BMW order X1

• Creator
    Topic
  • #156665 Reply
    Carla

Has anyone had problems with their order  being pushed further and further back for delivery.

I am now being told it could  be August.  Am I within my rights to say no to an August delivery when the new reg is a couple of weeks away  on 1st September?

I would appreciate your comments.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157676 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

it used to be a dealership got a selection of numbers and you could pick from about a dozen. i know my first motability car a citroen this was done but the last 2 mini’s i wasnt.

i think the regs are done centrally now individually rather than the dealer being issued a block.

#157679 Reply
    coxy
    Participant

Hi Carla

I was in the same position as you, my X1 was delieverd to the dealership on feb 20th this year. I was able to arrange delivery for the 1st March.

The new X1 is worth the wait, a big improvement over my previous X1.

#157680 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi thanks for your replies, let’s wait and see what happens I have spoken with motability who are in favour and emailed the garage with my request. On another point did any of you with BMW orders have updates during yours cars journey and were given a choice of reg plate?

Hi Carla. I’ve had first class service from my dealer, who has pro-actively emailed me every two weeks or so with an update, even if to say that there is no news. It might help that I previously bought a new private 5 Series from them 5 years ago and was discussing with them the possibility of buying a new X5 just before the pandemic, but the person that I am dealing with is one of the few car sales people that I trust. No bullshit and tells me what’s going on and what the issues are. As for reg, no discussions yet but I might pop a private plate on it that I already own, so I’m not too bothered. I would let the dealer know that you would like to choose from what they have available, prior to them doing it automatically. In doing so it gives you an excuse to ask what stage the order is at.

#157681 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

That’s great to hear Coxy. We dismissed the X1 in 2018 as neither the interior quality nor standard equipment level impressed us. It looked and felt very much like a budget BMW. Although the 2021 MY changes were just a facelift, rather than a new model, we were very impressed with the improvements. The interior quality is much improved and it has around £2,500 more kit as standard. We also prefer the styling tweaks that came with the facelift. We only managed to drive two 18d’s (one xLine with standard seats and one M-Sport with Sports Seats) and that engine was a peach, but I’m sure that the 20i petrol engine will be fine for us. I have driven a 520i and loved the engine in that. I don’t think that the 20i engine in the X1 is quite as powerful, but it’s a smaller / lighter car so should be up to the job.

#157683 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

That’s great to hear Coxy. We dismissed the X1 in 2018 as neither the interior quality nor standard equipment level impressed us. It looked and felt very much like a budget BMW. Although the 2021 MY changes were just a facelift, rather than a new model, we were very impressed with the improvements. The interior quality is much improved and it has around £2,500 more kit as standard. We also prefer the styling tweaks that came with the facelift. We only managed to drive two 18d’s (one xLine with standard seats and one M-Sport with Sports Seats) and that engine was a peach, but I’m sure that the 20i petrol engine will be fine for us. I have driven a 520i and loved the engine in that. I don’t think that the 20i engine in the X1 is quite as powerful, but it’s a smaller / lighter car so should be up to the job.

Something I found interesting, the AWD with the exact same 2.0 engine is actually quicker than the 2wd, despite presumably being heavier, maybe due to the better traction and grip ?

#157686 Reply
    Landyman

Glos Guy or anybody else who has ordered a new X1 can I ask about the auto box, did it have gear change paddles on the steering wheel?

I’ve got a 18 plate X1 Xdrive 2.0 d and I love the auto box and I regularly use the paddels. I’ve just returned a X2 25E Msport 21 plate hybrid which I had as a courtesy car. The gear lever felt and looked cheep in comparison to my X1 and no change paddels on the steering wheel.

#157687 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Not so Mitch, I picked ours today from a choice of 7.

#157688 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Something I found interesting, the AWD with the exact same 2.0 engine is actually quicker than the 2wd, despite presumably being heavier, maybe due to the better traction and grip ?

For reasons that I don’t understand, the 4WD version has a different (and much better) auto transmission than the 2WD. It’s also 8 speed versus 7 in the 2WD. Having driven both 2WD and 4WD versions of the X1 the 4WD definitely felt quicker as it had better traction when pulling away from rest and when driving ‘keenly’ 😂

#157691 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy or anybody else who has ordered a new X1 can I ask about the auto box, did it have gear change paddles on the steering wheel? I’ve got a 18 plate X1 Xdrive 2.0 d and I love the auto box and I regularly use the paddels. I’ve just returned a X2 25E Msport 21 plate hybrid which I had as a courtesy car. The gear lever felt and looked cheep in comparison to my X1 and no change paddels on the steering wheel.

I think it does Landyman but, unlike you, I hate paddle shifts. I never use them and find that they can foul my hands at times. In fact, on our Tiguan (which has them) I find myself occasionally activating them in error. TBH, if you could delete them I would!

#157693 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

For reasons that I don’t understand, the 4WD version has a different (and much better) auto transmission than the 2WD. It’s also 8 speed versus 7 in the 2WD. Having driven both 2WD and 4WD versions of the X1 the 4WD definitely felt quicker as it had better traction when pulling away from rest and when driving ‘keenly’ 😂

You learn something every day, cheers 😊

#157698 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

The BMW 8 speed auto box is a joy.

#157706 Reply
    Carla

That’s great news Coxy.  I have gone for the automatic  this time, so apprehensive but can’t wait.

I have loved the X1 and really looking forward to the ‘parking’ 😂

#157749 Reply
    Shellie

@carla yeah me too I’m looking forward to the parking even tho apprehensive lol also ordered my first automatic

#157770 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Carla & Shellie – You will love having an auto. Just plant your left foot on the foot rest and forget that it exists! Modern autos are as economical as manuals, perform better and make driving a relaxing pleasure.

As for auto parking, I don’t use it much but when I do, I perform a ‘jazz hands’ routine as the car magically parks itself, purely because it irritates my wife who has a mistrust of such technology and thinks it is the stuff of the devil 😂. I don’t know if the X1 system works the same as our current Tiguan, but it can also drive you out of very tight spaces, as well as park in them. It’s the same technology as is used to park you, but operating in reverse.

#157780 Reply
    John Morris

They should be no problem choosing from a selection of registrations. Just make sure you request it in time. We have had 3 new motability cars and 4 new private cars since 2002 and had the choice of 10-15 every time. Even our current car picked up in March we had a choice of at least 15.  It’s amazing how easy it is to find some sort of familiarity or a personal meaning with a certain number plate. Good luck.

#158344 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Update on my X1 order – Dealer emailed me this morning to say that the car is on a ship bound for the UK and should be at the dealers the middle of next week, so delivery before the end of the month looks likely (which will be 4 months from ordering).

I asked if we could have some choice over registration number and the answer was yes, although apparently it’s done on a live DVLA system and numbers disappear as you are looking at them, so speed is of the essence. Will take delivery immediately on a 21 plate rather than wait until September. Keen to hand the Tiguan back 😂

#158375 Reply
    Shellie

@gloss guy that’s brilliant mine is getting built end of this month due to dealership 1-5 September so should be on course for ours

#158377 Reply
    Shellie
    Participant

Sorry put  your name wrong @glos guy my predictive text

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Shellie.
    #158506 Reply
    Please park between the lines

If you can extend your lease there is a new BMW X1 comming out next year so maybe hold on for that because you will kick yourself driving the old model which looks dated inside and then six months later see the new model

#158507 Reply

Type 2022 bmw x1 into YouTube to find out more

#158512 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

If you can extend your lease there is a new BMW X1 comming out next year so maybe hold on for that because you will kick yourself driving the old model which looks dated inside and then six months later see the new model

Hi. Yes I’m aware that there’s an all new model coming out next year (although no official details have been released yet, so anything online is mostly speculation) and we could have extended the lease on our current car but decided not too for several reasons. Firstly, there is no release date yet, so by the time it’s launched we would be some way through our next lease anyway. Secondly, there is no guarantee that it will appear on Motability from launch. Sometimes new cars can take some months to appear. When it does appear, there might be limited choice available through the Motability scheme and at high AP’s, at least initially, whereas at present we can get the most powerful petrol engine in the most desirable (for us) trim level and with 4WD at a good price. The way that the Motability scheme is going, with less and less choice, there is no guarantee that the top level engines and trims will even appear with the next model.

New model BMW’s tend to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary and a bit ‘spot the difference’, so I’d be surprised if the new one looks massively different. The interior will definitely get a refresh which will include a digital dash (have one at present and think they are over-rated) and iDrive 7, but iDrive 6 is still better than the infotainment system in any other cars that we can get on Motability, so won’t be a hardship. They might adopt the trend towards touch controls, but I prefer buttons 😂 Some of the options that I have gone for on our X1 (such as Head-up display) won’t be standard on the new model, so I really don’t think I will be kicking myself and feel hard done by when the new one comes out.

Finally, I’m done with our VW Tiguan and desperate for a change now. I’m happy to drive the current X1 for the next 3 years, during which time the new one will be launched, reviewed, appear on the scheme (hopefully), model choice improved (hopefully) and AP’s settle down (hopefully). Then we can order one next time.

Our new X1 has arrived in the UK and we should get it within the next couple of weeks, but with wait times of four months plus I would accept that if we were only able to order from Q4 onwards then I’d be tempted to wait for the new model, but as described above that approach is not without risk.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #158543 Reply

Glos Guy that is a very comprehensive reply I wish you all the joy and happiness with new car and of course we are entering a period of Hyper inflation so the AP could go up considerably so its a sensible decision.

I’m going to roll the dice and see what happens next year as the car choice is extensive however there is nothing for me at the moment the nice thing is I have the choice to stay with the scheme or if there still  is nothing suitable I can walk away and go private so its in Motability’s interest to adapt and change otherwise they will see more people leave the scheme as there will be a lot of competition as new car sales will evolve into subscriptions and you will own nothing and be happy part of the build back better mantra

I do hope motability don’t get caught napping because markets are disrupted by new flight of foot tech companies think Uber deliveroo etc change is comming and we can look forward to confusing tariffs and surge pricing so that if you drive your EV that is connected to the Internet of things it will charge you the current rate for that time or geographical area the possibilities to collect revenue from a EV are endless as it will report where it is what speed what time and where it could even charge you for parking all in the one app and that all might make us think if there is another way to make a journey

#158544 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy ,

No wonder you’re glad to see the back of your Tiguan, you seem to have a right lemon on your hands. Iv’e got the same model as you but have suffered none of your problems, hope the x1 is kinder to you.

#158632 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Our X1 is now in the UK and due at the dealers next Wednesday. We have arranged to pick up on Friday. That will be 17 weeks from ordering. We are lucky as another of the dealers customers ordered an X1 in December and their car has been pushed back several times and is now due in August! We had a choice of registration plate from a limited run of 9 consecutive ones.

#158640 Reply
    Landyman

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s good news Glos Guy.</p>

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
Reply To: BMW order X1
Your information: