move, downsize, in next 2 years so wasn’t sure how things stood with moving a charger or if the next place would be suitable. PHEV AP’s are way out of my range so I have ordered, hopefully for August delivery, a Kia Niro self charging hybrid (£199 AP). I feel this will give me a chance to dip into EV world and still get MPG of my Diesels I’ve always had. Maybe in 3 years time.

#155369 Reply
    joss

I think @Glos Guy sums up How I feel about EV’s. The UK really needs to get moving with regards to the EV charging infrastructure. I life in a Large town of some 360k people and it is very poorly severed with access to public charging points.

I just found this re public charging points in Doncaster

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by joss. Reason: added link

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155382 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yes @Joss, GlosGuy have summed it up with a great explanation..</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I think it’s moving fast with expectation just a little slow in reality..</p>
    At the moment for me it’s a No, well not yet.

#155391 Reply
    sif

GG, it sounds plausible, but if you dig a little deeper, it’s not so certain. 95% of your driving elec is fine, so you are inconvenienced by only that 5% that’s left. If you change your Scotland route to accommodate an EV, and with a little planning that’s not too difficult then you will have no problems. You have to plan like crazy off grid anyway, since you aren’t going to ‘happen’ on accommodation in the middle of nowhere.

Take again, the 95% If you do 10k miles that’s .5k to think about. Being more realistic, a long tour will add greatly to the actual percentage above 5%, and to the planning, but given you won’t be spending all that time putting fossil fuel it, you will actually spend less time in garages. If you combine it with a restaurant, cafe or comfort stop, the problem reduces again.

As someone who has let holiday cottages I know that owners will increasingly offer onsite charging. And we are talking about a 3 yr lease here. The problem of charging when away may have almost disappeared in a year. I have rented a holiday home this year and the place has a charger 50 metres away from where I am staying.

Again, if you took a tour of say 3k miles at 50mpg @£6 per gallon, which is an optimistic mpg, then it will cost £360 in fuel, charging an EV will save a hundreds, money that can be spent on something else.

I would heartily concur with everything GG has said, and all his points are valid. But in just a years time how true will that be? And in 2 years. I think the argument for embracing EVs now is very strong. On a personal note, I could not believe how much space forward of the front seats was available on a test ride. The absence of an engine meant I could sleep stretched  out in the passenger seat if I wanted, or stretch out either leg whilst driving on a long journey. Given the extra £800 freeby of a charger and unless you absolutely cannot have one on disability grounds, then I would say go for it and turn away from the dark side. And I never thought I would say that.

#155393 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

sif, for many people it’s not yet.

I have a PHEV on order. I hope that in three years I’ll be choosing an EV, but I haven’t this time for two reasons.

1. There isn’t an EV on the scheme that suits my needs (MrsWs needs).

2. The charging infrastructure is not yet well enough developed to be as convenient as combining home charging and petrol.

#155394 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

GG, it sounds plausible, but if you dig a little deeper, it’s not so certain. 95% of your driving elec is fine, so you are inconvenienced by only that 5% that’s left. If you change your Scotland route to accommodate an EV, and with a little planning that’s not too difficult then you will have no problems. You have to plan like crazy off grid anyway, since you aren’t going to ‘happen’ on accommodation in the middle of nowhere. Take again, the 95% If you do 10k miles that’s .5k to think about. Being more realistic, a long tour will add greatly to the actual percentage above 5%, and to the planning, but given you won’t be spending all that time putting fossil fuel it, you will actually spend less time in garages. If you combine it with a restaurant, cafe or comfort stop, the problem reduces again. As someone who has let holiday cottages I know that owners will increasingly offer onsite charging. And we are talking about a 3 yr lease here. The problem of charging when away may have almost disappeared in a year. I have rented a holiday home this year and the place has a charger 50 metres away from where I am staying. Again, if you took a tour of say 3k miles at 50mpg @£6 per gallon, which is an optimistic mpg, then it will cost £360 in fuel, charging an EV will save a hundreds, money that can be spent on something else. I would heartily concur with everything GG has said, and all his points are valid. But in just a years time how true will that be? And in 2 years. I think the argument for embracing EVs now is very strong. On a personal note, I could not believe how much space forward of the front seats was available on a test ride. The absence of an engine meant I could sleep stretched out in the passenger seat if I wanted, or stretch out either leg whilst driving on a long journey. Given the extra £800 freeby of a charger and unless you absolutely cannot have one on disability grounds, then I would say go for it and turn away from the dark side. And I never thought I would say that.

Plus another way to look at it, the savings in fuel costs over the 95% of normal day to day driving could easily cover the costs of hiring a lovely ICE to do your tour, where despite everything, you still had range anxiety!

In the end, you make your choices and you take your chances.  I wish I had a garage and could charge at home, but 10 weeks into EV driving, zero range anxiety, although my longest drive in one day so far is only 370 miles, but I have saved over £600 in fuel costs.  I think in 3 years time, the EV world will have moved on so far, non EV options will be minimal, is that good or bad, who knows, but it is the future of motoring.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155400 Reply
    joss

@intranicity said. 

Plus another way to look at it, the savings in fuel costs over the 95% of normal day to day driving could easily cover the costs of hiring a lovely ICE to do your tour, where despite everything, you still had range anxiety!

That is a good idea

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155402 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

If only we disabled drivers could hire an ICE car just like that when even Motability themselves struggle to get adapted hire cars when ours are off the road for any given reason.

Oh how easy things would be if we weren’t disabled.

#155405 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Sif – your ‘solution’ to our Scotland holiday wouldn’t have be practical I’m afraid and is a good example of why we wouldn’t go EV yet. The route I planned was entirely to take advantage of the stunning scenery, comprising the North Coast 500 and a lot more. I don’t know if you’ve been up there but it’s very very remote and there’s not a lot of petrol stations, let alone charge points! I don’t want to have to plan a touring holiday around charge points and recharging stops, even where it is possible. That would take the joy out of motoring for us. I like to be able to go where I like, when I like. I appreciate that running costs are much reduced to compensate, but I guess we are fortunate that we don’t have to worry about that, so it’s not a factor for us. We’d rather pay more and have none of the hassle.

Hiring an ICE car for holidays is a good idea, but the sort of car we would need wouldn’t be cheap and over 2 or 3 weeks would probably wipe out a good chunk of the cost savings anyway!

In spite of my reluctance to go EV this time I genuinely look forward to having one once the technology and infrastructure is where it needs to be.

#155406 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

I’ll let you know, since I’ve now gone EV for my 25k a year mileage habit. No home charging yet as there is a lot of work for the DNO to do first, so its public charging for me.

Pick up my Soul EV on 31 July. The test drive was awesome, quiet, rapid, comfy, well built and very well specced & my fuel savings are about £2500 a year.

And, unlike the Kona, the dog fits in the boot no problem.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#155407 Reply
    sif

@intranicity said.

Intranicity wrote:
    That is a good idea.

Second that thought, Joss

#155410 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Interesting and insightful comments. For me the ability to be able to charge at home is a hugely beneficial and, range apart, my only red line. I just filled up my Tuscon,  65 quid for 395 miles. The equivalent in electric on an overnight tariff just over 4 pounds, just 7% of the cost of fuel. A massive difference. That really bought home the cost benefits of electric. A 300 mile range of course will be less in winter and on the motorway but will be higher around town. Over 3 years a saving of well over 5 grand.  Infrastructure where I leave is pretty good too and I think I could live with the need to charge on the go once in a blue moon. AP is an important factor.

#155411 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I’ll let you know, since I’ve now gone EV for my 25k a year mileage habit. No home charging yet as there is a lot of work for the DNO to do first, so its public charging for me. Pick up my Soul EV on 31 July. The test drive was awesome, quiet, rapid, comfy, well built and very well specced & my fuel savings are about £2500 a year. And, unlike the Kona, the dog fits in the boot no problem.

Good choice Abercol, which colour did you opt for ?? mines the Neptune blue with black roof. Since picking mine up in Feb this year ive only seen 3 others on the road, 2 black and one white.

#155412 Reply
    sif

My saving over 3 years is 11k plus or around 4k per year, that would pay for some nice hotels, a penthouse apartment for two months each year in Paphos, business class to thailand and a months car hire, 20 really good meals out each year, or a whole years support for the 3 orphan kids  in thailand. Whatever you do with any savings, you are doing your bit to save the planet. And all those kids growing up breathing particulate fumes.

#155415 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Agree with most of the above and would love to go EV.

But, I need a large SUV (6′ 5 1/2″ with physical mobility issues), no chance of getting home charging as it would have to go over a public footpath, HA say no way.

Almost no local charging points within 5-10 miles, there’s  one at a hospital and a one or 2 at my nearest shopping centre which usually have one not working.   A few more around central Durham which I tend to avoid due to lack of disabled parking and access.

Hopefully in 2 years time I may be able to find something on the scheme 🙂

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#155416 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Say a 330 mile range would this do two trips on the motorway at 70 to 80 mph both 100 miles on a hot day like today with air con on ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155417 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My saving over 3 years is 11k plus or around 4k per year, that would pay for some nice hotels, a penthouse apartment for two months each year in Paphos, business class to thailand and a months car hire, 20 really good meals out each year, or a whole years support for the 3 orphan kids in thailand. Whatever you do with any savings, you are doing your bit to save the planet. And all those kids growing up breathing particulate fumes.

Its clearly a no brainier in your case Sif and it’s great that you can gain such a huge benefit. I’m not saying that this is the case in your situation, but some EV drivers seem to think that electricity is free and calculate their savings purely on fuel and not net of extra electric bills. In our case the savings would be significantly less than you and certainly not enough to warrant all the extra hassle. However, as I say, we are very fortunate that running costs can be very much a secondary factor for us.  Zero hassle and driving pleasure come first for us.  Also, as others have said, the choice at present on Motability is pretty poor if you need an SUV with a big boot, as we do. However, in time we will have no choice but to embrace EV’s and we will do so when the time comes. It’s just not yet for us. A PHEV could be an option for us but, again, none of the current crop on Motability appeal. Hopefully next time around.

#155418 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Say a 330 mile range would this do two trips on the motorway at 70 to 80 mph both 100 miles on a hot day like today with air con on ?

My Soul will do that easy, im off to the lakes next week and its 116 miles each way and im 100% confident having owned it for 4 months i could do that without charging. I have done Bridlington there and back which is 167 mile round trip and it took 170 mile off the range and i dont hang about trust me.

#155420 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Not sure I’m reading your question correctly, but if I am, yes, no problem in the Kona, 70mph (if you could even average that) in the Kona with Aircon on this time of year you’d be getting around 3,8miles/kW which would give you a range of around 240 miles.

Most of my driving tends to be on A and B roads, so average speed is probably closer to 50mph, I’m averaging 4.7, so a range of 300, but in the really warm weather, I’m getting well over 5 miles a kW

Previous Motability Cars

#155424 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

My saving over 3 years is 11k plus or around 4k per year, that would pay for some nice hotels, a penthouse apartment for two months each year in Paphos, business class to thailand and a months car hire, 20 really good meals out each year, or a whole years support for the 3 orphan kids in thailand. Whatever you do with any savings, you are doing your bit to save the planet. And all those kids growing up breathing particulate fumes.

Its clearly a no brainier in your case Sif and it’s great that you can gain such a huge benefit. I’m not saying that this is the case in your situation, but some EV drivers seem to think that electricity is free and calculate their savings purely on fuel and not net of extra electric bills. In our case the savings would be significantly less than you and certainly not enough to warrant all the extra hassle. However, as I say, we are very fortunate that running costs can be very much a secondary factor for us. Zero hassle and driving pleasure come first for us. Also, as others have said, the choice at present on Motability is pretty poor if you need an SUV with a big boot, as we do. However, in time we will have no choice but to embrace EV’s and we will do so when the time comes. It’s just not yet for us. A PHEV could be an option for us but, again, none of the current crop on Motability appeal. Hopefully next time around.

I cannot compete with Stuarts EV, our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV our lease will be 1 year on the 17/06/21 so now have 12 months of excel spreadsheet under our belt to date we have 5831,  miles on the clock, approximately 1200 of those miles has been towing a 1500kg caravan, we have spent exactly £467.88 including both electric cost and fuel on average taking into account both electric and fuel cost we have achieved 113mpg.

Hope this helps

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#155425 Reply
    ajn

Very interesting reading, be great if this ends up a total success, the off road parking will become a problem for most..

Im sure I read somewhere about using street lamps, I guess that will help many..

However not everyone can use them if already in use, Example the problems trying to get a disabled parking space is bad enough let alone charging points..

#155426 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I cannot compete with Stuarts EV, our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV our lease will be 1 year on the 17/06/21 so now have 12 months of excel spreadsheet under our belt to date we have 5831, miles on the clock, approximately 1200 of those miles has been towing a 1500kg caravan, we have spent exactly £467.88 including both electric cost and fuel on average taking into account both electric and fuel cost we have achieved 113mpg. Hope this helps

As we’ve discussed before Oscarmax, as a fellow spreadsheet nerd, 6640 miles, electric costs £163.81 and working out at 241mpg, PHEV or EV, either way, the savings are huge

Previous Motability Cars

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
Reply To: rose-coloured glasses
Your information: