EVs and Tyre Changes

• This topic has 7 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by joss.
  • Creator
    Topic
    JohnnyBravo1910
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently got a BMW I4 since March and covered 4000 miles so far. I’ve noticed the rear tyres have taken quite the beating already. I think I’m down to around 3.5 – 4mm of tread. I can feel the tread indicator. Is this normal for EV owners due to the added weight and regenerative braking?

If that’s the case i’m looking to replace tyres at every 6000 miles is that okay with Motability’s fair use policy?

I don’t drive like a hooligan but occasionally enjoy the spirited drive with the DTC off but never DSC.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

Your contract covers tyres, end of. You’ll be fine, as long as you don’t do over 60,000 miles during the 3 year lease.

kezo
        Participant

Motability will change them when at 2mm across 75% of the tread width.

You can check the depth with a 20p piece by putting a flat edge into the tread and if the inner ridge of the 20p is level with the tread, you have 3mm tread left 🙂

des
          Participant

I’ve went through quite a few tyre and never had a problem. Particularly front tyres lol

Rhodgie
            Participant

I doubt they’ll change them every 6k, normally it’s when at 2mm… but you can always fit a new set at your own expense if you want.

And no its not normal because of this weight myth, my MG5 is now on 56k and the original rear tyres with about 3mm left… I’m not going to get them changed cause it’s due to go back in a couple of months

Participant

Don’t worry.

My Kia Soul EV did 36k on its original drive wheels. Currently had 3 new tyres, the two fronts and a puncture replaced rear.

The most tyres I’ve had in a 3 year lease was 12, two and a half sets of new and several punctures. Not one eyelid batted by Motability…Just off to KwikFit and changed whenever needed.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

MFillingham
                Participant

The usual cause of tyre wear in EVs is the torque when accelerating from stand still or near standstill if that acceleration is quite rapid.  If it’s normal to pull out of a junction with a plan to be hitting the same speed as the rest of the traffic in a very short distance, then that usually causes wear on the accelerating wheels.  Weight and regen won’t wear down the tyre in themselves.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                  I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

joss

Joss
                    Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.