BMW order X1

• Creator
    Topic
  • #156665 Reply
    Carla

Has anyone had problems with their order  being pushed further and further back for delivery.

I am now being told it could  be August.  Am I within my rights to say no to an August delivery when the new reg is a couple of weeks away  on 1st September?

I would appreciate your comments.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #156668 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

Generally speaking, the car will be registered as soon as it arrives at the dealership, so you have no control in the matter whatever, it’s purely date dependent

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#156674 Reply
    Shellie

When did you order it ours is looking like week of 30th August I’ve asked my dealership if they will register it on 1st sep if it comes on the Monday she people get nowt probably won’t happen but have to ask

#156675 Reply
    Bob Plummer

Just taken delivery of my X1 22nd June ordered in December, delivery was due in April.A word of caution, I have replaced my previous X1 but the spec has changed. If you need lashing points in the boot to secure a scooter for example check they are fitted before you sign for the car.As far as the reg. is concerned, surely that’s only a vanity thing, it won’t change the car spec.

#156677 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Hi Carla, I would recommend speaking to the dealership, I had a similar issue with my current car which I took delivery on March 1st and the dealership was helpful, even gave me a choice of number plates. Some dealers register early to hit sales targets etc so a call/email is definitely worth it.

#156679 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Generally speaking, the car will be registered as soon as it arrives at the dealership, so you have no control in the matter whatever, it’s purely date dependent

It doesn’t have to be registered immediately. My X1 is currently due to be delivered end July and the dealer said that I could wait until Sep 1st if I wanted the 71 reg. If it was a private car I would do so, as it will affect resale value, but as it’s a lease car and I’m keen to get rid of our VW Tiguan now I will take it ASAP.

Carla – the standard lead time for the X1 is around 5 months. If the dealer implied less they were probably just guessing or blagging to get the order. We ordered in the last week of March and were told to expect September delivery, but the dealer managed to nab a cancelled order slot from another dealership which brought it forward to end July. It then got pushed back back to Sep but the dealer spoke to BMW operations and they agreed to bump it back into production around now. Will believe it when I get it though as almost all manufacturers are experiencing delays due to the semiconductor chip shortage.

#156734 Reply
    Rhodgie

Apart from the pure vanity of waiting till September what possible reason could you have for not wanting to get into your new car ASAP…  it makes no difference to resale value, insurance prices, road tax bands or tech 🤔

#156736 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Maybe Carla wants to get one up on her neighbours who have a 21 reg car and who she has despised ever since they put up a new fence which blocked the light getting to her border plants.  Or maybe it’s for some other reason that’s no-ones business but hers.

#156737 Reply
    Shellie

I am same as Carla if my car gets here on week I’m been quoted at min I want them to hang on to register it on 1st yeah it vanity but I bet there’s lots of people on here that feel the same I know it’s a lease car but I want it as new as it can be mines due week 30th August

#156740 Reply
    Bob

Wow, sorry if I upset anyone, it wasn’t my intention, just happy to get a new reg every three years.

#156741 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Some nasty comments appearing. Whilst personally I would take delivery ASAP I can understand that, for the sake of a few weeks, the vast majority of people would prefer the latest reg, lease car or not. In fact, if ours turns up the last week of August then for the sake of a matter of days I would too.

#156744 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

It’s the same car, no matter what the year of registration, such things interest me not one iota, especially seeing as our cars are leased, and the registration has no effect on value to ourselves

#156749 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It’s the same car, no matter what the year of registration, such things interest me not one iota, especially seeing as our cars are leased, and the registration has no effect on value to ourselves

It doesn’t matter to you and it doesn’t matter much to me either, but we must respect that it does to others. Although they are lease cars they aren’t free. We all pay £10k in sacrificed benefits plus the AP plus any options, so it’s a big financial outlay none the less and only natural that people spending that sort of money would prefer the latest reg. Nothing to do with the spec or residual values.

#156751 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

“nothing to do with spec or residual value”

Well yes, methinks it’s covered under the description of “snob value”

The truth should never be deemed offensive

#156752 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Markw, in kindness, I think you are confusing your opinion with fact. It may be your truth and you are welcome to it.

#156753 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

I’m quite willing to be enlightened as to the actual and perceived benefits of getting a later registration plate on a leased vehicle? If it’s anything other than to impress the neighbors ?

#156754 Reply
    Paul

I’m with those who would prefer to wait a few more days for the latest reg, how that makes me a snob I don’t know 🙄

More like good old fashioned common sense I say and to those that disagree you’re entitled to your opinion, each to their own 👊

#156755 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m quite willing to be enlightened as to the actual and perceived benefits of getting a later registration plate on a leased vehicle? If it’s anything other than to impress the neighbors ?

I’ve already told you, but your mind is made up. I’m sure you aren’t as unpleasant as you sound. Best to just leave it I think.

#157603 Reply
    Carla

WOW what bitchy comments coming from some of you guys.

Yes  first and foremost I am not going to take delivery of a car on the 25th August with the old plate, whether it be vanity, prestige or just plain awkwardness.

I placed the order on 7th January, my status on delivery has been moved 5 times, I presume in favour of another order.  I have never once had an update from the garage, even when my dates have been moved, I have found out on Genius?  I have had to email for it to be confirmed.

I have been told I will not be getting the usual updates on my car status as it moves through factory, he doesn’t know why it’s just not working on my order !!!!!!

To those that say I will receive nothing by having the new plate, maybe not but the resale value to motability will increase, so don’t forget we would not have our cars if not for this charity.

#157604 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

You are perfectly entitled to wait a few days and get the new plate on the vehicle you are paying for, makes it more profitable at the end of the lease as you say.

One thing to be aware of though is ensuring that the dealer knows you want it on a “71” plate as they have been known to register the car as soon as they get it just to get that out of the way before handover and once registered you’re stuck with it!

#157613 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

WOW what bitchy comments coming from some of you guys. Yes first and foremost I am not going to take delivery of a car on the 25th August with the old plate, whether it be vanity, prestige or just plain awkwardness. I placed the order on 7th January, my status on delivery has been moved 5 times, I presume in favour of another order. I have never once had an update from the garage, even when my dates have been moved, I have found out on Genius? I have had to email for it to be confirmed. I have been told I will not be getting the usual updates on my car status as it moves through factory, he doesn’t know why it’s just not working on my order !!!!!! To those that say I will receive nothing by having the new plate, maybe not but the resale value to motability will increase, so don’t forget we would not have our cars if not for this charity.

I’m with you Carla on this one. You are parting with a lot of cash over the term of the lease so what’s wrong in wanting your car to be the latest registration. Take no notice of the haters, I don’t.

#157616 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Carla – as you know, I was also with you on this one and called out some of the unnecessary and unpleasant responses. Just wanted to say that you make a great point about the improved residual values helping Motability. I must be honest that I hadn’t considered that. Our new car is due end July / early August and we intend to take immediate delivery, but if it’s delayed by a few weeks I might now delay to 1st September. Our dealer suggested this approach anyway.

#157617 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

WOW what bitchy comments coming from some of you guys. Yes first and foremost I am not going to take delivery of a car on the 25th August with the old plate, whether it be vanity, prestige or just plain awkwardness. I placed the order on 7th January, my status on delivery has been moved 5 times, I presume in favour of another order. I have never once had an update from the garage, even when my dates have been moved, I have found out on Genius? I have had to email for it to be confirmed. I have been told I will not be getting the usual updates on my car status as it moves through factory, he doesn’t know why it’s just not working on my order !!!!!! To those that say I will receive nothing by having the new plate, maybe not but the resale value to motability will increase, so don’t forget we would not have our cars if not for this charity.

Given the pretty appalling level of service by your BMW dealer, and the slow progress, you’ll be lucky to get the vehicle this side of September anyway.

#157630 Reply
    Paul

Wow is this one still rumbling on? 😂

I was with you from the outset Carla and I still am 👊

#157659 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

wow! for some reason ive only just come accross this and wow, wind your necks in people of course anyone would wait for the reg change if its only a few days away silly not too.

just contact the dealer and make sure they are aware of your wishes as some do get a little carried away and register them without consulting.

#157673 Reply
    Carla

Hi thanks for your replies, let’s wait and see what happens I have spoken with motability who are in favour and emailed the garage with my request.

On another point did any of you with BMW orders have updates during yours cars journey and were given a choice of reg plate?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
Reply To: BMW order X1
Your information: