Coronavirus

• Creator
    Topic
  • #108156 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,090 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #135983 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

DAF, you set yourself up to be knocked down.

The official count of deaths in the UK as of today is 83,203.

#135984 Reply
    Georgie

There is the other aspect of Covid-19 that rarely seems to get a mention – ‘Long Covid’, which is leaving thousands of survivors of all ages and levels of health with varying degrees of disability, from ‘fatigue’ to permanent spinal chord damage and brain damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55635451

I wonder how the Government will deal with all the extra claims on our Social Care Services considering they’d all but run it into the ground and didn’t give a toss about the disabled before Covid 19?

#135987 Reply
    Brydo

Strange how its working in my area, my uncle, 80, got his jab yesterday, father in law, 85, is to get it next week, neither with underlying health condition. My mum and aunt, both 88, both with underlying health conditions, no word.

Is it because men are more likely to die from covid?

#135992 Reply
    Georgie

Could just be related to their post codes?  Or alphabetical by surname?

#135994 Reply
    Brydo

Yes Georgie but medically it makes no sense.

#135995 Reply
    Brydo

Of course I don’t want to complain too much, I would rather this than none of them being vaccinated.

#136002 Reply
    Daf

Wigwam 1.96 million worldwide so rounded up to 2 million

#136005 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes, I know that daf, but bandying figures about without defining them is scaremongering in my book.  More useful are the figures of excess deaths compared to seasonal normal, and compared to five year averages – population adjusted, which are not available for many countries.  Historical statistics for the UK are the most reliable.

#136010 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

hindsight is a wonderful thing.

on a do over we woud have pulled up the draw bridge stopped all international travel on day one for at least a month or more as new zealand did.

but realistically what politician would have had the balls to do that.

the actions they took were tempered by them  wanting to affect the economy as little as possible.

it was only later they realised it would be affected whatever they did that they then took action even then though not severely enough in my opinion. international travel should have been banned asap and even now should be on hold.

#136013 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I read that in the first lockdown Newcastle upon Tyne traffic levels were at 29% in the second lockdown in November 80%. In the first week of this lockdown they reduced to 70% as of yesterday they were at 79%.
    I was shocked but not totally surprised.

#136014 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

A much easier decision for New Zealand of course as it’s not an international hub and air passenger numbers in and out were relatively low.

#136016 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I think it was a very difficult decision for New Zealand, a very brave one too.

Tourism to New Zealand:

Tourism generated a direct contribution to gross domestic product (GDP) of $16.2 billion, or 5.8 percent of GDP. The indirect value added of industries supporting tourism generated an additional $11.2 billion, or 4.0 percent of GDP.

#136023 Reply
    Mike11

My uncle and his wife had the vaccine last Friday they are 80 and 79 years of algae they having next vaccine in 12 weeks my question is can I visit them in 13 weeks ? Not saw them for a year

#136033 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

as far as i can see, no the restrictions still apply wether youve had the jab or not.

any vacceine is not 100% and may only lesson symptoms etc.

#136038 Reply
    Daf

I believe you Wigwam lol!

66% of patients in Welsh hospitals have covid and Critical care is at 152% of normal capacity. Believe me I have no intention to frighten people but 38% of those with covid in criticalcare will not survive.

Please stay safe and take every precaution. Believe me you underestimate this illness at your peril, especially when the vaccine light is at the end of the tunnel

#136061 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Mitch, you say “the actions they [our politicians] took were tempered by them  wanting to affect the economy as little as possible.” I have to disagree. What they did – best described as “not enough” – was done to prevent them losing popularity, thus losing votes, not getting elected and losing their power. I believe that the health of the economy and/or the lives of our people mean nothing to them. They just want power at all costs.

#136063 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Having climbed the greasy poll to get into parliament, every MP’s first aim is to ensure they stay there.  Those in safe seats can take a more objective view than the others, unless of course they are sucking up to the leadership for more advancement.  That leaves a very few who are really working for us, the electorate.

And another consideration is that many of them are not very bright.

#136154 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Why not to trust Public Health England’s death figures:

“PHE has been counting all deaths in people who have laboratory-confirmed infection – this is technically robust because it does not require a judgement to be made about cause of death.”

ONS figures are more accurate.

Behind the headlines: Counting COVID-19 deaths

• This reply was modified 2 days, 11 hours ago by Wigwam.
    #136164 Reply
    Brydo

At some point the Government will need to answer as to why so many people have died/caught covid. Just now is not the right time, but soon.

#136165 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

#136169 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I think your data is old and does not include the whole year. From the ONS website posted on the 12th January:

Be careful out there Wigwam some people try to play with figures.

#136171 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks for the updated figures wmc. The deaths per 1000 population are the most informing. I’ll calculate them later.

#136182 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The 85 year old lady next door has been called for her injection, 35 miles away in Birmingham, she rung our local surgery to see if she could get in done just down the road in Stafford, answer NO, we don’t deal with them, you will have to go to Cannock or Rugeley. Does not fill you with enthusiasm

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#136185 Reply
    Brydo

father in law thought he was getting his jab next week, got a call this morning asking if he was coming to get his jab as he had missed his appointment.  He apologized and explained he had got mixed up with the dates, they told him to go down and he would get “fitted in”. So he got the Oxford vaccine and he will be contacted within 12 weeks for his second jab.

#136193 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Glad your father-in-law got sorted, Brydo. Weight off mind. Not much happening here (Sussex). Both next-door neighbours well north of 80 years. Heard nothing. GP still doing no face-to-face stuff. And he’s heard nothing about vaccinating from NHS.

Also, saw on Beeb this a.m. that pharmacies are doing jabs. Reporter in shop talking to “nurse” who wore only a nose/ mouth mask, No gloves. No apron. No visor. Moreover, around 20 folks in open perspex booths waiting to be seen to, few masks. You’d think the shop would try to get a workable appointment system working given the soaring rate of infections/deaths. Difficult, I know, but, well…

Viewing 25 replies - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,090 total)
Reply To: Coronavirus
Your information: