MG HS vs XC40 dilemma

This topic contains 29 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #118866 Reply

Mike T

Need some guidance re my next car choice. Need to order next week but unsure which car to pick. My top two picks after endless checks and test drives are the new MG HS exclusive DCT which is £999ap or the XC40 inscription auto T3 which is £1399. Both have many options but I am at that dilemma crossroads thinking do I go with the MG and endless extras or the Volvo for safety and build quality? Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike T

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #118869 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

Sorry to be of no use, but only you can make the decision.

As you have had both test drives and done your research, which does your head say to go for, over you heart?

Even if you have to draw up a list of both cars and put plusses and minusses against one or the other you may get a result.

As with a lot of things in life, just be content in the knowledge that no matter which you choose, you will always wish you had chosen the other.

#118871 Reply

Mike T

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Cheers Big Dave, at this point my head and check list says MG.</p>

#118872 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

At least MG has confidence in its brand given the long warranty.

#118875 Reply

Markw
    Participant

The MG is a lot of unsophisticated metal for the money, I would choose the classier better driving Volvo every time.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#118876 Reply

Ade

MikeT, Its a tough one, we are spoiled for choice.

Both cars are excellent, you are in a win win situation no matter which one you choose. I always think, its the inside that matters, that is where you spend most of your time and you got to feel comfortable.

You know you are in the right car when you look and smile as you approach or walk away from it.

The car that gives you the biggest smile is the one to go for.

#118883 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Ade

Firstly go for which car suits your disabilities, practicalities, reliability and budget. Then that car will give you biggest smile, forget the looks or brand.

#118884 Reply

mitch
    Participant

xc40 mpg isnt great if thats a consideration, i know theres been a bit of a love in about the volvo since the ap came down a bit. but the mg has kit as standard thats extra on the volvo.dont know what the mg’s is.

so the tight wad in me says i would go with the mg, they are growing on me a lot and in 3 years the electric version will be on my short list.

#118886 Reply

Mike T

Thanks folks for your feed back all very useful.

#118887 Reply

Susan

Safety wise I don’t think the MG is any less safe as it has the highest ncap rating of 5 same as the volvo

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/mg/hs/39677

#118889 Reply

Menorca Mike

Yes the mg is more economical at 38 mpg Volvo 32 mpg according to honest John real mpg

#118896 Reply

PSXCAR
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I’m picking my MG HS EXCLUSIVE auto up on Thursday having had my Mercedes GLA for 16 months, need an automatic now, and truly I cannot wait, the GLA has zero or it seems like it, extras  nice wheels, led lights and gloss black trim that’s about it I even had to purchase a  sat nav SD card as it did not come with sat nav!.

the fact it was a Mercedes swayed me to have it but I will never do it again just have because of the badge,  that really is a mugs game the MG HS does everything I will ever want didn’t want to give it up after a very long test drive, been a Motability customer for over 25 years and this is the first vehicle with an opening skyroof.

but it is up to you nobody has the right to tell you yes or no but as always good luck

ROY

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  PSXCAR.
    #118897 Reply

Menorca Mike

Is it an electric sliding roof ?

#118900 Reply

PSXCAR
    Participant

oh yes tilts and slides to the middle of the roof then you have a fixed glass panel with an electric interior full sun blind, also if you hold the unlock button on the key fob all the windows and roof opens and again when you press and hold lock the windows close and so does the roof (just like a top end Mercedes) also a quick note check out the switch gear very German like.

ROY

#118902 Reply

Menorca Mike

Roy please put photos on here what colour are you having ?

#118904 Reply

Mike T

Hi Roy,

Our story is almost identical then, my current vehicle is the GLA which is manual and originally went for the prestige and reversing camera but now I need an auto and the MG seemed the best choice for height as the GLA seems very low compared to the MG and XC40. Thinking of black pearl with the red and black interior. Did you get any offers when you ordered your MG?

Cheers

Mike T

#118907 Reply

PSXCAR
    Participant

Hi all,

yep photos over the weekend to come, pearl white red/black leather, I was going to have black and red/black but having see a black one in the flesh I decided to go for white and my GLA is black and has been cleaned three time a week, every week, to keep it tidy or it can look like a shed, I agree it is very low, either I’ve got taller, or as I have the drivers seat fully raised I find it hard to get in and out without banging my head or catching my legs under the steering wheel, not really a compact SUV but more of a high riding hatchback.

when it’s clean it does look the part but that is only skin deep too many compromises to call this ‘premium’ really only wanted the badge!! should have listened to my wife who disliked it from the start and said I should have extended my lease on my Qashqai Tekna which was a hard act to follow, funny enough that was pearl white too, strange how MG did not include a bright silver like the Asian models and also the all digital dashboard must be something to do with the EU laws maybe

test drove a blue HS andthe dealership had a red one  but took a punt and ordered a white and when it arrived at the dealership the sales manager phoned me to say it had arrived 6 week early, he said that it looked stunning can’t wait till Thursday

ROY

#118908 Reply

Mike T

The Asian model also has the 360 camera and ismart tech which I think might come with the MG HS EV edition maybe. The MG dealer did say they could install front sensors as an aftermarket installation but was unsure if motability would allow this upgrade?

Mike T

#118910 Reply

PSXCAR
    Participant

hi Mike I maybe wrong but I think ismart is what is called MGpilot, all the driving aids blind spot warning, front camera sensors speed and traffic sign recognition ect. ect. As for the front sensors Motability will most likely agree to this if fitted by the supplying dealer but this will be at your cost about £250-£350 and you will not get anything back when returning your vehicle, and you can’t really remove them, just had a thought though, I did not have rear sensors fitted to the GLA only the camera so I fitted a number plate holder which also had included and fitted to it sensors for reversing I wonder if they would work as front sensors if fitted to the front number plate anyone on here tried that? a cheap fix if it works and easily removed, would need a way to turn them on but cannot be that difficult for someone with auto electric knowledge. but really how often would you need them anyway

ROY

#118911 Reply

Mike T

Hi Roy,

I believe ismart is the interactive mobile app, a bit like the BMW and Volvo on all service which allows you remote start, turn on heating etc and much more.

The dealer quoted £300 for the forward sensors and they would install a switch on lower dash to switch on and off.

Don’t mind paying if it works unless your idea works on the front plate. Hopefully someone on the forum might have tackled this.

I also noticed the Asian Market has a wider choice of interior colours, one being cream leather which would be ideal with the blue exterior.

Still the red and black looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing your pics of the car!

#118912 Reply

Philjb
    Participant

If I was buying and the price was similar I’d choose the Volvo over the mg purely on owners reviews and resale value.

As a scheme car that doesn’t matter to us, so just choose what suits you best the badge doesn’t matter at all.

Tiguan fan boy

#118925 Reply

joss
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Cheers Big Dave, at this point my head and check list says MG.</p>

“at this point my head and check list says MG”.😈 Psst, go Volvo✅

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#118933 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@MikeT. Go with your heart.
    All cars have enough tech to be very good but also, all cars have enough safety equipment to be very good in that area.
    👍👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#118936 Reply

Menorca Mike

I’m trying to build a HS on the MG website anywhere I can configure it I want the top of the range in red

#118939 Reply

mitch
    Participant

theres no configurator on the mg website, you can only request a brochure. i dont think there are many options it is what it is, the top of the range is fully loaded and thats it lol.

#118940 Reply

mitch
    Participant
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: MG HS vs XC40 dilemma

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: