Coronavirus

This topic contains 413 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 1 hour, 52 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #108156 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 251 through 275 (of 413 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #110010 Reply

Philjb

You never know Brian they still may honour it when they open.
    I did see a Kia garage post that they were doing everything to stay open, delivering test drives, collecting delivering service cars, emailing paperwork etc.

#110018 Reply

POPS

Fillet of fish nice I always have pot of curry sauce with the chips

(Menorca) Mike, I know you love eating out and that you do so regularly, so I guess it’s going to be a difficult change to make when the lock down happens very soon.

Why don’t you start a “Meal Ideas” thread for us, so that we can exchange ideas and recipes to help relieve the boredom of the same old home cooking.

#110019 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I will pops do you mean off topic thread ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#110021 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Article

Coronavirus: ‘Bin lipstick testers’ chemists told

High street pharmacy chains say they will be removing all make-up product testers from stores for the foreseeable future, to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

The virus is carried in cough droplets and on objects contaminated with them.

Sample lipsticks, eyeliners and other beauty products which can be tried on by lots of different customers are too risky to leave on display, say Boots and Superdrug.

They say stores will act immediately.

Some pharmacies – including large chains and small independent stores – which the BBC visited in London on Saturday had samples on display, despite also carrying warning notices about coronavirus and sticking hazard tape to the floor to help customers keep their distance from one another.

Boots said: “To ensure the health and safety of our customers and colleagues, we introduced new guidance around the use and availability of testers in our stores. In areas where we have beauty consultants, testers have been removed from open display.

“For all other areas of beauty in our stores, including self-selection cosmetics and skincare, we have made the decision to remove all testers.

“We are continuing to make sure that hand sanitiser is available for all of our beauty advisers and customers in stores, to use after handling products. We’re also encouraging all colleagues to wash their hands regularly and have introduced additional cleaning across our beauty halls.”

Superdrug said: “We have taken the decision to remove all product testers from stores for the foreseeable future as part of our commitment to ensuring the highest standard of safety and hygiene for our customers and colleagues. We will continue to monitor the situation, in line with government, PHE and NHS guidance around Covid-19.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#110079 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car
    #110081 Reply

POPS

I will pops do you mean off topic thread ?

Off topic please Mike. Cheers.

#110084 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

I have taken the chance to speak to a few friends and old work colleagues this past week.  What struck me was the difference in attitudes and the indifference of a few. To be fair most wanted more measures and were critical of the “selfish” people who were treating the weekend as a holiday but a couple were totally indifferent saying it´s all hyped up and, come what may, “I will still be cycling and taking my dog out twice a day and we are off on holiday next month but as its in the UK will definitely still be going!” We need to try and come together as a nation, if not Covid 19 could be as divisive as Brexit. Like many I am “looking forward” to 12 weeks at home, lots of box sets, books and other tasks and interests will be needed to pass the time. Luckily now we have the benefits of the internet and Skype calls. Hope everyone is in good health.

#110085 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Will start today pops later

#110087 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Just an observation , not related to anyone on here-

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see’!

There are none so thick as those who work in the Media!

There are none so unpatriotic as those who constantly bring party politics
    into a National Emergency situation.

There are none so dangerous as those who undermine our Government in this National Emergency, complaining about & Ignoring the advice and instructions & thereby putting family, friends, strangers etc at risk – they, of course can’t see that they are doing anything wrong! Hence-

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see ‘!

#110088 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Fwippers, I find too many people I talk to are getting near to paranoia about the situation.  While I agree the generality of what we are told to do, and deplore the stupidity of some people as demonstrated at the weekend, I don’t see why cycling and taking the dog out should be condemned. Keep away from people is all that’s needed. Today I will be going to the tip and getting petrol and having a walk.

#110089 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i would check the tip is open wigwam, our recycling centre has shut.

#110090 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Can we still go to fill up with petrol ?

#110091 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

A good point Mitch. I checked the Council’s website this morning and it wasn’t listed amongst the closures but after your comment I phoned and indeed they are shut. Doesn’t make sense to me, but there we are!

#110092 Reply

mitch
    Participant

doctors appointment has been changed to a phone call consult, cant quite see how that will work unless its done video call as theres some stuff they need to see. i dont think a description over the phone will work.

#110093 Reply

Philjb

I’ve got an urgent cardiologist appointment on Friday and that’s been cancelled until April at least.
    My rheumatologist appointment has been changed to a phone call too.

mike the advice is to only get petrol if it’s urgent and make sure you use disposable gloves. Keep 2m apart from others etc for us as we depend on our cars I’d say yes if your empty then fill up.

#110094 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Expect queues at Asda and Morrisons pumps as they have reduced prices by 12p a litre.

#110096 Reply

Georgie

People are still allowed to go for a walk/walk their dogs once a day.  Just keep your distance as you pass people.

Anyone who thinks they’ll still be going on holiday, even in Britain, are probably in for a rude awakening because campsites and caravan parks have also been shut down, along with hotels, etc.

Imho – Chemists such as Boots should (not will, but should) only have the Pharmacy open, plus a till for medical needs only (e.g dressings, creams, etc.), not make-up or other stuff that can be purchased from a regular supermarket.  Make-up is NOT an ‘essential’ – and I say this as a woman with an extensive collection of nail varnish. 🙂

#110101 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Make-up can potentially be an essential for some, I can have it prescribed.

Saying that, I don’t care enough to get it prescribed & if anyone has a problem with my PWS birthmark then I’ll gladly burn an equivalent into their face.

#110102 Reply

gillan

£600m of ingredients each year from 23,000 British and Irish farmers that supply McDonalds  instead of mince beef for fast food burgers, it will be prime cuts for the supermarkets.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farming/mcdonald-s-coronavirus-closures-will-divert-norfolk-farm-supplies-to-supermarkets-1-6575924

Looks like we will all have to eat McDonalds crap now

#110104 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

£600m of ingredients each year from 23,000 British and Irish farmers will be prime cuts for the supermarkets. Looks like we will all have to eat McDonalds crap now

What a fantastic point. All the canteen, restaurants and cafe’s supply will feed into the supermarkets.  I do hope there are no buying or supply chain issues and it gets onto the shelves quickly.

#110110 Reply

Philjb

Not all people can still go out to walk their dog or exercise.

I was surprised to hear that M&S stores are still open just not the cafes.

The beef and chicken Mc Donald’s buy are just the same as on supermarket shelves anyway.
    One thing you can be sure about is prices won’t come down.

#110116 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

I expect the “exercise” and “dog walking” to be withdrawn in the next couple of days (the reason which will be given will be failure of some to follow the rules)  and greater enforcement to ensure the streets are empty. These two “concessions” are part of a phased approach, albeit a rapid one. Basically we will all (save key workers) be confined to our homes.

#110118 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

It’s only retail that’s being restricted – industry and commerce is continuing. If those are shut down the economy will stall. Are you saying you’re expecting all movement to stop, fwippers?

#110119 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

The tube trains were full in London this morning I saw on television

#110135 Reply

mitch
    Participant

already coventry police have had to break up 20 odd people having a bbq.

Viewing 25 replies - 251 through 275 (of 413 total)
Reply To: Coronavirus

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

One thought on “Coronavirus”