Ask gotitjulie

• Creator
    Topic
  • #130249 Reply
    Brydo

Julie I’m sorry if I’ve put you in it here but you have so much practical knowledge and experience of EVs  that you seem the perfect person to answer any related questions.

Once again I apologise if this puts you on the spot and if you are not up for it, and why should you be😂, wmc can remove the thread completely.

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #130491 Reply
    Carl

Great info julie.  Another Q for you.

How long did it take for chargemaster to fit the home EV charger?  Are we talking weeks or months??

I’ve been offered a stock EV and im tempted but mobility wontvtake calls at the moment, sonim struggling to find out time scales.

#130498 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

I didn’t get a home “EV charger” fitted, it was early on in the Chargemaster contract with Motability and they messed me about so I had a 32A commando socket fitted instead, at my own cost, & I then use an OHME charger plugged into that 32A commando socket to achieve a far smarter charging solution.

However, Chargemaster did contact me a few weeks before the car was due for pick-up & were wanting vehicle registration document etc before the car had even been registered, so they’re quick off the mark, & now they even ask for the correct documentation (copy of the Motability order).

#130499 Reply
    Philjb

What’s this big red button these kids are pressing for?
    self destruct?

#130503 Reply
    Fordmax

My e208 peugeot is meant to charge to idealistically give 220 miles. Given that it resides in the chilly North East, and it’s winter, last week a full charge showed as only giving 139miles. I drive in economy mode, and keep to between 50-60 mph on faster roads and motorways.

I’m dreading the really cold weather we normally get in January.  I imagine it’ll be down to even futher to 100 miles per charge.

I keep seeing folk in mg zs’s which only have a small range to start with and wondering how depleted they are by cold weather….

Also, you are much better getting a non-tethered ev home charger. Otherwise, you will have to buy your own cable (roughly £150-200 I think?) to use if you want to take advantage of free supermarket charging. I can “gain” 20-25 miles in an hour and half, whilst shopping, so there’s a definite incentive to keep plugging in whilst out and about.

#130507 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

What’s this big red button these kids are pressing for? self destruct?

ooh yes, it’s Rudolph’s nose…

… well, it’s really the EMERGENCY STOP button, not all chargers have these (the Ionity chargers don’t), the kids pressing this will cost you 5 minutes waiting extra, or, if you’ve left the car you’ll come back to find your charging session was stopped maybe 1/2 hour back & you need to start all over again.

If you come across a charger which is showing a fault onscreen, or that has simply got stuck, pressing the emergency button & then turning it & popping it back out again resets the charger, so then it boots up, does its checks & 5 minutes later it’ll either work or it’ll decide it’s still broken. I have done this at a Polar charger near J11 of the M4 (Reading), the charger rebooted & then worked properly, it had been reported out of order but just needed to be “turned off & on again”.

If you phone the helpline number on the charger they will try to remotely reboot it or ask you to try the reboot yourself, so don’t waste 1/2 hour waiting for them to answer, just reboot the thing.

You could also do the decent thing & leave a note on ZapMap that you needed to reboot the charger, as no doubt someone else will arrive later on & it’ll need another reset.

#130508 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

I can “gain” 20-25 miles in an hour and half, whilst shopping, so there’s a definite incentive to keep plugging in whilst out and about.

Fordmax, are you also having the problem that because the electricity at the supermarket chargers is free you feel the need to drive further to make use of that electricity? (i.e. go the long way round & enjoy yourself).

As for range, yes, it’s winter & my range is much depleted although I’m still getting around 3.5 m/kWh if I’m careful in Normal mode with the heater & seat heater on. Living in the south I might get away with it only dropping to around 3.2m/kWh unless we get a cold snap. The e-2008 is a little worse across the board on range, max range quoted at 193 miles which I did achieve in the summer.

I find the seat heater uses less electricity, but, you’ll need the aircon for demisting the windscreen.

#130510 Reply
    Carl

Great info again Julie, didn’t know you could just fit a 32a commando socket….. Does it charge at the same 7kwh rate or is it quicker charging.

My head is spinning with all the ev options I can’t get to sleep thinking about it lol.

#130511 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

With a 32A commando socket you would need an additional charger, i.e the OHME charger, and yes, the 32A commando socket with the OHME charger will give you around 32A (most of us who use it appear to get a little less indicated, but I noticed that my OHME charger is saying it’s being supplied with 241V which I guess is the nice local supply voltage. I believe that 32Amps at 241Volts would be 7.53kW which would be too high as these are 7.2kW max chargers, hence the current being drawn is lower than 32A, your mains voltage will no doubt vary due to different cable lengths etc.

Note that my cable from fuse box to 32A commando socket is 10mm² 3 Core PVC SWA XLPE Armoured Cable and there a 32A SP 6kA Type B MCB at the other end & then an RCD that currently only serves that circuit, so it’s a pretty hefty looking setup, the cable being rated at something like 63A so it’ll never get hot. I was lucky in that previously someone had put an extra tail in from the meter for the second fuse box, you may need one put in if you have no spare space in your fuse box.

This is serious electrics for a house so you will need a suitably tamed & qualified electrician. Ask electrician to make certain all the connections are torqued up correctly (mine was surprised I asked, most would not know).

#130512 Reply
    ajn

Great reading Thanks gothitjulie.

#130514 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

What’s this big red button these kids are pressing for? self destruct?

ooh yes, it’s Rudolph’s nose… … well, it’s really the EMERGENCY STOP button, not all chargers have these (the Ionity chargers don’t), the kids pressing this will cost you 5 minutes waiting extra, or, if you’ve left the car you’ll come back to find your charging session was stopped maybe 1/2 hour back & you need to start all over again. If you come across a charger which is showing a fault onscreen, or that has simply got stuck, pressing the emergency button & then turning it & popping it back out again resets the charger, so then it boots up, does its checks & 5 minutes later it’ll either work or it’ll decide it’s still broken. I have done this at a Polar charger near J11 of the M4 (Reading), the charger rebooted & then worked properly, it had been reported out of order but just needed to be “turned off & on again”. If you phone the helpline number on the charger they will try to remotely reboot it or ask you to try the reboot yourself, so don’t waste 1/2 hour waiting for them to answer, just reboot the thing. You could also do the decent thing & leave a note on ZapMap that you needed to reboot the charger, as no doubt someone else will arrive later on & it’ll need another reset.

That would worry me especially when i have seen reviews from people in areas where they are seeing temps as low as -5 and still reporting only a 20 to 30 mile drop in range when your talking about a 50% drop. Im hoping the soul at 280 will certainly be staying above 200 in even in the coldest months especially as its equipped with a heat pump or i may have to re consider which vehicle i choose next.

----------------------------
    Tiguan SEL Auto in Tungsten Silver
    Metal Detectorist & scale modeller
    in my spare time

#130515 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Dammit wrong quote again DOH meant for Fordmax

Tiguan SEL Auto in Tungsten Silver
    Metal Detectorist & scale modeller
    in my spare time

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Ask gotitjulie
Your information: