Brexit Day

This topic contains 56 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  fwippers 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #104574 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

As we are now fast approaching the moment the UK ceases to be a member of the EU, the BBC has issued the following advice:

Stay indoors.
    Keep your bathtub and other receptacles full of water.
    Keep foodstuffs in a dry, cool area.
    Have a good stock of batteries and torches.
    If you have a cellar, remain within it.
    Do not open any windows.
    Stay away from glass.
    If any member of your family should die during Brexit, put them outside. But remember to tag them first, for identification purposes.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #105515 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

Rumours, which Nissan has been forced to deny, suggest in the event of a no deal they will keep their Sunderland Plant and produce cars mainly for the UK market whilst closing two in mainland Europe, one in France and one in Spain.

#105530 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Rumours, which Nissan has been forced to deny, suggest in the event of a no deal they will keep their Sunderland Plant and produce cars mainly for the UK market whilst closing two in mainland Europe, one in France and one in Spain.

This fictitious outcome based on a rumour includes Nissan creating a 20% market share here in the UK, pretty hard to do with four (mostly outdated) models and a sole electric car (they presently have a falling 4% share). The only way for this to happen is that ‘Boom Boom’ makes such a hash of any deal with the EU that importing a car from the EU makes it restrictively expensive.

The reality is that Sunderland is probably doomed, they have already removed the night shift, unless the UK government can pull a rabbit out of the hat in the trade negotiations.

#105533 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Maybe not, wmc. From Automotive News Europe:

Nissan will unveil the new Qashqai in September, 2020, the source said. The Qashqai is Nissan’s best-seller in Europe, with 183,896 sold in the first 10 months, down 11 percent, according to JATO.

Nissan will drop diesel versions of the next Qashqai, the source said. Instead it will introduce its E-power hybrid technology that has been a big success for the brand in Japan. The new Qashqai was previewed by the IMQ concept at the 2019 Geneva auto show.

Both the X-trail and Qashqai are expected to be offered with alliance partner Mitsubishi’s plug-in hybrid system used in next Outlander model, media reports have said. All three models will use the alliance’s CMF platform.

The electric SUV previewed by the Ariya concept at the Tokyo auto show in November will arrive late 2020 or early 2021, the source said.

#105534 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@wigwam, I stand corrected. One in every five cars sold in the UK will be a Nissan.

#105539 Reply

JS

Lol

#105540 Reply

JS

I tend to use SMMT for car facts and figures, very useful site albeit addictive

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

#105543 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I use parkers – lots of stats there but you do have to dig a bit sometimes

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#105824 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

Fine weather today precedes tomorrow’s storm as Brexit negotiations are now in full swing with the government quite correctly setting out it’s broad position but with the pendulum having swung in our direction since the election and with the Eurozone stagnant. I believe the country is well equipped to deal with a no deal and it is a possibility that as far as motabiliy is concerned we could have a smaller choice as could the general public. Such is the influence of Germany within the EU that a deal could be more straightforward to achieve as a no deal will affect them substantially and this may well be achievable without compromising on fishing rights, something which is likely to impact on any future indyref2 where those waters will be surrendered again to the EU.

#105863 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

You’re assuming, fwippers, that the SNP survive the scandals…

#105871 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure what that woman is thinking to be honest. The Labour Party turned around and tried to overthrow a referendum result and then got decimated in the Election. Sturgeons response? Ok, lets try to overthrow the independence referendum result as it worked out so well for Labour…

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#105872 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Only Scottish waters fwippers English waters would still be safe in your hands so no problem there.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#105879 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Although I do understand your concern as Scotland has 60% of British fishing waters England could easily run out of fish before we even join the EU.

#105880 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Did i mention that scottish waters were the richest in Europe with around 4 tonnes of fish taken from each square nautical mile of Scottish waters compared to around 1 tonne on average for EU waters.

#105881 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I know i didnt mention that 90% of the standing fresh water volume of Great Britain lies within Scotland, as this would only be important if England ran out of water because of say global warming.

They say fresh water will be the new oil in the decades to come and we have plenty of it.

#105944 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

I have a feeling there will not be an indyref2 as the SNP will fail to secure sufficient seats at Holyrood in 2022.

#105962 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I have a feeling that if my aunty had a moustache she’d be my uncle.

#105963 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

The future will, in the fullness if time, unveil itself to those who await.

#105964 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Fwippers the thing about any independence vote is that it should be for the Scottish government to decide not some Tory toff buffoon.

If the Scottish Parliament decide, FOR WHATEVER REASON, to have an independence vote then they should but they should pay for it out of the money allocated to it from Westminster. The Scottish voters will then decide their own future in a fair and free referendum.

If it fails they could have another one the following week, the Scottish people would soon get sick of it and vote out the government in charge of these continuous referenda.

So the point I’m making is we, the Scottish people, should decide if and when a referendum is necessary, no one else.

#106117 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

No, Brydo, what you propose is illegal in international law. Please give it a rest. It’s not going to happen.

#106118 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Not sure why your so bothered  wigwam.

#106119 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

You may have a good point, Brydo.

#106120 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

As always wigwam.

I do find any negativity about Scottish independence from non Scots a bit strange. If the English people wanted to be independent I would wish them well.

#106121 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

You don’t see the rise of Nationalism as divisive and dangerous then?

#106124 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

There is danger everywhere wigwam all we can hope is that there are many more good people out there to ensure noble intentions are not hijacked.

#106127 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

History suggests otherwise, Brydo.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
Reply To: Brexit Day

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: