Competition Needed For Motability

This topic contains 91 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar daveblue 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85160 Reply
    martino

If there was another company that leased cars to disabled people with all the same stuff motablility do RAC tires mileage insurance ect then it might drive the advance payments down and maybe bring on more cars, also allow us to pick the one that does the best deal, the what we do all with everything else in life, and stop motability have the monopoly,

or am i just dreaming

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85163 Reply
    Dave

The only person I know that would be interested in making a profit out of our  PIP money would be Richard Branson.

Virgin Mobility Cars anybody?

#85164 Reply
    Philjb

I bet MrBranson has already looked into this.

How about stelios and easy mobility?

As long as it allowed more quality and not budget cars.

#85171 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

I’m actually offended by this thread.

WE are being provided with access to an astonishing range of vehicles all paid for by the taxpayer and yet people are here complaining because they resent the fact that because they choose something better than a basic model, they actually have to pay something out of their own pocket!

That’s either incredible selfish or it’s basic arrogance. I’m not sure which but either way, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Current car: Kia Sportage 2.0 KX3 CRDI AWD auto.

Coming soon: VW Tiguan R-Line Tech auto in nice shiny black. 🙂

#85173 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

The scheme offers incredible value and choice for the customer, there’s nothing else like it in the world. Nobody is forced to use it or pay big AP’s, there’s something for everyone apart from those who want the moon on a stick.

If Motabilty can make a massive profit from supplying me with a good car, good value and good service then good luck to them.

#85174 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The scheme offers incredible value and choice for the customer, there’s nothing else like it in the world. Nobody is forced to use it or pay big AP’s, there’s something for everyone apart from those who want the moon on a stick. If Motabilty can make a massive profit from supplying me with a good car, good value and good service then good luck to them.

My thoughts exactly.

Motablity is an astonishing organisation staffed by some truly fabulous people and they deserve better than to be criticised in this manner. As you say, there are plenty of alternatives for those who think they can do better.

#85175 Reply
    EVman

He is like others who can not get a decent EV on the scheme. The Motability Wiki makes interesting reading. Explains why there is a monopoly.

#85180 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

He is like others who can not get a decent EV on the scheme. The Motability Wiki makes interesting reading. Explains why there is a monopoly.

There are other options available if you don’t want to use Motability.

#85184 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I have no problem with Motability Operations being a monopoly supplier, but it does need better oversight in my view.  We agree to hand over our PIP mobility payments, and extra cash in most cases, to get a car.  That payment is our money to give for no other purpose than to get a car.  Is monopolyit right for the supplier of that car then make large surpluses from that business and hand that money to Motability the charity to spend on other matters?   After all, it’s our money.  If Motability Operations make surpluses shouldn’t that money be returned to us?

#85185 Reply
    EVman

The Labour party are indeed looking at seizing that public money back.

#85186 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

After all, it’s our money. If Motability Operations make surpluses shouldn’t that money be returned to us?

It’s not YOUR money, it’s the taxpayers money and even though Motability make a profit, as individuals we still get astonishing value for the money we hand over.

#85188 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

theres nothing to stop individuals funding their own car or taking out a private lease or hp agreement.

occasionally there are deals to be had, there was one for jeep compass that was as good if not cheaper than motability.

but i suspect like others what he wants are vehicles that are currently outside the cap.there has to be a limit in part due to the weekly amount to fund the lease and partly to keep the ap reasonable. if someone can afford a huge ap larger than is currently allowed then they can afford to go private. but of course they want motabilities buying power to reduce the cost for them so they dont have to pay list price.

#85189 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

in part that is being returned in the increased gcb. but imagine the daily mails reaction if motability lost money.

i have no problem surpluses going to the charity to help those with very severe disabilites with grants for wavs and specially adapted vehicles.

#85190 Reply
    EVman

In these uncertain times it is good that with motability you can simply give the car back and regain your benefits. That is where the beauty of motability for the disabled lies.

#85191 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

DougieB, it is NOT the taxpayers money.  The government is not giving us a car, as they did with the blue invalid carriages.  The government give us money to help overcome our disabilities.  We can spend that on a world cruise if we wish.  We can spend it on Taxis instead of getting a car from Motability or anywhere else, many do.  There is no obligation to do anything particular with it, because once given, it is our money, not the taxpayers.

#85195 Reply
    Confusicated
    Participant

Taxpayers money is OUR money FFS!

Many of us are taxpayers still.

Many others have been.

Those who have never been able to work are not ‘lesser’ than taxpayers.

Also, PIP and other disability benefits are not a handout to scroungers, and I resent the implication on this thread by some that we are – especially if they themselves are disabled. Or that we are supposed to be grateful – bow, grovel, knuckling of forehead – for the charity handout.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Mota cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

#85196 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i resent that you even think that i said or implied that confusicated, i have no problem with individuals using their allowance how they want, the scheme being a govt scheme rightly has to have limits. wether the current limits are too high or too low is open to debate and for some disabilities i think there ought to be some leeway if a particular vehicle would be a better fit.

but to say it should be open house just because individuals have a thing about electric vehicles and arent prepared to pay the current price and want motability to use their buying power to reduce that is not on.

could there be better oversight of the scheme? like anything i am sure it could be improved. but be careful what you wish for government of any colour tend to cut rather than enhance.

#85197 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

DougieB, it is NOT the taxpayers money. The government is not giving us a car, as they did with the blue invalid carriages. The government give us money to help overcome our disabilities. We can spend that on a world cruise if we wish. We can spend it on Taxis instead of getting a car from Motability or anywhere else, many do. There is no obligation to do anything particular with it, because once given, it is our money, not the taxpayers.

Ultimately, it is still taxpayers money and YES, I too am a taxpayer and have been for my entire working life so am well aware of the sensitivities of that statement. That does not however, deter me from making it because ANY money handed out by the state is effectively MY money.

And yes, we should all be grateful for the help we receive from the state because it helps make our lives easier. No one begrudges assistance to anyone who deserves or requires it but it is a bit rich asking for motability to hand money back to us when we use it by choice.

#85199 Reply
    Philjb

Pip is an award not a benefit as it’s tax free, i work as well so pay a lot of tax and have done over more then 45 years.

now I need help as my disability effects my mobility to a point where if it wasn’t for pip I’d have to stop working.

I don’t think there is any harm in a little competition myself.

But im still grateful for the helping hand to keep me active and mobile. Im not after any vehicle not currently on the scheme and am very happy with the car we got.

In fact my wife is also eligible to get a motability car, but chooses not too.

#85203 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

So DougieB, I presume when you next go to Tesco and spend some   of  the money you are given as an award for your disability, you won’t ask for your change.  Motability Operations is a commercial organisation, not a charity.

#85204 Reply
    Dougie B

<Motability Operations is a commercial organisation, not a charity.>

Which is the exact point I’m making when I say that if people have complaints about Motability, they are free to shop elsewhere.

I do not.

#85205 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Let me put it like this – I am as grateful as we all are here (or should be) for the opportunities PIP payments create for us.  What I am not so happy with is that Motability Operations takes more from us than they need to for supplying a car and we have no voice concerning what happens to the extra money we have given them.

#85206 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

One of the downside of competition is it may attract those companies who’s first concerns are it’s shareholders as we’ve seen in all our utilities companies or worst still companies that cream off their customers and the profits go out of the country to subsidise there business customer elsewhere in the World.

#85208 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Price competition causes businesses to be leaner and more efficient if they are to survive in the market.  There is no market for the Motability scheme.  Motability Operations can splurge  our money on high salaries, benefits and pensions for their staff and directors (as they do) without effective oversight.  Yes of course we can go elsewhere, but why should we?

#85214 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i think most agree there needs to be better oversight, in part the “profits” have come from a bouyant used car market and motability getting more for the car at the end of lease than they thought they would. and the lack of response when that became apparent and the length of time it took to become apparent. someone got complacent and took their eye off the ball to mix metaphors. their fix was to increase the gcb and gift a sum to the charity as they probably couldnt find an equitable way of giving money back.

given the diesel hatred esposed by govt now it will be interesting to see what happens to used car prices but motability do need to get a grip on their processes to react more quickly to these things and ensure its in the customers favour not theirs.

some form of competition could be acheived simply by allowing us to use our allowance with another lease company but would they be able to offer the same or better terms? some are notorious for billing for allsorts at the end of lease etc.whereas motability are very leniant.

#85215 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I agree with wigwam, the service is good but could be much cheaper.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
Reply To: Competition Needed For Motability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: