Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Warmer weather

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

Hi everyone. I really hope you are well and handling the nightmare that is our modern life, at the moment.  I just wanted to upload some stats with regard to my Kona EV 64kw ultimate I’ve had since September 2021.  in particular how it is running in the warmer weather we’ve been having up in North Yorkshire. The car is showing 295 miles range. This is the highest I’ve see on on my car   Also I have included the monthly report that the Bluelink App produces at the end of the month showing average consumption being  4.82 miles per kWh  which is pretty efficient considering I’m not a slow coach

anyway I thought it might be interesting to one or two and equally tedious goal of more

best wishesMonthly report for APRIL 2022

Screenshot of completed charging

Cheers, all the very best

Vaun

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

I can see these figures pleasing awaiting delivery of their Kona EV.

Out of interest what figures were you getting in the colder months.

joss

Nice feed back post there @Vaun

Joss
          Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Rene

To me it’s just fun to see how much the Kona actually regenerates.

It’s actually quite impressive if you think about it.

Participant

Hi Kezo,

it went down to 260 to 265 indicated never really got that low to try and test those figures tbh.

but on long journeys the miles indicated left on “in the tank” have been accurate

I’ve done 9300 Miles in 7 months

Vaun

Participant

Hi

I do tend to try and one pedal the car as much as possible and use the left paddle on the steering wheel to brake as much as possible also.  This is good practice for efficient regeneration but it does take some getting used to.

cheers

Vaun

fwippers
                Participant

Excellent post and information. Unfortunately for many of us it is a waiting game.

Participant

interesting on the efficiency of electric cars.. a direct  example re a 64kwh battery in here hence the kona came to mind.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/move-electric/how-efficient-are-electric-cars

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Participant

Yesterday as weather was probably warmest this year i had a run and got 6.27mi/kwh, which would equate to over 400 mi on a charge eek!!!

Im certain that active altering of the regen paddles dependent of rd and traffic etc does bring more to the party. Its also surprising how well the car will roll with no regen and no acceleration. Although you reduce the regen you increase the distance travelled.

Participant

Yesterday as weather was probably warmest this year i had a run and got 6.27mi/kwh, which would equate to over 400 mi on a charge eek!!! Im certain that active altering of the regen paddles dependent of rd and traffic etc does bring more to the party. Its also surprising how well the car will roll with no regen and no acceleration. Although you reduce the regen you increase the distance travelled.

Had a longer run today and got 6.00mi/kwh so its deffo possible to get huge mileage in the better weather

Adrian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>How on Earth did you get 6mile/kWh on a long run?!</p>
                          On an actual full distance run I’ve managed to drive 320 miles and still have 40 left “in the tank” (but don’t think it would have done 40 realistically, maybe 20), but this was achieved by being happy to slipstream behind 65mph coaches and occasionally behind HGVs at 55-60mph with distance on the cruise control set to 1 for virtually the whole trip, which I didn’t mind as I didn’t have a schedule (and was quicker than driving faster anyway – because I’d have had to charge on the way home otherwise)

That works out at about 5.5m/kWH

Participant

THink if you avoid going over 60, and hopefully 55 too much, it does help a lot. Motorways do drain a battery more than a and b rds too, as can a strong wind etc.

garry
                            Participant

I always drive at legal speed limits and like to accelerate to these speeds quickly, do journeys using mixed road types, with car set in standard mode with low regen and auto climate control always on.

I don’t do one pedal driving and drive it like a normal auto car.

I’m well impressed with the cars performance and like the  op says range is getting better and better as the weather warms up.

Participant

Great figures

garry
                                Participant

Yeah it’s a brilliant car, loving it.

Participant

got 6.35mi/kwh today. warmer and longer distance. in fact the outward side of journey was over 7, as it was wind assisted.

Participant

READ THIS TODAY RE HOW FAR THEY got on a 64kwh kona. it was in controlled conditions and they were going fairly slow and hipermiling, but they achieved over 600miles.

https://insideevs.com/news/439115/hyundai-kona-electric-1000km-620miles-one-charge/

i myself was out today in a decent day and achieved 6.73mi/kwh myself which is over 430 miles. i did do as per usual a bit of hypermiling too where possible but i was travellin a bit faster. usual rd speeds but no more than 60.

Hello just a few questions I’m on British Gas standard tariff in my retirement bungalow for gas and electric this will be my next car in 2 years I do around 10.000 miles a year my CHR hybrid does around 550 miles on a tank full will this be a lot cheaper to run how much would I save a year going full electric ? And from home how long does it take to fully charge ? My car is 6 feet from my bungalow many thanks for your advice

Participant

This is great reading could you please answer a few questions can I use this on my standard British Gas tariff for gas and electric ? How long does it take to fully charge from home ? I’m in a retirement bungalow car just 6 feet from my door ? My Toyota CHR hybrid does around 550 miles to tank full will this be a lot cheaper to run I do around 10.000 miles a year ? Lastly my next car is in 22 months time when is best to order with waiting list ? My Hyundai dealer is 2 miles away takes 4 minutes many thanks for your advice and help

garry
                                          Participant

Hi @Menorca Mike

These are my figures just substitute your own electricity rate.

Kona battery is 64 kWh

Costs:

My Electricity rate is £0.1831 / kWh

So to charge from 0% to 100% costs:  64 x 0.1831 = £11.72

Range 300 miles = £11.72 divide  300 = just under 4 pence per mile.

Charging;

BP Home charge point 7.2 kWh ( ish )

Kona battery 64 kWh

So to charge from 0% to 100% :  64kWh divide 7.2 kWh = just under 9 hours

In reality you rarely if ever get to 0%  figures shown for extremes.

Participant

ive got a charger at home but its currently running at half power as ive a cable to still get replaced, so it supplies 3.6kwh. That is roughly equ to a granny lead or slightly better, and it does take a while to charge but it is just now and then(maybe 1 time a week on occasion, 2 for charging) My electric is just standard; ie, no ev rate. I pay about 28p a unit. I could get it cheaper tho but i dont currently do enough miles to make it worthwhile. I used to have a chr hybrid and i and paying less now for fuel by a fair bit still, I would be a lot better if i had an ev rate tho and at your mileage that would be worthwhile.

Participant

Hi my current provider is Octopus on their Go tariff which gives me 5p a unit between 0030hrs and 0430hrs which is normally enough to refill the car during normal day to day use.
                                                =======>>>>
                                                yesterday did a trip from East Grinstead to Teesside via Purley. A total trip of 294 miles. I started with 303 miles and did an average of 63 miles an hour. Got home with 2% battery. amazing figures albeit in summer conditions.

Vaun

Participant

Many thanks indeed for your replies so on motorway best to not go over 60 mph ?

garry
                                                  Participant

I just drive normally not making any changes to my driving style or speeds.

I do 70 ish on motorways. But if you want to do 60 you will eek out a few more miles but I personally don’t bother.

Participant

Many thanks indeed for your replies so on motorway best to not go over 60 mph ?

i dont usually go over 60 if im trying to get good mileage, and over 60 does deplete much quicker, as does all motorway driving to an extent as there is not much regen going on. i usually stick it on cruise at about 59mph.

Participant

noticed now its warmer that the air con cooler only goes to 17c which seems a bit lacking. sure my other went lower than that, and window seems more effective although can be noisy at speed.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.