Coronavirus

• Creator
    Topic
  • #108156 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 652 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #109317 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Not to take away from the seriousness of your message, POPS, but I tried that earlier. I announced I was going to self-isolate today and stay in bed.  Mrs W was having none of it and demanded I go over to my daughter-in-law’s and fix her car.  But there will be children there, I protested, children!  That’s ok, she said. I’ll get her to throw you the car keys…

#109320 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that info with us Mike 700. Any of us who are in more vulnerable groups whether it be due to age, diabetes, heart or respiratory or any other of the numerous problems that afflict us or our loved ones, should be self isolating now (if possible). The older we get or the more health issues we have the less effective our immune systems become, so if we’re more vulnerable it makes sense to take our own very stringent precautions.

May I also add that if you look at the total number of deaths on any particular day, then work back a minimum 7 days to the number of people infected, you can work out a rough & ready death rate from known positive tests rate, which persistently are around 10% so far. So cases on the 7th March were 206 and deaths today on the 14th March are 21, so 9.81%.

If you are terrified then you have every right to be, however, we have little idea of the real numbers of those infected but not tested, so the real death rate may well be around 1% as broadcast far & wide by our Government.

Don’t Panic – Just press the button on the soap dispenser & get washing your hands properly.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by gothitjulie.
    #109324 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that info with us Mike 700. Any of us who are in more vulnerable groups whether it be due to age, diabetes, heart or respiratory or any other of the numerous problems that afflict us or our loved ones, should be self isolating now (if possible). The older we get or the more health issues we have the less effective our immune systems become, so if we’re more vulnerable it makes sense to take our own very stringent precautions.

Unfortunately I am getting on a bit, have diabetes and scarring to my lungs, I am going to keep a low profile.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#109332 Reply
    POPS

My son’s girlfriend who lives with us had a visit from her mother and sister this afternoon. As soon as they arrived I went up to my bedroom after holding a short conversation with them from the top of the stairs. One is a senior paramedic manager and the other is a vet, so they obviously realised that my ‘distancing’ wasn’t me being anti social. After they left we wiped down the door handles, surfaces etc with anti bacterial wipes which took a minute or two at most.

I am surprised how quickly we are adapting our behaviour into self protection mode.

#109334 Reply
    Footloose

Hi all,

id just like to say to everyone please stay safe and make the most of the forum especially if you are isolating or just keeping an eye on things and playing clever.What I will say is as a type 1 diabetic I had the worst flu ever last year from October to December (7 weeks!)and antibiotics didn’t work neither did the flu jab though I’m generally healthy but I’ve been asking myself”did I have coronavirus?”as the advice was to rest even callling nhs 24 concerned as it wasn’t shifting and an x ray showed nothing but was told not to attend hospital instead attending my GP surgery 3-4 occasions?Therefore was it around earlier than reported?

#109337 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

My Brother in Law has a bit of a cold, so he calls into Tesco”s Pharmacy on hid way home tonight, to get some  medicine etc, and ‘ the pharmacist’ ordered him out of  the shop!

Paranoia or proper procedure?  I don’t know, but a 75 year old, with a bad chest and a cold was told to leave- on his way out he just picked up some Tesco paracetamol and some generic medicine and paid at the self checkout!

#109350 Reply
    Carl

I have multiple conditions and an almost non existent immune statem…. I am taking this virus very seriously indeed!! I just wish our government would do the same…..it appear to me that they are being apathetic in comparison to stringent control measures being taken by most other countries.

#109352 Reply
    Elly

I think this isn’t just about whether you are more prone to catching it or not but also about how you are able to manage or not if you do contract it. Someone may not be in the group of people expected to be vulnerable due to immunology issues but may be in a category of less able to manage it if they contract it, due to mobility issues like us, therefore leaving the lungs particularly vulnerable to problems due to lack of exercise and movement which would usually help to keep secretions moving.
    The ‘vulnerable’ in my eyes are not just those with immunology issues but people like us, possibly less able to have a hefty cough or regular exercise.

Please bare this in mind and maybe try some deeper breathing exercises in ‘just in case’ preparation.

My daughter is going to be working on a Covid ward team, I’m taking this very seriously both for her working there and for her coming home to me every day.

I have also heard similar to that government plan from Simone who knows, only I didn’t appreciate the third stage is for so long. Scarey. And no, I haven’t stockpiled toilet rolls. Or beans!

#109353 Reply
    Elly

Sorry, not ‘Simone’ but ‘someone who knows’

#109355 Reply
    POPS

I’ve just bought a chest freezer so that my family can increase the number of options we have over the next few months. We won’t be panic buying but we will add a couple of extra ingredients or ready meals each time one or other goes shopping. As most of my family live very close to me it will be ideal as a family hub. It’s not hoarding, it’s just steady sensible preparation.

My daughter in law who lives three doors away from me, is printing off some cards to give to our neighbours and elderly people who live near by, giving her contact number with a short message that if they need anything, they can give her a ring and she’ll do her best to help them.

We all need to prepare as best we can.

#109356 Reply
    POPS

Sorry, not ‘Simone’ but ‘someone who knows’

That made me laugh Elly.

#109357 Reply
    POPS

ITV news are saying that “the over seventies with or without symptoms will be ordered to self isolate for four months under a ‘wartime mobilisation’ effort due to be imposed in the next twenty days”.

If any one was in doubt about the wisdom of preparation, then this news item shows that the government have finally been forced to face reality and act seriously.

#109361 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The ITV news item is Robert Peston’s view of what may happen.  I for one am not taking it as close to reality. He has form…

#109364 Reply
    BluecloudUK

I’m a Cub Scout Leader with multiple vulnerabilities and my wife has sufficient disabilities that keep her at home the majority of the time.

I made my own hand sanitiser using BAC50, glycerin and sterilised water.

We’re both asthmatic and were ensuring that we have both preventer and reliever inhalers on us at all times.

We always order our home cleaning stuff in bulk every 2-3 months and our last order arrived about 2 weeks ago.

Mrs BluecloudUK is a retired nurse (no she will not be going back to work) and all my hygiene courses are up-to-date.

I don’t want to sound smug but I think we’re about covered.

The chances are that we’ll probably both get a dose of the virus at some point but I just want to minimise the exposure with good hygiene procedures which is about all anyone can do.

#109365 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

My daughter has cancelled her wedding for this may off the back of advice from a friend who works in the local hospital lab, she says in the next few months we are likely to see a lot of closures and restrictions in some movement, luckily we took out insurance so it can just be re booked when this is all over.
    My daughters future mother in law is elderly and just had heart surgery and the future father in law is 87 and has diabetes and angina.

I have heart disease and I’m on immune suppressing meds and my wife is type 1 diabetic.

The main problem for myself and my wife is shopping isn’t an easy thing for us with our disabilities and mobility so  I’ve been putting off shopping as I can’t cope with long queues or being bumped into by idiots panic buying.

My kids have all been working so tomorrow we will have to go and do a big shop or we’ll be eating the dogs food. Let’s hope there is some food left on the shelves.

#109377 Reply
    Brydo

My son is in Phoenix on holiday, due back on Wednesday, he got a text or email to say his flight is cancelled. He can’t get in touch with anyone as the phone is constantly engaged he has text and emailed them but with no reply.

Not sure what else can be done.

#109378 Reply
    Brydo

Or how he will get home.

#109390 Reply
    Elly

The ITV news item is Robert Peston’s view of what may happen.  I for one am not taking it as close to reality. He has form…

Please take it seriously. This is all part of the steady release of government plans and will be happening soon.

#109391 Reply
    Brydo

There is no doubt this is serious but in my area there are 10 cases out of 650,000 population. This will rise in the coming weeks but hopefully, now we know how it moves from person to person, will not rise as quickly as forecast.

#109394 Reply
    PillBoy
    Participant

I’ve made my own hand sanitizer also.  I’ve got the World Health Organisation instructions for medical units worldwide to make their own.  Obviously it has to be made to scale, I didn’t fancy making 50 litres. 😉

A friend of mine works as a professional in a private hospital and told me that as of last week they had locked down one ward with patients and 2 staff members have been sent home to self isolate.

They said that they had been liasing with the NHS and were told the NHS will be in chaos if the expected numbers come to fruition.

Britain has one of the lowest amount of hospital beds per head in the developed world.  China built loads of prefabricated hospitals overnight to be able to treat people.  Our ICU bed numbers are tiny compared to what is needed.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by PillBoy.
    #109396 Reply
    Clipped wings

You are spot on pillboy. You wonder what our billions of tax money has been spent on – apart from the 500 jag iPaces bought as highly subsidised benefits for the management. My mate has just returned from Hong Kong, a retired Cathay Pacific captain, and is horrified at the inadequate, reactive approach here.. in January, flights from Wuhan to Heathrow were met by someone handing out leaflets. It didn’t give directions to Bicester discount mall so was probably immediately binned. Please don’t spit would be branded as racist. During SARS, in hkg plastic covers were put over elevator buttons and wiped every 4 hours. Ditto door handles throughout the hotel. I had to take off my hat and was temperature screened at the airport. We wave people through from infected zones and tell people to self isolate when symptoms appear when it is known to be transmittable during incubation days before that. Spread is exponential and back peddling from thursdays herd immunity announcement self evident. An appalling concept that was callous to the elderly and infirm. Hopeless response all round. Rant over

#109397 Reply
    Clipped wings

The foreign office has just announced that they discourage travel to the USA. We have already been barred as from tomorrow anyway. I flew through both gulf wars, 9/11 sars swine flu h1n1 and many other threats. This one I fear is easily the biggest threat to even well financed airlines. Tough times ahead and as my wife and I are both high risk for different reasons, are self isolating already.

#109400 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

My son is in Phoenix on holiday, due back on Wednesday, he got a text or email to say his flight is cancelled. He can’t get in touch with anyone as the phone is constantly engaged he has text and emailed them but with no reply. Not sure what else can be done.

He can contact the British embassy for advice. But he will likely have to wait until the ban is lifted or fly to another country not effected if possible and then fly home?
    hope he keeps safe regardless of this mate.

#109402 Reply
    brydo

I’ve just found out there is a flight back home 4 hours after his cancelled flight so hopefully he will be on that one.

#109404 Reply
    Clipped wings

I wish him a good flight. Was a favourite destination both work and vacation. Only direct flight to Europe for many years, 747 or 777 but see now two 787 Dreamliners per day. I have been in contact with a couple of ba mates and they are fearfully for their jobs. Cathay Pacific alone have 110 aircraft parked with crews on unpaid leave. 9/11 shut down was USA only and lasted 6 days. This is going to be much longer and global. A perennial problem is that they deem something is unsafe. Eg 737 max. It is then very difficult to undo and say the situation is now safe. Going to be a long shut down methinks with many stranded passengers. Fingers crossed for Brydo junior. The last 3 days have shown increases of @25,25 and 43% today’s numbers soon

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 652 total)
Reply To: Coronavirus
Your information: