Have you heard a BEV owner say “i don’t like it”?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #161011 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Still a fair bit of anti BEV retoric on the forum which is fine as its all about opinion however those that have shifted from an ICE car to a BEV would be the obvious opinion to listen to.

So if you have recently changed over could you please give your honest opinion on how you have found the change?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #161022 Reply
    Daf

Good point Brydo. I cant think of anyone with a BEV who have yearned to have their old Fossil car back. The BEV technology is the next step in the evolution of transport. What’s not to like? They are far more efficient technologically advanced as well as easy to drive. The prices are coming down and will soon be cheaper then ICE vehicles and of course they dont kill as many living things through pollution and Climate change.

Shame that some find change so difficult to come to terms with.

#161033 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

You could of course start a thread “Do you know anybody who has a BEV 🤪

#161034 Reply
    ajn

Yes but it’s my answer, opinion even please delete my response wmc forum as it’s not relevant 😁

#161036 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

That’s not what I said ajn ya wee minx lol

#161037 Reply
    ajn

🤐

#161039 Reply
    James

A friends got an id3 tour and he loves it, I’ve just come back from a weekend away with him and we’ve had a 500 mile round trip and I wanted to hate this car but far from it.

Its relatively fast, extremely smooth and quite. It practically drives itself on the motorways.

If the id3 tour had 5 seats id have one now

#161040 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I’ve never heard anyone who has an EV say they don’t like it.

I’ve said this before but I think in 20/30 years, EV’s will be better than ICE cars have ever been.

There will obviously be differences between EV and ICE like the sound, the way they accelerate etc but when today’s kids grow up with EV’s I don’t think they’ll be bothered about those things

#161047 Reply
    Rhodgie

I’m not a recent convert from ICE to EV, I got my first in 2014, second in 2017 then my third this year (extended the second lease cause could see anything I liked) and will definitely stay EV for my next car.

I’m fortunate enough to be working and could afford to pay some of the ridiculously high APs being asked for any car on the scheme if I wanted to but…. I’m too tight to waste money like that, I haven’t seen anything that makes me want to spend thousands on a car, driving an EV is a much nicer experience than an ICE, I like to know that if/when this world implodes due to peoples selfishness and stupidity I at least done my bit and tried to do the right thing, and most importantly the money I’m saving on fossil fuel is funding other hobbies that give me more pleasure 😁

The change is very easy… IF you can charge at home, only ever charge at home and only drive within the range of your car so you are home every night 👍 then you’d be nuts to stick with an ICE

It gets a bit more complicated if you wish to travel longer distances and charge away from home, then you need to put more effort into it by planning in advance your charging stops. Once you’re used to it it all becomes second nature and now feels completely normal to me doing 20k a year.

#161061 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

Good point Brydo. I cant think of anyone with a BEV who have yearned to have their old Fossil car back. The BEV technology is the next step in the evolution of transport. What’s not to like? They are far more efficient technologically advanced as well as easy to drive. The prices are coming down and will soon be cheaper then ICE vehicles and of course they dont kill as many living things through pollution and Climate change. Shame that some find change so difficult to come to terms with.

Totally agree, that’s why the word “Luddite” exists, to describe such short sighted individuals

#161064 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Serendipity, I don’t know what it is about you that makes you want to insult anyone who doesn’t agree with your view. If someone chooses an EV it’s because they have determined it will suit their needs, therefore they are not likely not to like it.  Other people will have determined that an EV doesn’t suit their needs, and will also like their choice.  They are not luddites or shortsighted, it’s just that they don’t inhabit your bubble.

You might also want read up on the Luddites before labelling people. Let me help you:

The word ‘Luddites’ refers to British weavers and textile workers who objected to the introduction of mechanised looms and knitting frames. As highly trained artisans, the new machinery posed a threat to their livelihood and after receiving no support from government, they took matters into their own hands.

#161066 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Only had my Kia Soul EV a week, so a bit early days, but it’s a really good car. As others have said, fast, quiet & comfortable.

I’ve done 280 miles, charged it once so far at a rapid (no home charger yet) while we walked the dog round the loch next to the charging station, no time lost to charging & £30 in fuel costs saved.

I’d say don’t knock it till you’ve tried it and if it suits then happy days, if not, then stick to what does suit you as best you can on the scheme.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#161068 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

We are halfway there we have changed from a diesel to a PHEV setting all the environmental stuff aside my fuel bill has dropped dramatically to a THIRD, as soon as it is possible I will change over to a full EV.

If you are not fully convinced about the environmental benefit just look at the savings in fuel cost ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#161071 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

Serendipity, I don’t know what it is about you that makes you want to insult anyone who doesn’t agree with your view. If someone chooses an EV it’s because they have determined it will suit their needs, therefore they are not likely not to like it. Other people will have determined that an EV doesn’t suit their needs, and will also like their choice. They are not luddites or shortsighted, it’s just that they don’t inhabit your bubble. You might also want read up on the Luddites before labelling people. Let me help you: The word ‘Luddites’ refers to British weavers and textile workers who objected to the introduction of mechanised looms and knitting frames. As highly trained artisans, the new machinery posed a threat to their livelihood and after receiving no support from government, they took matters into their own hands.

Some people care about the environment and their children’s future, and others don’t, if you choose to interpret that as an insult, so be it,.

#161072 Reply
    Sue

And some have no choice as a plug in car is not a viable option due to lack of infrastructure.

#161073 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I wonder how many here with EV’s would be driving EV now if it wasn’t for tax payers helping with the cost.

It really does make me sick when I hear holier than thou folk say they got an EV and everyone should get one and stop killing people because I can assure you my son’s, daughters, grand kids not to mention my neighbours would love a nice new EV and I’m sure they could afford one if they got their cars VAT free too and could afford to run them without paying 80% fuel duty on every mile they travel to work.

I have nothing against EV’s and wished I could find one suitable for my disability, best I can hope for is a Hybrid even with Motability help and it’s nothing to do with being a Luddite and everything about cost to over taxed working class folk who are struggling to pay inflated council tax, inflated fuel bills, income tax, national insurance, need I say more.

It’s a fair enough thread but please let’s not go pointing fingers.

#161081 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Wow, Serendipity. How incredibly self righteous of you.  I do enjoy a good discussion, but clearly it’s never going to happen with you.

#161086 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

Wow, Serendipity. How incredibly self righteous of you. I do enjoy a good discussion, but clearly it’s never going to happen with you.

We might surprise each other 😉

#161089 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I’m sure they could afford one if they got their cars VAT free too and could afford to run them without paying 80% fuel duty on every mile they travel to work.

For starters, EVs aren’t VAT free. I don’t know where that nonsense is coming from. There’s different approaches to boosting EV sales to meet environmental goals set by the governments across europe – some nordic countries indeed scrapped VAT on EVs – the UK isn’t one of them. The UK opted instead for a government grant, which doesn’t apply to 90% of the actually day2day usable EVs since the grant can only be applied for if the car is less than £35.000. That’s not enough for some base spec models, and barely enough for a mid-range ID3.

The fuel duty isn’t exclusive to your friends, we all pay that, so there’s zero argument here.

I have nothing against EV’s and wished I could find one suitable for my disability, best I can hope for is a Hybrid even with Motability help and it’s nothing to do with being a Luddite and everything about cost to over taxed working class folk who are struggling to pay inflated council tax, inflated fuel bills, income tax, national insurance, need I say more. It’s a fair enough thread but please let’s not go pointing fingers.

Pointing fingers is one thing, making pretty stupid comparisons is another. You objectively haven’t made a single argument here, other than ranting over taxation. We all get taxed. I pay council tax, i pay fuel bills, income tax, etc pp. I’ve done that for over 30 years.

I genuinely can’t even make out what argument you were trying to make. One of the very reasons to buy an EV is to reduce the amount of annual expenses. Yes, there’s an up front cost to that in shape of the electric vehicle, but if someone can’t afford a £35.000 EV, they can’t afford a £35.000 ICE either, so again, what’s your point? That there’s no used market (yet) for EVs?

In regards to being a Luddite, i wouldn’t say that every “EV opponent” is a Neo-Luddite. What i will say is that there’s an overly high proportion in this forum who are.

This isn’t even getting into the fact that nothing you ranted about here is a problem with EVs, it’s a problem with the government. I’m the first to agree that Westminster is a cesspool of crooks, jokers and asinine decisions, but that does have zero impact on the validity or feasibility of EVs.

Wow, Serendipity. How incredibly self righteous of you. I do enjoy a good discussion, but clearly it’s never going to happen with you.

Glass house, my man. And no, you might think that you enjoy a good discussion, but there’s no discussion to be had with a guy who thinks he knows it all, to the point where he plays grammar-police in a forum.

Btw: in regards to “Luddite” and your explanation, let me help you.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/luddite

“someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change”

Which very much hits the nail on the head for quite a few people here.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#161090 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

The climate report published today could accelerate the transition from fossil to electric however agreement on a global basis is needed to move forward in a constructive way and this may prove difficult to achieve.  Many years ago a gentleman from London of reasonable wealth procured a Nissan Leaf with  a £6000 grant and gained exemption from the congestion charge and the car proved itself financially.  He said he felt it was wrong that only the very well off could take advantage of the grant although he was pleased to be able to reduce his carbon emissions. Great thought and care will need to go into ensuring the transition from fossil to electric is equitable and reasonable in so far as it is possible to achieve.

#161094 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Rene,  you claim:

““someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change”

Which very much hits the nail on the head for quite a few people here.”

I must be reading a different forum to you – I can’t recall anyone in that category posting here.

What I do find here is people trying to force their narrow world view on others and brooking no dissent.

#161096 Reply
    ajn

🤣😂🤣   ☹️

#161097 Reply
    POPS

Let’s not fall out guys and gals.We all have our own opinions and can express them respectfully.

#161100 Reply
    Intranicity

Back to the original question, I have met 1 person at a charger that regretted buying their EV, but only that they wished they’d gone South Korean and had the range the Kona/Soul/e-Niro offer.

I struggled with the decision to go electric, but I just couldn’t afford to stay in an ICE, especially with the demise of diesel.  Living rurally, and in a flat, with no possibility of charging at home, I did my research, on here and elsewhere, and decided a little bit of inconvenience far outweighed the ability to maintain my ability to drive.

I’ve had the Kona for 4 months now, just booked in for its first service next week as I’m about to hit 10k miles.

How inconvenient has it been to switch to EV?  It hasn’t, it has required a bit of planning, but it really hasn’t been difficult.  I have reduced my speed on motorways, tend to set the cruise to 65 now, and on a long drive, I usually keep catching up with all the cars that have overtaken me at the next set of roadworks etc.

So what has it cost, well just over £300 so far, averaging out at 3p a mile, that’s approx 66% paid for charges and 33% free.  So in 4 months, I’ve saved over £850 compared to my last diesel car…  and hopefully, the reduction in CO2 is helping the environment too.

I’m really pleased with the Kona, I’m enjoying driving again and I can afford to as well, reduction in bills was my prime motivation, everything else is a bonus.  There are some EV evangelists on here, but mainly because they have made the switch and can see the advantages, just like there are some EV haters, live and let live, I’m happy with my choice, especially when I look at my bank balance!

We are an unusual community, and many of us would never be in a new car, let alone an EV if it wasn’t for Motability, the ones I have real sympathy for are those who just can’t get any car suitable for their disability, EV or ICE, hopefully in the next 12 months the world and the offerings on Motability will be in a much better place.

#161101 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Intranicity, you make a good point that we are in the fortunate position (albeit due to the misfortune of our disabilities) of being able to be early adopters of EVs.  We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that very many of the general population do not, and cannot, have the same view of EVs, except perhaps as a long term ambition.

#161102 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

Rene, you claim: ““someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change” Which very much hits the nail on the head for quite a few people here.” I must be reading a different forum to you – I can’t recall anyone in that category posting here. What I do find here is people trying to force their narrow world view on others and brooking no dissent.

This is where we differ, I don’t see climate change as simply an opinion or viewpoint, I see it as being a matter of fact that needs dealing with urgently, and I will always challenge anyone supporting or encouraging disinformation, nothing personal, so I’ll move on.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
Reply To: Have you heard a BEV owner say “i don’t like it”?
Your information: